SUNY Canton Logo



We Are Canton.

Adaptability.
Endurance.
Innovation.
Accessibility.



SUNY Canton started as the School of Agriculture on land adjacent to St. Lawrence University in 1906. The College moved across town to its present location in 1967. Over the years, the college has gone through several name changes. It has been known as the School of Agriculture, New York State Agricultural and Technical Institute at Canton (1941), State University of New York Agricultural and Technical Institute (1948), State University of New York Agricultural and Technical College at Canton (1965), State University of New York College of Technology at Canton (1987) and since 1993, SUNY Canton.

Arrow Down

Enrollments at St. Lawrence University and Canton ATI were expanding rapidly. Both institutions were outgrowing the space around Park Street. By 1960, it was obvious that Canton ATI needed to find its own campus. Many locations were explored from Ogdensburg to Watertown. In 1961, Edson Martin graciously donated the needed land to keep the college in Canton. SUNY Canton has since grown and prospered over the last "50 Years on the Hill."

By his words, and above all, by the vigor of his shovel, Governor Rockefeller had made it certain that an expanded ATI will rise on its own campus on a hilltop which the Governor declared to be one of the most magnificent sites for a university in the whole of New York State.

- Editor Ralph Heinzen, St. Lawrence Plaindealer

Construction on the new campus started in 1965. It was a huge undertaking that took three years to complete. A number of female students began living in Heritage Hall in 1966. They were bused back to the old campus for classes. Chaney Dining Center started operations in 1966 to service these students. The first classes started on the new campus in the fall of 1967, followed by a dedication in 1968.

We did everything within three years. What we built would normally take ten years to complete. There was nothing here to begin with - just a big hill overlooking the river.

- Robert Burns, Facilities Coordinator for the new campus

In 1972, Dr. Earl MacArthur became president of Canton ATC and served until 1992. MacArthur's major accomplishments included the founding of the Canton College Foundation and the Office of Sponsored Research. Enrollments reached 2,833 in 1975, a record at the time. In 1973 the College began to computerize many student and budget records. By 1974 the first Word Processing Center was created. This photo depicts Edson Martin receiving the 1976 Distinguished Citizen Award.

The Agricultural and Technology President's Association agreed to change the sector name to "colleges of technology." In 1987 the College became the State University of New York College of Technology at Canton.

In 1993, SUNY Canton became an acceptable shortened name for the College. Dr. Joseph Kennedy started as college president on July 1, 1993 and went on to lead the College for twenty years.

The largest and most comprehensive fundraising campaign in SUNY Canton’s 100-year history successfully ended in October 2009. The SUNY Canton Centennial Campaign was launched in 2003 with the goal of raising $10 million by 2010. Campaign Co-Chairs Ronald L. (class of '59) and Blanche K. (honorary alumna, class of '06) Woodcock announced the campaign’s end after raising a grand total of just over $11.3 million. The College’s previous campaign raised about $1 million.

President Kennedy led SUNY Canton to record enrollments, 24 new bachelor's degrees, four-year athletics, a new mascot, and the invention of SUNY Canton OnLine. New buildings included the Miller Campus Center, the Newell Veterinary Technology Building, Roos House Athletic Center, and Kennedy Hall (formerly Grasse River Suites).

President Szafran was selected as SUNY Canton's fourth president in 2014. Since his arrival, the College has added 3 new bachelor's degree programs with many more in the pipeline. Enrollments also keep increasing in popular Winter and Summer off-term sessions.