Required Tools List
We do not sell or endorse any particular brand of tool here at SUNY Canton. Our advice to students is to purchase the best tools they can afford to buy. It has been our experience that the cheaper tools, both in price and /or quality will end up being much more expensive in the long run.
Click on the following e-mail link if you would like to take advantage of special student pricing on our required tool package offered by Snap-On Tools.
The List of Tools Include:
- A SUITABLE TOOLBOX with lock - 18 gal plastic tote with lid
A roll cabinet is recommended but not required.
The Student's First and Last Names must be permanently affixed to BOTH ends.
- Fender cover - Better to have two because nothing touches paint!
- Set of combination wrenches (open-end / box-end): standard and metric.
- Set of 1/2in drive sockets with ratchet and extensions: standard and metric.
- Set of 3/8in drive sockets with ratchet and extensions: standard and metric.
- Set of 3/8in drive deep-well sockets: (6-point) standard and metric.
- Spark plug sockets: 3/8in drive; sizes 5/8in and 13/16in.
- Set of 1/4in drive sockets with ratchet and extensions: standard and metric.
- Pliers: diagonal cutters, needle nose, slip-joint, "Channelock"style, and wire stripper/crimper.
- Set of screwdrivers, both Phillips and slotted (flat blade).
- Tire pressure gauge.
- Tire inflation chuck with TYPE 'B' air-line fitting.
- Air blowgun with TYPE 'B' air-line fitting.
**** NOTE: Craftsman air-line fitting will not work! **** NAPA Auto Parts Stores usually have these fittings in stock for $1.50-$2.00 each.
- Snap-On Digital Volt-Ohm-Amp Meter model EEDM504D. This meter will be used extensively throughout the program and will be the basis for your Electrical Certification.
- Flashlight, with extra batteries.
- 12-volt test light.
- Gasket scraper and / or stiff blade putty knife.
- Set of punches and chisels.
- Set of blade-type feeler gauges (.0015in to .035in).
- Spark-plug gapping gauges.
- Torx driver bit set: #15 through 25, 27 through 40, 45, 50, and 55.
- Plastic tipped soft-faced hammer.
- Large ball-peen hammer. 16 ounce or larger is recommended.
- Torque Wrench; 3/8in drive, capable of accurately reading from 10 ft/lbs. or less and up to 75 ft/lbs. or more.
- Torque Wrench; 1/4in drive, capable of accurately reading from 1 in/lbs. and up to 150 in/lbs. or more.
- Shop cloths / rags.
- Spray cans: 1) brake cleaner, 1) carburetor/throttle body cleaner, 1) silicon spray, 1) penetrating oil.
- ** Each student is required to wear **SAFETY GLASSES (Invest in a good pair that doesn't fog up!)
- DARK BLUE WORK UNIFORM
(pants and collared shirt, or coveralls) such as Sears, Penneys, or Dickies.
- A PLAIN DARK BLUE T-shirt may also be worn.
Blue jeans, flashy t-shirts, black pants or shirts, coveralls tied around the waist, etc. are not acceptable dress while working in the lab. If the student is currently employed at a facility which provides them with a work uniform that includes a collared shirt then that student will be allowed to wear that uniform in the lab.
Keeping these items clean and properly maintained will be the student's responsibility.
Strongly Suggested Optional Tools:
- Engraver, 3/8" drive impact driver with bits, 1/2" drive torque wrench, heavy leather welding gloves, and assorted "Vise-Grip" style regular and needle-nose pliers.
Remember..... Purchasing good quality tools is less expensive in the long run.
Please direct any questions or comments you may have regarding tool requirements to the Powersports Performance and Repair Department .