Home > CSOET > Electrical Construction
Electrical Construction & Maintenance - Certificate
The Electrical Construction & Maintenance (ECM) program prepares students to work in building trades with the installation and testing of electrical power distribution and an emphasis placed on residential construction applications. Students are also introduced to commercial applications and building codes. At the successful completion of this one-year program, students will earn the ECM certificate.
STUDENTS IN THIS CERTIFICATE PROGRAM:
- Install wiring systems and equipment in buildings
- Connect electrical devices in accordance with the NEC (National Electrical Code)
- Perform routine maintenance on motors and transformers
- Install motor control circuits
- Electrical Apprentice
- Plant Maintenance Technician
- Electrical Supply Counter Person and Sales Support Person
- Electrical/Electronic Assembly Worker
- Security Systems Sales and Service Representative
- Power Corporation Service Representative
The construction industry continues to exhibit a demand for skilled electrical technicians.
EMPLOYERS OF SUNY CANTON GRADUATES:
- Atlantic Testing
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
- Niagara Mohawk Power Corporation
- Smith Building Supply
- S&L Electric
Over 50% of the ECM choose to pursue further education full time at:
- SUNY Canton - AAS degree programs and other certificate programs
- Rochester Institute of Technology
- SUNY Oswego
Students completing two one-year certificate programs in the Canino School of Engineering Technology can graduate with two certificates and an Associate in Applied Science degree by completing the requirements of the Individual Studies (Eng) AAS program while pursuing the second technical certificate.
- Refer to the table of high school course prerequisites for admission.
- Students are expected to have demonstrated academic success in high school and/or prior college experience.
- Recommended Tools
PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS (Curriculum 0955)
Semester I Credits
|ELEC 171||Elec. Constr. & Maintenance I||7|
|ELEC 173||Intro. to Nat. Electrical Code||3|
|MATH 101||Applied College Mathematics||3|
|SOET 101||Introduction to Computer Usage for Technicians||1|
Semester II Credits
|ELEC 172||Elec. Constr. & Maintenance II||7|
Those graduates who show sufficient interest and aptitude may qualify for entry into one of the associate degree programs.
*Mathematics levels depend on previous preparation. Students who are unprepared to enter MATH 101 will be required to first complete MATH 099 Foundation of Applied College Mathematics.
ADDITIONAL GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS
While at SUNY Canton students must have completed course ELEC 172 and earn a minimum GPA of 1.75.
Electrical Construction & Maintenance