The very first thing you should do to start your study abroad experience is apply for a passport. All students applying for SUNY Canton study abroad programs must submit a color copy of the biography page of their passport with their application.
A passport is “an internationally recognized travel document that verifies the identity and nationality of the holder” (NAFSA). You cannot travel internationally without a passport. In addition, your passport must be good for at least 6 months after you return from your international destination.
To apply for a US passport, you will need the following:
- Passport application
- Two passport photos
- Valid photo id (driver’s license)
- Previous US passport, original certified birth certificate, or naturalization certificate/certificate of citizenship
For the most up-to-date and accurate passport requirements, plus everything else passport related (lost or stolen passports, passport corrections), check out the State Department’s passport website.
- The Passport Fee from the US State Department is $110 and must be paid with a check or money order made out to ‘Department of State’.
- The passport agency fee (charged by any office that processes passport applications) is $25 and can be paid by check, cash, debit, or credit depending on the agency’s payment policy.
- Passport photos usually cost $8 - $15.
So in total, expect to pay about $140 - $150.
There are two places in Canton where you can apply for a US passport:
- The St. Lawrence County Clerk’s Office: located in Building #2 on 48 Court Street.
The Clerk’s Office processes passport applications and fees, and does take photos for an $8 fee. You can also have passport photos taken at the Walmart portrait studio or at most other major drug stores. (315) 379-2237
- US Post Office: located on 100 Main Street, Canton, right next to the movie theater. The Post Office processes applications, fees, and takes pictures for a fee of $15. (315) 386-4502
For an online passport application, follow this link: http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_830.html
Passports generally take 4 – 6 weeks to process. You can, for an extra $60 fee (plus shipping costs) expedite your passport application if you feel it is necessary. For more details see the Get Your passport in a Hurry page of the State Department’s website.