Work Study - Supervisor Information
About the Federal Work Study Program
Students interested in applying for Work Study should first talk to the Financial Aid Office. Based on their financial aid application (FAFSA), the Financial Aid Office compiles a financial aid package which MAY include Work Study. The Financial Aid Office will notify a student if they are awarded Work Study and tell them how to get started. Students will visit the Career Services to select a job and complete the required paperwork.
Because of campus demand, Work Study awarded students can be selective in the jobs they pursue.
Requesting a Work Study Student
Simply fill out and submit the form below. (which you need to complete each term).
While filling out the form below, think about how to attract a Work Study student to actually apply for your position. You may want to:
- Make your position sound compelling - not just "answer phones"
- Market your position; talk with current student workers
- Add details about your job
- Make the position attractive and professionally beneficial
Your Responsibilities as Supervisor
Once you hire students, you are the supervisor and are responsible for:
- Reminding students to return their W-4 forms to Career Services
- Ensuring you have sufficient work for your student to earn their full award
- Keeping track of the number of students you hire
*Be conscious of your hires. If you have hired more students than you have requested, those students will be reassigned.*
- Submitting time sheets to Payroll on time
(Time sheets are available here)
Notes on Fields
- School Year: Requests must be submitted annually. A separate request for the summer term is required.
- Special Schedule Requirements : Any special times or days required of a student (mornings, lunch hour, weekends)
- Special Skill Requirements: Any skills or courses required of students
SUNY Canton Career Services Office
Miller Campus Center, Room 134
34 Cornell Drive
Canton, NY 13617
Office: (315) 386-7119
Fax: (315) 386-7980