Student Email Migration
During the summer of 2013, a project has been underway to migrate student email from Icewarp to Microsoft’s hosted Office 365 email solution.
Office 365 brings a host of improvements over Icewarp:
- a modern web interface that works the same across browsers
- 25GB storage for email
- better support for mobile devices, including Outlook Web Apps for the iPhone and iPad
- calendaring, including the ability to share your calendar
Old email on Icewarp has been getting migrated to Office 365 throughout the last several weeks.
On August 11, 2013 at 10AM, student email was cutover to Office 365. All new email is now being sent to the Office 365 mailbox ONLY.
The URL for Office 365’s Outlook Web Access is https://outlook.com/canton.edu. https://mail.canton.edu also redirects to Office 365. Login is through our federated login service (fs.canton.edu), NetID credentials are required. NetID is the new name for what has been generically called the user’s “network account” or “computer username" http://www.canton.edu/it/netid.html. Once authenticated, the Office 365 mailbox will open.
What will be migrated from Icewarp?
- Your email. A final migration of old email from Icewarp will take place after the cutover. Please allow up to 24 hours for the final email migration to complete. If after that time you do not see your old email in your Office 365 mailbox, please contact the Help Desk at 315-386-7448.
What will not be migrated from Icewarp?
- Personal contacts in the address book
- Message rules / auto-responders / forwarders
Icewarp will remain online at http://oldmail.canton.edu so you may retrieve any personal contacts. We anticipate keeping Icewarp online for one month post-migration but the timing is subject to change. You will not be able to send email from Icewarp post-cutover.
Password problems or questions/issues with Office 365?
Please contact the Help Desk at 315-386-7448, via email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or stop by their office in Southworth Library.
Help Desk summer hours are 8-4:30PM Monday-Thursday and 8-12PM on Fridays.
Q. Can I connect my mobile device to Office 365?
- Yes, Office 365 has support for many mobile operating systems. Microsoft has instructions here. You can access the same instructions from within Outlook Web Access. Click Settings and select Options. In the "shortcuts to other things you can do" section, select "Connect your mobile phone or device to your account".
Q. Can I change my password from within Outlook Web Access?
- Unfortunately, no. Even though the option may appear within Outlook Web Access, due to the authentication system that allows for your NetID to be used, Office 365 cannot change your NetID password. You can change your NetID password from a campus computer at the Ctrl-Alt-Del screen. If you need your password reset, please contact the Help Desk at 315-386-7448. As part of the Office 365 project, we will be evaluating self-service password options and hope to have a solution available in the near future.
34 Cornell Drive
Canton, NY 13617
Help Desk Hours:
Monday-Thursday: 8 am – 5 pm
Friday: 8 am – 4:30 pm
New York Time (GMT -5)