Home > Admissions > International Students

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

**Please click questions to reveal answers

The portion of the process that takes the longest is usually gathering and attaining all the necessary documents. If our records show that we are missing any information from you, we will place your application on hold and send you a letter listing what documents are still needed. Once your application is complete, and ALL documents are received by our office, it can take up to two weeks for a decision to be made. It is rare for a decision to take longer than that; however an occasional rush of applications can cause a delay. Please feel free to contact the office if you have any concerns about your application status.

We will only accept evaluations by one of the two following organizations : World Education Services (WES) at www.wes.org or Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) at www.ece.org.

We recommend you acquire information from establishments such as the Association of International Studies (NAFSA), or American Evaluation Association (AEA), if you have concerns about the evaluation process.

Yes, unless the transcript is from an English speaking territory in Canada.

The financial statement allows you to add several financial components together. The purpose is to reflect how you intend to pay for school. Therefore, you can include assets like scholarships, loans, personal savings, etc. An office or bank official for each amount represented must sign and provide a formal document reflecting that the amount is in fact in your or your sponsor’s name. The total amount must be equal to one year of tuition plus room and board (approximately $24,000 for a Bachelors degree and $18,000 for Associate’s degree). Anyone that is older than 24 years of age, or has already received approval for off campus living from our residence life office, will still need to reflect these costs, as they include living expenses regardless of housing designation.

Yes, there are many scholarships available for our students. Scholarships are awarded to incoming students, continuing students and transfers. There will be a half sheet eligibility notice in your acceptance packet if you qualify for consideration. This sheet will have instructions on how to submit a scholarship application. Please know that this will take place after your initial application, which includes the financial statement. Therefore, you must reflect the ability to afford attendance without scholarship and then any monies awarded after will be deducted.

This is a matter of preference. Regardless of when they come in, we are not able to process a decision until all documents have been received. If not all documents are in, we place your file on hold and send you a letter informing you of what we still need.

If you apply on-line, and choose to pay the $50 application fee by check or money order, be sure to send it to:

Application Services Center
The State University of New York
State University Plaza
P.O. Box 2007
Albany, NY 12201-2007

All other documents should be sent directly to our office:

SUNY Canton Admissions
34 Cornell Drive
Canton, NY 13617

If you decide to fill out the paper application and send it to the Application Services Center, instead of applying on-line, there should be a pre-paid envelope to put the application and fee in. All other documents should be sent directly to our office.

All applications go through the SUNY processing center before reaching us. Once your payment is received, your data is uploaded into a system which we are able to access. Applying on-line is often the fastest method, especially if you pay the fee on-line at the same time. Neither method is more efficient than the other; again, it is a matter of preference.

Yes, however it is not likely that you will have to take an English proficiency exam (ex. TOEFL or IELTS). We will still ask that you have the English proficiency report completed by a school official. You will need to have your I-20 transferred to SUNY Canton if you intend on continuing your education in the United States. Please be responsible and take the necessary steps to complete the transfer.

Office of Admissions
SUNY Canton
34 Cornell Drive
Canton, NY 13617

(315) 386-7123 or
Fax: (315) 386-7929