Home > EMT Training
Emergency Medical Technician Program
Attention: Full Time SUNY Canton Students
All EMT course registrations must be processed through the EMT Program Office (CREST Center). Registration through your advisor or online will not be available.
Course Schedules for SUNY Canton Classes - Spring 2016
Clinical and Ride Sign-Up Forms
**All ride time and clinical requests must be submitted one week in advance**
- Claxton-Hepburn Medical Center
- Canton-Potsdam Hospital
- Alice Hyde Medical Center
- Massena Memorial
- Rescue Squad Ride Times
Downloadable Course Documents
Practical Skills Examination Sheets
- Certified First Responder
- Emergency Medical Technician Basic
- AEMT - Intermediate
- EMT - Critical Care
About the EMT Program
SUNY Canton has been providing Emergency Medical Service training courses for 40 years. The College is the only Course Sponsor in St. Lawrence County approved by the New York State Department of Health, Bureau of Emergency Medical Services, to conduct these courses. Students who pass both the New York State written and practical examinations will ultimately receive New York State certification. SUNY Canton offers a variety of initial and refresher EMS training courses.
New York State EMS Certification Courses
- Certified First Responder
- Emergency Medical Technician
- Advanced Emergency Medical Technician-Intermediate
- Advanced Emergency Medical Technician-Critical Care
AHA Community Training Site
A unique agreement with Canton-Potsdam Hospital has allowed the College to conduct American Heart Association courses. SUNY Canton is now a community training site under Canton-Potsdam Hospital's Community Training Center Agreement with American Heart Association. This arrangement has made more emergency cardiovascular care courses available to area health care providers.
American Heart Association Courses
- Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers
- Heartsaver Automatic External Defibrillation (AED)
- Heartsaver FACTS
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
Mobile EMT Classroom
Through the help of Senator Wright, the EMT Program acquired a Mobile EMT Classroom. This Mobile EMT Classroom is an 8' X 16' enclosed cargo trailer that contains all necessary equipment to hold EMT courses on-site at local fire departments or rescue squads. Holding training courses throughout St. Lawrence County will help make it easier for volunteers to attend these courses. Anyone interested in holding an EMT course at their location should call for details.
Clinical and Field Training Sites
Students enrolled in EMT and Advanced EMT courses are required to complete both a clinical and field experience internship. The internships vary depending on level of certification students are seeking. SUNY Canton has established clinical experience internships in emergency departments, operating rooms, respiratory therapy, ICU/CCU, and ambulatory surgery units. Presently Massena Memorial Hospital, Hepburn Medical Center, Canton-Potsdam Hospital, EJ Noble Gouverneur Hospital, Clifton-Fine Hospital, Alice Hyde Medical Center, Carthage Area Hospital, and Lewis County General Hospital all participate in these clinical internships.
SUNY Canton has also established a number of training sites for EMT students to complete their field experience internships. These field sites include many of St. Lawrence County's fire departments and rescue squads. Other area ambulance agencies like Seaway Valley Ambulance, RB Lawrence Ambulance, and Guilfoyle Ambulance also allow students to complete field experience internships with them.
Attention Instructors! (News and Information)
On behalf of Andrew Johnson, BS, IMT-P, CIC:
- We have provided a 20 minute video that will update instructors on the new CLI and CIC exams.
- The video is located in our moodle site at: training.vitalsignsconference.com
- The video can be found under "Courses", "Instructors", and then "New Instructor Exams".
- Many instructors have also found it useful to go through the BEMS CIC Addendum Course found in the Instructor section of our site. The course is split up in to several modules and is used for all new CIC's.
Director of CREST
34 Cornell Drive
Canton, NY 13617
Fax: (315) 386-7640