Nine Things Students Can Do to Make SUNY Canton More Sustainable
In today’s world many of our issues seem big and complex. Yet there are actions we can take to make our immediate surroundings a better, more sustainable place. Here is a partial list of possibilities. The secret is to find out what is really interesting for you, and get involved.
- Use a smart power strip with your computer, monitor and peripherals. Turn off your computer when not using it. Use “sleep mode” instead of screen saver.
- Recycle glass, plastic, metal and paper in your dorm room and residence hall.
- Join the student environmental club, Student Environmental Awareness Society, or the Green Campus Committee.
- Use an LED or compact fluorescent bulb in your computer lamp.
- Maximize use of natural light in your dorm residence.
- Turn off the lights when leaving any unoccupied room.
- Unplug chargers for all of your wireless stuff (iPods, cell phones) when equipment is not being charged. These devices are often still using some energy even when they are not actually charging something.
- Explore the possibility of carpooling or using public transportation, if you live off campus.
- When given the opportunity to choose a topic for study, select a subject that interests you and will make you better informed about our interconnectedness with the natural world and promote an understanding of the implications of limited resources.