Graphic & Multimedia Design - Program Description
The Bachelor's of Technology in Graphic and Multimedia Design (GMMD) is a fast paced technology and culture driven major for creative students interested in pursuing a four-year degree. Students can also expect to learn about podcasts, blogs, and other new forms of communication.
Students in this Major:
- Create and design original works using graphics, video, photography, sound and animation.
- Develop communication, management, and analytical skills.
- Learn design theory and interact with the latest multimedia software.
- Design and launch their own multimedia project individually, as part of a team, and /or complete an internship within the media field.
- Graphic designer
- Web designer
- Advertising specialist
- Public Relations specialist
- Video, Sound or Video Game designer
- Web Design Firms
- Advertising Firms
- News Agencies
- Other (design departments)
- Refer to the table of high school course prerequisites for admission.
- Prepared to take Expository Writing
- NYS English Regents score ≥ 75; or
- Verbal SAT score ≥ 420; or
- Reading and Writing ACT scores ≥ 17; or
- Transfer student who has already passed a college level English course.
- Prepared to take GER Math
- NYS Geometry or Math A exam plus one additional year of math; or
- Already passed Intermediate Algebra or equivalent.
- Transfer students from other institutions and majors may have to complete certain bridge courses that could extend their graduation date.
PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS (Curriculum 2026)
Semester I Credits
|CITA 152||Computer Logic||3|
|ENGL 101||Composition and the Spoken Word (GER 10)||3|
|GMMD 101||Intro to Media Studies (GER 7)||3|
|ARTS 101||Intro to Drawing (GER 8)||3|
|Survey of Mathematics OR
College Algebra (GER 1)
Semester II Credits
|CITA 180||Intro to Programming||3|
|ENGL 202||Creative Non-Fiction||3|
|GMMD 102||Intro to Design (GER)||3|
|Acting and Improvisation OR
Introduction to Speech
|SOCI 101||Intro to Sociology||3|
Semester III Credits
|GMMD 200||Digital Photography||3|
|Art History BCE to 16th Century** OR
Art History 16th-20th Centuries** OR
Art and Society
|ENGL 221||Creative Writing||3|
|Foreign Language (GER 9)||3|
|Natural Science (GER 2)||3-4|
Semester IV Credits
|GMMD 211||Film Analysis||3|
|SOCI 250||Sociology of the Mass Media||3|
|American History (GER 4)||3|
|Natural Science or Math Elective||3-4|
Semester V Credits
|GMMD 301||3D Design||3|
|GMMD 313||Studies in Genre Film||3|
|CITA 342||Visual Programming||3|
|Western Civilization (GER 5)||3|
Semester VI Credits
|GMMD 330||Web Design and Development||3|
|ENGL 301||Professional Communication||3|
|Digital Photojournalism OR
Experimental Digital Photography
|GMMD 331||Digital Illustration and Typography||3|
|Other World (GER 6)||3|
Semester VII Credits
|GMMD 401||Multimedia Product Design||3|
|GMMD 408||Portfolio Development and Media Strategies||3|
|Digital Documentary Video OR
Experimental Digital Video
|Animation Techniques OR
|GMMD 440||Senior Project Proposal/Internship Orientation||1|
|U/L Arts or Humanities Elective (GER 7, 8)**||3|
Semester VIII Credits
|GMMD 432||Virtual Worlds||3|
|SELECT ONE OR TWO COURSES|
|Graphic & Multimedia Design Group Project
Arts Management Internship
*Fulfills writing intensive requirement
**Art History (ARTS 201/202) can be counted as either GER 7 or GER 8; this elective should be used to cover the remaining General Education area.
U/L = Upper Level Courses (300/400)
GER = General Education Requirement
NOTE: Graphic and Multimedia Design students must meet all of the ten General Education Requirements and successfully complete the SUNY Canton Computer Competency requirement.
Graphic and Multimedia Design
Christopher Sweeney, Ph.D.