50 Acts of Kindness
1. Puerto Rico Donation Drive benefits those impacted by Hurricane Maria
Students and staff delivered a truckload of emergency supplies to Syracuse on Monday in support of New York Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo’s Empire State Relief and Recovery Effort for Puerto Rico. Organizers said it was one of the largest donations from a single organization thus far.
2. Several student organizations helped the SUNY Canton President’s Office hold the annual children’s Holiday party
More than 100 children had the chance to meet Santa, read stories and watch movies in the college’s Kingston Theater.
5. Brother II Brother organization held an auction fundraiser to generate funds for Puerto Rico aid
6. Construction Technology Management students volunteer to help renovate the North Country Children’s Museum
Students in SUNY Canton’s Wood Structures lab gained valuable real-world experience by helping the North Country Children’s Museum renovate their new Potsdam location.
Led by experienced faculty, the students have helped with several projects at the museum’s building behind The Tile Co. at 10 Raymond Street. Most recently, the students leveled the floors and framed walls in the building’s classroom space.
7. Men’s soccer team holds youth clinic
9. Women’s basketball team helps St. Mary’s Church move Gabriel Project office to new location on Main Street
10. Alternative and Renewable Energy students help Birdsfoot Farm repair solar energy system
SUNY Canton students are helping Birdsfoot Farm in Canton remain an environmentally-friendly community.
Kibria K. Roman, an instructor in the Alternative and Renewable Energy Systems program, said that his students will be augmenting their classroom instruction this semester by volunteering their time to troubleshoot and make repairs to the farm’s solar units.
13. SUNY Canton Giving Tree project raises funds and toys for low-income families in St. Lawrence County
16. Greek organizations volunteer at “Phantoms in the Park” event
17. Bras Across Campus event raises awareness about breast cancer
The fundraiser saw proceeds go to the Feel Your Boobies Foundation, which provides the college’s breast cancer prevention educational materials.
22. SUNY CANTON AND FORT DRUM’S SOLAR READY VETS PROGRAM BRINGS POWER TO NORWOOD FOUNTAIN
Fort Drum soldiers enrolled in SUNY Canton’s Solar Ready Vets program installed photovoltaic panels to power Norwood’s landmark fountain.
25. Women's lacrosse recently volunteered as bell-ringers for the Salvation Army (pictured are MaryClare Bowes and Mia Jermano)
27. Students in the Heating and Plumbing Service certificate program assist with Habitat for Humanity project
32. Men's Basketball team helped decorate Southworth Library for the holidays
37. Students made 20 blankets for patients at area hospitals as part of the college’s Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service.
38. The Criminal Justice Student Association hosted a three-day blood drive to benefit the Red Cross February 19-21.
39. Students, faculty and staff donated canned goods to the Student Affairs Food Pantry on National TRiO Day, February 22.
40. The Veterinary Technician Association volunteered at the North Country Animal Shelter in Malone Feb. 17.
41. The Veterinary Technician Association volunteered for the Focus on Ferals organization in St. Regis Falls Feb. 24.
42. The women’s hockey team held a Law Enforcement K-9 Appreciation Night Feb. 17 and collected donations for local police dogs.
43. Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society held a holiday pie fundraiser and donated 16 pies to the Campus Kitchens initiative.
44. The College Association worked with young women from Troop 50328 to purchase and distribute a free box of Girl Scout cookies to students with a meal plan at Chaney Dining Center.
45. The sisters of Kappa Xi Omega sorority held a fundraiser in April for the American Heart Association’s 2018 Heart Walk in support of SUNY Canton alumna and Kappa Xi sister, Kayla Gardner.
46. SUNY Canton Partners with Crane School of Music to Raise over $1,600 for Puerto Rico Relief Efforts