Home > College Council
College Council Meetings
May 18, 2013 8:30 am - ROOS House, Athletic Conf. Room
- DRAFT March 26, 2013 Minutes
- Advisory Board Appointees
- Code of Conduct Final Changes
- Directions to Roos House and Athletic Conference Room
March 26, 2013 9:00 am - Miller CC, Room 218-220
March 11, 2013 12:00 pm - FOB 620
A special meeting has been called for the College Council members to meet with a possible interim president candidate for SUNY Canton.
February 5, 2013 11:00 am
- Meeting Audio
- DRAFT November 13, 2012 Minutes
- Gateway to Success Brochure
- President's Update
- SUNY University Scorecard
- SUNY Canton Scorecard
- College Council Calendar 2013
December 3, 2012 4:00 pm
Cancelled due to lack of quorum
November 13, 2012 9:30 am
September 25, 2012 9:00 am
- Meeting Audio
- DRAFT July 24, 2012 Minutes
- DRAFT July 31, 2012 Minutes
- 2011-12 President's Annual Report
- DRAFT Resolution Supporting SUNY Institute of Arts, Sciences, & Technology
- DRAFT Changes to Student Handbook
- DRAFT Resolution - Approving New, On-campus Student Housing
July 31, 2012 5:00 pm
July 24, 2012 4:30 pm
May 19, 2012 8:30 am
March 26, 2012 12:30 pm
Special Joint Meeting with Potsdam - March 26, 2012 11:00 am
March 20, 2012 9:00 am
Cancelled due to lack of quorum
November 1, 2011 9:00 am
September 27, 2011 9:00 am
- Meeting Packet
- Town/Village/School Board Resolution
- University Faculty Senate Letter and Resolution
- Hockey Game Invitation
Special Meeting - July 28, 2011 8:30 am
May 21, 2011 8:30 am
March 29, 2011 9:30 am
- Distinguished Faculty Award - Maiocco
- Distinguished Citizen Award - Maresca
- Excellence in College Service Award - Miller
- Employee Recognition Award - Carr
February 1, 2011 9:30 am
November 2, 2010 9:30 am
September 28, 2010 9:30 am
College Council Members
- Grace Y. Burke, Watertown, term expires 2018
- Timothy J. Currier, Massena, term expires 2015
- Cecily Morris, Massena, term expires 2015
- Chloe Ann O'Neil, Parishville, term expires 2013
- Ronald M. O'Neill, Chairperson, Canton, term expires 2019
- Marie Regan, Potsdam, term expires 2014
- Joseph L. Rich, Watertown, term expires 2017
- Thomas R. Sauter, West Carthage, term expires 2011
- Roger J. Sharlow, Waddington, term expires 2016
- Nafeesa Johnson, Student Rep/SGA President, term expires July 1, 2013
- Representatives of the faculty and staff participate as observers
The organization, powers, and duties of the Councils of state-operated institutions are established by Section 356 of Article 8 of the State Education Laws as follows:
- Subject to the general management, supervision and control, and in accordance with rules established by the State University Trustees, the operations and affairs of each state-operated institution. . .will be supervised locally by a council consisting of nine members appointed by the Governor and one student elected by students. (Provision is made for staggered terms of initial appointees and seven-year terms for subsequent appointments for filling unexpired terms.) Members may be removed by the Governor and receive no compensation but are reimbursed for expenses incurred in performance of their duties.
- The Councils of state-operated institutions will provide for regular meetings at least four times annually. The Chair, or any five members by petition, may (at any time) call a special meeting of the Council and fix the time and place therefore. . .five members attending constitute a quorum for the transaction of business, and the act of a majority of the members present at any meeting will be the act of the Council.
- Subject to the general management, supervision, control, approval of, and in accordance with rules established by the State University Trustees, the Council of each state-operated institution will, with respect to the institution or institutions for which it serves, exercise the following powers:
- Recommend to the State University Trustees candidates for appointment by the State University Trustees as head of such institutions.
- Review all major plans of the head of such institution for its more effective operation, and make such recommendations with respect thereto as it deems appropriate. Such plans will be submitted for approval by the State University Trustees together with the recommendations of the Council with respect thereto. The State University Trustees will determine what constitutes such major plans, which are hereby generally defined to include, among others, plans for the appraisal or improvement of the faculty and other personnel, expansion or restriction of student admissions, appraisal or improvement of academic programs and of standards for the earning of degrees, expansion of institutional plants, and appraisal or improvement of student activities and housing.
- Make regulations governing the care; custody; and management of lands, grounds, buildings, and equipment.
- Review the proposed budget request for such institution prepared by the head thereof, and recommends to the State University Trustees a budget for such institution.
- Foster the development of advisory citizens' committees to render such assistance as the Council may request, and to appoint the members of such citizens' committees.
- Name buildings and grounds.
- Make regulations governing conduct and behavior of students.
- Prescribe for and exercise supervision over student housing and safety.
- Make an annual report to the State University Trustees on or before September 1 of each year; report to them, from time to time, any matter it believes requires their attention.
Perform such other powers and duties as may be authorized or required by the State University Trustees by general rules or special directives.
Make and establish and, from time to time, alter and amend such regulations pertaining to the affairs of its institution, not inconsistent with law or the rules of the State University Trustees, as may be necessary or appropriate to carry out effectively the foregoing powers and duties.
34 Cornell Drive
Canton, NY 13617