Heating & Plumbing Service - Certificate
The Heating & Plumbing Service (H&PS) program prepares students to work in the building trades with the installation, maintenance, and repair of plumbing equipment, furnaces and boilers. Emphasis is placed on residential installation and maintenance, but students are introduced to commercial applications as well. At the successful completion of this one-year program, students earn the H&PS certificate.
Students in this Certificate Program:
- Learn how to install and service plumbing and heating equipment for residential and commercial buildings.
- Obtain hands-on experience in well-equipped, small laboratory sections.
- Utilize laboratories and equipment in the Air Conditioning Engineering Technology program.
- Plumbing and heating contractors and supply houses
- Hardware stores
- Farm supply stores
- Fuel companies
- Plant maintenance
The construction industry continues to exhibit a demand for skilled heating and plumbing technicians.
Employers of SUNY Canton Graduates:
- Central New York Trane
- Self employed
- Hulbert Brothers
- Griffith Oil Co.
- SUNY Canton - AAS degree programs and other Certificate programs
- AAS Degrees at other colleges of technology
Students completing two one-year Certificate programs in the Canino School of Engineering Technology can graduate with two Certificates and an Associate in Applied Science degree by completing the requirements of the Individual Studies (Eng) AAS program while pursuing the second technical certificate.
- Refer to the table of high school course prerequisites for admission.
- Students are expected to have demonstrated academic success in high school and/or prior college experience.
PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS (Curriculum 0949)
Semester I Credits
|CONS 151||Building trades Blueprint Reading & Drafting||2|
|ACHP 171||Heating & Plumbing Principles and Practice I||7|
|MATH 101||Applied College Mathematics||3|
|SOET 101||Introduction to Computer Usage for Technicians||1|
Semester II Credits
|ACHP 105||Refrigeration System Design||2|
|ACHP 172||Heating & Plumbing Principles and Practice II||8|
*Mathematics level depends on previous preparation; students are advised to continue mathematics coursework in both semester. Those graduates who show sufficient interest and aptitude may qualify for entry into one of the associate degree programs.
*Students who are unprepared to enter MATH 101 must first satisfactorily complete MATH 099 Foundation of Applied College Mathematics.
Heating & Plumbing Service