Class of Summer 2013
Professor Beggs was awarded emeritus status in 2001 after teaching mathematics for 24 years at SUNY Canton. She received the Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching in 1999 and served for many years on the Intercollegiate Athletic Board.
Paul W. Calkins, Class of 1948, was owner of the Ausable Valley Auction Service and the Paul W. Calkins Agency (real estate, appraisals, and insurance), Peru, New York. Mr. Calkins was also President of the SUNY Canton College Council and a member of the Elks and Lions Clubs. Appointed to the SUNY Canton College Council by Governor Nelson Rockefeller in December 1965, Mr. Calkins served on the Council until his death in November 1980.
Roger E. Catlin was Assistant Vice President of Administration and served the College for 29 years when he retired in 1991. He was a major force in modernizing the College’s systems and was renowned for his diligence with budget control. He was chairman for the subcommittee on standardizing accounting practices. He was heavily involved in local politics.
Varick A. Chittenden taught for 32 years at SUNY Canton. He has received numerous awards including the Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching in 1974 and the SUNY Canton Distinguished Faculty Award in 1991. He established the folklife festival on campus and served as department chair. He was also a member of the Canton College Foundation Board of Directors. In 1986, he founded Traditional Arts in Upstate New York – called TAUNY – an organization dedicated to preserving North Country traditions.
Thomas F. Coakley has been on the Canton College Foundation board of directors since 1981 and has served as Chair. He has been one of SUNY Canton’s greatest advocates and community supporters. He is completing his career at St. Lawrence University serving as an economics lecturer after completing a 17-year term as Vice President for Administrative Operations with related administrative and teaching assignments in the 10 previous years.
Herbert E. Cook was the second Director/Dean of the School of Agriculture (SOA) serving from 1908 to 1917. He was a leading figure in agricultural circles and influential with legislators. He served as a member of the committee on the reorganization of Cornell University from 1903 to 1905 and was instrumental in bringing about the passage of the bill creating the State College of Agriculture at Cornell.
Michael J. Danehy was appointed as the Dean of the Canino School of Engineering Technology (then known as the Engineering Technology Division) in 1963, served the College for 32 years, and retired in 1995. He was part of a five-member technical institute planning team to develop laboratories for technical institutes in Syria. After serving as Dean, he returned to the classroom teaching in the mathematics department. After his retirement, he served as Interim Director of the Physical Plant.
Ethelyn B. Davis was the head college nurse for 20 years, and the Ethelyn B. Davis Health Center in the Miller Campus Center is named for her. She was endowed with a youthful spirit, patience, and understanding. She devoted her entire life and tireless efforts to healing, listening, and counseling. Her efforts won the respect and admiration of all her colleagues and students. The Ethelyn B. Davis Memorial Scholarship was established in 1976 by her family and many friends as a memorial tribute.
Clement J. Flanagan, Class of 1909, was a member of the “Pioneer Class” of 1909 – the first graduating Class of SUNY Canton (formerly known as the State School of Agriculture). He was the owner of Judson Heights Dairy, and the agricultural community knew him for his kindness, friendship, dedication, and willingness to help people. At the time of his death, he was the dean of alumni for SUNY Canton and the last surviving member of his class.
William C. Foster retired as Director of Institutional Research/Records/Registration after serving the college for 21 years. He served in the 87th infantry division during World War II from 1943 to 1946. He was widely known for his jocularity, being kind hearted, patient, and serving the Gouverneur community.
Harry E. Howe was a well-respected surgeon in the North Country and served as the College Physician from 1968 until his retirement in 1983. In 1986, he was selected by the College Council as a recipient of the College’s Distinguished Citizen Award. In 1983, Dr. Howe and his wife Theo established the Dr. Harry E. Howe Endowed Scholarship to support nursing education.
Arthur G. Hurlbut, Class of 1965, graduated from the air conditioning engineering technology program. Professor Hurlbut received the SUNY Canton Distinguished Faculty Award in 2002, the E. K. Campbell Award of Merit from ASHRAE (American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air Conditioning Engineers, Inc.) in 2006 and taught in the air conditioning engineering technology program for 34 years.
Frederick C. Liebi, Class of 1966, was the former President of the SUNY Canton Alumni Association. He owns and operates FCL Management, Inc., which specializes in the management of construction projects for various industrial, commercial, and private companies. He managed the design and construction of the sets for NBC's Today Show Olympic broadcasts. He created the Liebi Endowed Scholarship in 2004 and received the Distinguished Alumnus Award in 2006.
Barbara N. and G. Michael Maresca issued a challenge to SUNY Canton’s alumni and friends in 2007 to raise $100,000 to bolster the educational needs of the nursing program and its students and pledged matching donations to help continue that support. Barbara N. and G. Michael Maresca jointly received the Distinguished Citizen Award in 2011. Generous donors and active community members and supporters of the North Country, the Marescas have been an inspiration to SUNY Canton’s students.
