Requirements to Enter
Students must be citizens of the United States of America or lawfully residing within the United States of America. Students may not be convicted of a felony.
Basic Course for Police Officers:
I. In County Sworn Police Officers
By agreement between SUNY Canton through the David Sullivan - St. Lawrence County Law Enforcement and the law enforcement leadership (Sheriff and local Police Chiefs) in St. Lawrence County, SUNY Canton will not charge In-County Sworn Police Officer student/cadets a tuition fee if no college credit is requested. The law enforcement leadership (Sheriff and local Police Chiefs) will provide certified police instructors to instruct in the annual St. Lawrence County Law Enforcement Academy, as needed.
If college credit (currently 12 credit hours) is desired, the police officer must matriculate through the Admissions Office and pay the full semester tuition and fees (currently $3,442.00). Financial aid is available if the police officer qualifies. Each officer is responsible for uniforms (patches), textbooks, parking and vehicle registration fees.
*Tuition and fees to be paid at the Student Service Center in the lower level of French Hall.
II. Out of County Sworn Police Officers
On a space available basis, out of county sworn police officers will be admitted to the David Sullivan - St. Lawrence County Law Enforcement Academy upon receipt of payment of a $850.00 entrance fee. By agreement, the course audit fee is waived but each of these officers must complete a course audit form.
If college credit is desired (currently 12 credit hours) the police officer must matriculate through the Admissions Office and pay the full semester tuition and fees (currently $3,442.00). Financial aid is available if the student/cadet qualifies. Each cadet/officer is responsible for uniforms (patches, textbooks, parking and vehicle registration fees.
On-campus housing is available to the officer as follows: Housing available on a space available basis (double room currently $2,900.00). Housing needs can be arranged through Office of Residence Life at 386-7513.
A choice of meal plans is available along with Roo Express Accounts. The current price is $1,995.00 for the entire semester. The Roo Express can be used at any food operation, the Campus Store, and the Textbook Center. Officers living off campus/commuting can purchase Roo Express accounts at any amount for use at food services, vending machines and campus stores.
*Tuition, Housing, Roo Accounts, and Vehicle Registration/Parking fees are to be paid at the Student Accounts Office, in the lower level of French Hall.
III. SUNY Canton Criminal Justice Students/Graduates
For registered matriculated Criminal Justice students, Police Academy admission requirements are:
- A minimum of 2.0 GPA (if you have college experience) prior to application for admission to the Police Academy or
- Approval by Criminal Justice Department Coordinator, Advisor, or Director of Police Academy.
- Completed Police Academy application returned to the Director of the Police Academy. Applications can be picked up at the Police Academy Office in Payson Hall, Room 113, anytime after each Fall semester begins.
- Successfully complete the entrance level (Cooper Standards-40th percentile) level physical fitness test, conducted by the Police Academy after completing application paperwork.
- Oral interview by the Board of Directors of the David Sullivan-St. Lawrence County Law Enforcement Academy.
- Background investigation completed by a St. Lawrence County Law Enforcement Agency, if required by the Academy Board of Directors.
- Pre-schedule for: Police Academy (Pre-Employment Police Basic Training)
- All fees (Tuition, Housing, Roo Accounts, Vehicle Reg./Parking) to be paid at the Student Service Center, lower level of French Hall.
- Textbooks, uniforms and appropriate patches are the responsibility of the student/cadet (see Police Academy - Director for details).
- Must enroll as a Full Time Student with the college.
- Must comply with all of the policies, procedures and regulations of the Police Academy.
- Entrance into academy may be determined on a space available basis.
Admission/registration process: Same as III above and/or
- On a space available basis
- Reviewed on individual basis by the Academy Board of Directors.
St. Lawrence County
Law Enforcement Academy
34 Cornell Drive
Canton, NY 13617