100% Online - This SUNY Canton degree can be earned entirely online.
Emergency Management - B. Tech
Key Program Features
Our emergency management degree is unique because we focus on getting students experience with developing exercises, using cutting edge incident management and emergency operating center technology:
- 7-week sessions for most classes
- Regular tabletop and functional exercises with local, state and Federal Agencies
- One of only a handful of online emergency management degree programs in the nation!
- Internships at local, state and Federal agencies
- Students use industry-leading Graphical Information System (GIS) and Virtual Emergency Operations Center (WEBEOC - used by 25 states and virtually all Federal agencies)
"This is probably the biggest environmental disaster we have ever faced in this country. It is certainly the biggest oil spill and we are responding with the biggest environmental response."
President Obama's Energy Czar
(photo from FEMA archives)
Hands on Education
- Virtual disaster simulations
- Operating an Emergency Operations Center and an Incident Command Center
- Hazard modeling
The U.S. Dept. of Labor (DOL) indicates that Emergency Management will be among the fastest growing fields in the U.S. through at least 2012.
- Positions for emergency management specialists will grow 28.2% by 2012.
- As of 2002, there were approximately 10,948 positions listed nationwide with the DOL.
- Careers are available in local, state, and federal emergency management as well as homeland security agencies.
- Other career opportunities are within criminal justice, fire service, and public health fields.
The Emergency and Disaster Management degree is one of SUNY Canton's signature online programs. Students don't have to travel to take an online course, eliminating geographic barriers. Because Internet courses don't have set classroom schedules, students can participate at any hour and from anywhere, even from your job.
Dr. Michael J. O'Connor Jr.
Associate Professor of Emergency Management
34 Cornell Drive
Canton, New York 13617