50 Acts of Kindness
1. Several student organizations helped the SUNY Canton President’s Office hold the annual children’s Holiday party
More than 100 children had the chance to meet Santa, read stories and watch movies in the college’s Kingston Theater.
2. Puerto Rico Donation Drive benefits those impacted by Hurricane Maria
Students and staff delivered a truckload of emergency supplies to Syracuse on Monday in support of New York Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo’s Empire State Relief and Recovery Effort for Puerto Rico. Organizers said it was one of the largest donations from a single organization thus far.
5. Brother II Brother organization held an auction fundraiser to generate funds for Puerto Rico aid
6. Construction Technology Management students volunteer to help renovate the North Country Children’s Museum
Students in SUNY Canton’s Wood Structures lab gained valuable real-world experience by helping the North Country Children’s Museum renovate their new Potsdam location.
Led by experienced faculty, the students have helped with several projects at the museum’s building behind The Tile Co. at 10 Raymond Street. Most recently, the students leveled the floors and framed walls in the building’s classroom space.
7. Men’s soccer team holds youth clinic
9. Women’s basketball team helps St. Mary’s Church move Gabriel Project office to new location on Main Street
10. Alternative and Renewable Energy students help Birdsfoot Farm repair solar energy system
SUNY Canton students are helping Birdsfoot Farm in Canton remain an environmentally-friendly community.
Kibria K. Roman, an instructor in the Alternative and Renewable Energy Systems program, said that his students will be augmenting their classroom instruction this semester by volunteering their time to troubleshoot and make repairs to the farm’s solar units.
12. SUNY Canton Giving Tree project raises funds and toys for low-income families in St. Lawrence County
15. Greek organizations volunteer at “Phantoms in the Park” event
16. Bras Across Campus event raises awareness about breast cancer
The fundraiser saw proceeds go to the Feel Your Boobies Foundation, which provides the college’s breast cancer prevention educational materials.
20. SUNY CANTON AND FORT DRUM’S SOLAR READY VETS PROGRAM BRINGS POWER TO NORWOOD FOUNTAIN
Fort Drum soldiers enrolled in SUNY Canton’s Solar Ready Vets program installed photovoltaic panels to power Norwood’s landmark fountain.
23. Women's lacrosse recently volunteered as bell-ringers for the Salvation Army (pictured are MaryClare Bowes and Mia Jermano)
25. Students in the Heating and Plumbing Service certificate program assist with Habitat for Humanity project
30. Men's Basketball team helped decorate Southworth Library for the holidays