French Hall is named after Dr. Albert E. French, former President of SUNY Canton (1948-1968). French Hall houses the Office of Admissions, Human Resources, Alumni Association, SUNY Canton Foundation, Payroll, and the Business office. Students will find the Student Service Center that features Financial Aid, the Registrar, and Career Services.
Cook Hall is named after Dr. Herbert Ellis Cook who was Dean/Director of the School of Agriculture(1908-1917). The first building on the old campus was also named after Cook. Cook Hall is home to the School of Science, Health and Criminal Justice. Cook contains mortuary science facilities, science labs, the Science Tutoring Center and nursing facilities.
The MacArthur Hall, previously known as the Faculty Office Building (FOB) is the tallest building on campus. It sits on the academic plaza across from Payson Hall. The FOB is connected on its left to Cook Hall and on its right, to Wicks Hall. This view is looking up from the residence halls.
The School of Business & Liberal Arts is housed in the FOB. Since February 1997, the offices of the President, Provost, and Vice President have been located on the sixth floor of the FOB.
JT's, located in the Halford Lobby of the FOB, serves specialty coffees, bagels, homemade soups, and deli sandwiches on freshly baked breads and rolls.
Payson Hall was named in honor of Dr. James Milford Payson, who worked at the School of Agriculture for 22 years. Payson Hall is the home for Criminal Justice and Emergency Managment. Many students can be found analyzing "crime scenes" in the Crime Scene Observation Lab. The St. Lawrence County Police Academy also houses facilities here.
The Distance Learning room is also located in Payson. The DL Room allows interaction between students and faculty all over the world. Currently courses are offered from SUNY Canton to Bosnia-Herzegovina, Russia, Ukraine, and China.
Wicks Hall was named after Rollo E. Wicks (led general education for many years) in 1983. Wicks contains many liberal studies classrooms and lecture halls, in addition to two computer labs. Newly remodeled nursing and physical therapy labs also occupy Wicks. To the north side of Wicks is the main rampway to the Academic Mall.
Nevaldine Technology Center
Nevaldine Technology Center is home to the Canino School of Engineering and Technology. Peter Nevaldine was an Electricity Instructor from 1937-1973.
Nevaldine North houses the Engineering-related programs and Information Technology. Nevaldine South houses the automotive, motorsports, building trades, heating and plumbing, and air conditioning programs.
Miller Campus Center
The Miller Campus Center is a $12 million dollar facility that opened in 2002. As a result of a fire in Kingston Theatre in 1997, a new Campus Center and Theatre were built. The center was renamed in 2004 after Professor Emeritus Richard W. Miller's generous contributions.
The left wing of the ground level contains various student activity offices and multipurpose meeting spaces. The right side contains lounge space, a staircase and atrium, and a conference room that overlooks Kingston Theater. Lounge spaces are located on both the upper and lower levels of the building. The Miller Campus Center also contains the new Kingston Theater, the Campus Store and Textbook Center, mailroom, Health Center, Rendezvous dining center, and an intramural gymnasium.
Southworth Library is home to college archives, Information Services, and the HelpDesk. The principles for finding information on a research question are the same whether one is actually in the library or sitting at home in front of a computer. Wherever you are located, Southworth Library will assist you with your academic activities. Southworth was named after Lottie Southworth, one of the important women in the early history of the college.
One of the most popular eateries on campus, The Cyber Cafe, features Starbuck's Coffee and Espresso, fresh salads, panini's and wraps, along with specialty desserts. Many student will take a break from studying to enjoy refreshments served at Southworth.
Chaney Dining Center
Chaney Dining Center is the main campus dining hall which serves meals continuously throughout the day to residential students, commuters, and campus guests. Chaney is located close to the residence halls and has beautiful views of the Grasse River out of its floor-to-ceiling windows.
Students and staff can also find other suitable options around campus. Other Dining facilities include: Rendezvous located in the Miller Campus Center, Serendipity in the Miller Campus Center, the Cyber Cafe in Southworth Library, JT's in the Faculty Office Building, and Deb's Corner in Nevaldine.
Residence Halls: Heritage, Mohawk, Rushton, and Smith
SUNY Canton has four residence halls to house its student population, each within close distance to the academic facilities. Students can choose between traditional, co-ed, intensive quiet, and apartment style suites. The Residence Hall Program attempts to develop an atmosphere in which students grow personally, socially, emotionally, culturally and academically. Living in the residence halls affords each student the total college experience.
The apartment-style complex has 304 beds grouped into 83 independent living suites and is adjacent to the Cooper Service Complex. The residence hall is designed primarily for upper class students and includes a mini-store, multi-purpose classroom, and an open courtyard for recreation and outdoor activities.
The $26 million project was financed through bonds secured by a partnership created with the Town of Canton and the Canton Capital Resource Corporation. The Grasse River Suites were constructed without any state funding or taxpayer resources.
The University Police Department is located at the south side of the campus next to the Cooper Service complex. In addition to their law enforcement responsibilities, the University Police Department is highly service-oriented. They take great pride in providing help to those who are in need.
Newell Veterinary Technical Center
The Newell Veterinary Technical Center provides space to Canton's Veterinary Science programs. The Center was dedicated in 2003 to honor the generosity of Allan and Kate Newell.
The 12,000 square foot building houses first-rate clinic and teaching facilities, including conference, reception and study areas. Also included are kennels for dogs, cats, rabbits and mice, an x-ray room, surgery facilities, labs, and classrooms.
Edson A. Martin Athletic Fields
SUNY Canton's new all-weather, lighted synthetic turf field hosts the college's soccer teams and has been extensively utilized for the area's high school Section X soccer playoffs. The college also completed extensive renovations on the cross country trails that run behind the campus through the woods along the Grasse River. A new natural grass baseball field also serves Canton's baseball and softball teams, in addition to area high school tournaments.
Edson A. Martin, donated the land that SUNY Canton was built upon. Edson Martinís gift provided the space for the campus to evolve into a leading college in the North Country and its growth continues today.
Roos House Athletic Facility
Completed in 2011, the $45-million athletic center features a fitness center with brand-new equipment, a lap pool, a field house that includes basketball, volleyball and tennis courts as well as a track, an ice arena, locker room facilities, athletic department office space and a new eatery.
The footbridges provide students with a scenic walkway across the Grasse River to the Village of Canton. Downtown shops include clothing, art boutiques, coffee shops, and fast foods. The American Theater has four screens and shows current movies.
Roselle Academic Plaza
The Roselle Academic Plaza is located in the heart of campus between the Miller Campus Center, Cook Hall, and Southworth Library. It was named after former faculty member Gerald Roselle and dedicated in October 1998. The plaque honoring this event is mounted on a rock in the center of the plaza. Students and staff can find a beautifully landscaped area with picnic tables. Many campus events are also conducted in the plaza such as Automotive Car Shows, outdoor festivals, and Opening Convocation.