Elwood Jack Nicholson, Jr. was a beloved faculty member of the air conditioning engineering technology department at SUNY Canton (formerly Canton College of Technology) for 31 years. He was part of a five-member technical institute planning team to develop laboratories for technical institutes in Syria. At the time of his retirement, May 1989, members of his department initiated a fund appeal among alumni, businesses, friends, and family members to establish an endowed scholarship in Jack’s name.
Robert B. Raymo, Class of 1958, served 33 years in admissions and development at SUNY Canton in various administrative positions retiring as Director of Development and Executive Vice President of the Canton College Foundation. He is very active in the communities he resides in, is a member of the SUNY Canton Foundation Board of Directors, has been a generous donor, and has worked closely with the Foundation in cultivating major gifts.
Bernard C. Regan, Class of 1965, served in the U.S Army (1965 to 1971) and worked for United Parcel Service (UPS) in the company's corporate domestic and international engineering group. He has been a generous donor and has established the Bernard C. Regan Family Endowed Scholarship, built the Regan Flag Station at the front entrance to the campus, and is currently past chair of the Canton College Foundation Board of Directors serving on the executive committee.
Marie C. Regan taught for 24 years at SUNY Canton. She has received numerous awards including the SUNY Distinguished Service Professorship Award in 1990 and the SUNY Canton Distinguished Faculty Award in 1989. Since her retirement in 1996, Professor Regan has continued her dedication to the community. She has served several terms on the Potsdam Town Board, is currently Town Supervisor, and a member of the College Council.
The Renzi Family established Renzi Bros., Inc. in 1977. The Watertown-based wholesale food distributors have made their company name synonymous with service, dedication, and commitment. The atrium outside of Serendipity Café is named in honor of Renzi Bros., Inc., and the College is very grateful for their generosity and service to our community. Members of the Renzi Family have taken on significant voluntary leadership positions to advance the North Country.
Robert H. Smith, Class of 1912, taught at SUNY Canton (formerly the State School of Agriculture) for 35 years starting in 1912 and authored “Agricultural Mechanics,” the first book to be written by a faculty member of this College. The 1918 Agricola yearbook was dedicated on his behalf and he was the associate editor of the “Rural New Yorker.” The Smith Residence Hall was dedicated in his memory in 1970.
Margaret D. Sovie, PhD, had a distinguished career as a nurse and educator. Her name is associated with many prestigious awards, including the Margaret D. Sovie Writer’s Award, given by the Nursing Economic$ editorial board. In addition, the University of Rochester Medical Center created the Margaret D. Sovie Lecture Series, and Strong Memorial Hospital created the Margaret D. Sovie Center for Advanced Practice. Her husband, Alfred, Class of 1958, was named Outstanding Student in 1958. He created a scholarship to support two students in the nursing program in her memory. Alfred also had a successful career as an engineer and is very dedicated to supporting SUNY Canton on behalf of his wife.
Faye W. White taught mathematics at SUNY Canton for 15 years. She received the SUNY Canton Distinguished Faculty Award in 2001 and was awarded emeritus status in 2001. Faye also received the Distinguished Alumni Award from Heuvelton Central School in 2001. Faye was a member of the New York State Mathematics Association for Two-Year Colleges. She served on numerous campus governance committees during her tenure, including the intercollegiate athletic board. She was also the division representative to the College Association, Inc.
Guilford D. White, Class of 1968, joined the International Association of Bridge Structural Ornamental and Reinforcing Ironworkers Local 440 when he was 17 years old. In 1966, he entered SUNY Canton (formerly known as Canton ATC) and majored in construction engineering technology. He helped build the current campus when not in class. He graduated in 1968 and went on to earn his bachelor’s degree in construction management from Utica College of Syracuse University. He served in numerous union leadership positions relating to labor relations and worked with many Federal departments of the United States Government. In 1983, he returned to the Akwesasne-St. Regis Mohawk Reservation and operated the Mohawk Bingo Palace until 1995. He was instrumental in bringing Class 3 Casino Gaming to the reservation in the mid-1990s. He is an active member of the SUNY Canton Foundation Board of Directors.
Barbara, classes of 1953 and 1970, and her husband Fred are active community members and friends of the College. The Wilders have established an endowed scholarship and named the nursing study area. Mrs. Wilder, an alumna, serves as a member of the Board of Directors for the SUNY Canton College Foundation and has been active in the community serving as a trustee for the Benton Library Board, Trustee for the Canton Methodist Church, Board of Director of Cooperative Extension, Canton Garden Club, Red Cross, and other organizations.
Thomas P. Woodside, Class of 1966, is the founder and past owner of T.P. Woodside, Inc., an established, technical sales organization with a proven track record of success in providing solutions for air conditioning, power conditioning, and the IT infrastructure market. He has been an active alumnus and has established a scholarship honoring his family members. A strong proponent of the air conditioning technology program, he has served on the advisory board and has been a mentor to students.