The civility initiative, or CARES Project, will encourage accountability and social responsibility. In concert with the Character Development Committee and the Student Leadership Institute, students will be recognized for exhibiting behaviors that are in line with our CARE philosophy (outlined above) and our campus creed. The Office of the Dean of Students, in concert with the Diversity Affairs Office, will lead this initiative at SUNY Canton.
“Intelligence plus character-that is the goal of true education.”
― Martin Luther King Jr.
Acts of Kindness
Goals of the CARES Project:
- Bystander Intervention: We encourage students, when it is safe to do so, to intervene when other students are violating our core campus values and the principles of CARE. When it is not safe to intervene, we encourage students to reach out to staff (Dean of Students, Residence Life staff, Diversity Office, and/or University Police) to receive assistance.
- Reward positive student behavior through public recognition. Students “caught” doing the right thing will be recognized by the Dean of Students in a public forum and will be presented with a certificate and a small token of our appreciation.
- Students will respect and care not only for one another, but for the environment they are in. Students will keep the residence halls and campus facilities clean and graffiti free and will take pride in their community and environment.
- Behavior that is not in line with our campus values and the CARES Project will be addressed swiftly and with a focus on restorative justice by the Office of the Dean of Students.
How to Get Involved:
- Volunteer to take part in one of the Soup Kitchens hosted each Friday evening through the school year at Grace Episcopal Church in Canton. Students do everything from serve food, meet and greet community members taking part in the dinner, and assist with cleanup. More information about times, dates, and availability to volunteer is located in the Dean of Students Office, MCC 229.
- Take part in the 31 Day Civility Challenge, taking place each semester (see your email for more information as the dates approach).
- There are many other projects that go on through the school year, so please keep checking back to this page or stop by the Dean of Students Office or Diversity Affairs Office for more information!
31 Day Civility Challenge
Click image below for full size chart