The SUNY Canton Athletic Department will be hosting an alumni gathering and game for former members of the men’s soccer team beginning at noon, Saturday, April 28, at the College’s Roos House Athletic Center.
Men’s Head Soccer Coach Mark D. Howlett is coordinating the event. Interested SUNY Canton alumni should RSVP to Howlett by phone, (315) 386-7422, or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
“We are looking forward to having our soccer alumni back on campus to meet the current team and share their love of the game,” Howlett said. “There have been many exciting changes at SUNY Canton in the last five years. I’m certain former players will be amazed by the new athletic center and fields.”
A SUNY Canton Distinguished Alumnus who used his education to make his dreams a reality and helped current students pursue their own has passed away.
Dr. R. Peter Heffering, a graduate of the class of 1951, died on Saturday, March 3, 2012 in Boca Raton, Fla. He was 80 years old.
Pictured are SUNY Canton Distinguished Alumnus R. Peter Heffering and SUNY Canton President Dr. Joseph L. Kennedy at Heffering's induction into the Canadian Agricultural Hall of Fame.
“Peter’s contributions to the agricultural industry made him a true master at his profession,” Kennedy said. “He showed our students and the entire campus community that a SUNY Canton education can help you exceed your dreams and accomplish anything you desire. We thank him for the students he’s helped and the significant advancements he’s made to our College and its rich history.”
Heffering received two of the College’s most prestigious awards. He was named Distinguished Alumnus in 2003 and awarded the first-ever honorary doctorate in Animal Science at SUNY Canton’s 2004 Commencement. He was also a member of both the Canadian Horse Racing Hall of Fame and Canadian Agriculture Hall of Fame.
Heffering with Bridge to Success scholarship recipients.
He earned his degree in animal husbandry and worked as a herdsman at the former Beacon Milling Company Research Farm in central New York. He later established his own farm, Hanover Hill. Hanover Hill Holsteins produced 140 proven sires including the legendary Hanover Hill Starbuck, who died in 1998 and left behind 200,000 registered offspring on five continents. His Hanover Hill Holstein herd was one of the most famous in the world for many years.
In 1989, Heffering made his entrance into harness racing and enjoyed great success. His champions won the most coveted races in the sport, including the Little Brown Jug, North America Cup, Meadowlands Pace, Canadian Trotting Classic, Kentucky Futurity, Breeders Crown and numerous Ontario Sires Stakes events.
Heffering with his wife Apryll.
In 1998, Heffering sold his Hanover Hill herd and focused his attention on a new passion, Standardbred Horses. He and his son, David, opened Tara Hills Stud in Port Perry, Ontario, which has become one of North America’s premier Standardbred breeding operations, and they have made a huge impact in the racing industry. In 2012, 11 stallions stand in their state-of-the art stallion barn. Heffering bred a number of elite Standardbreds, including 2001 U.S. Horse of the Year Bunny Lake.
He returned to campus in 2003 to accept his Distinguished Alumnus award and serve as a Commencement speaker. He used his own success story to illustrate how his SUNY Canton education and his own initiative gave him the tools he needed to follow through on his boyhood dreams. At the end of his speech, the graduates sprung to their feet and gave Heffering a standing ovation.
He provided the financial support to create SUNY Canton’s Bridge to Success scholarships through the College’s Foundation. The scholarships are designed to help students who have no other monetary options attend college and pursue their own dreams. He frequently visited his scholarship recipients and fondly referred to them as “his other children.”
In lieu of flowers, contributions can be made in his name to the Bridge to Success Scholarship at SUNY Canton or the Hospice by the Sea, 531 West Palmetto Park Road, Boca Raton, FL 33486.
SUNY Canton added 25 remarkable individuals to the College’s Hall of Fame at an induction ceremony on Friday, Feb 24 in the College’s Chaney Dining Center.
“Our College would not be where it is today without the hard work, dedication and thoughtfulness of these wonderful people,” said SUNY Canton President Dr. Joseph L. Kennedy. “They laid the foundation for our many successes and we’re looking forward to celebrating their numerous contributions and accomplishments.”
Those eligible for induction into the Hall of Fame include, but are not limited to, alumni, founders, community members, and retired faculty and staff members. The recent inductees also include past presidents, distinguished faculty members, and numerous individuals who have significantly impacted SUNY Canton and the North Country.
The class is the second installment of the Hall of Fame’s Century Club, which will include the College’s first 100 inductees. The first class was inducted during SUNY Canton’s Alumni Weekend in June 2011.
“So many people have impacted our College in significant ways, but we could not appropriately induct them all at once,” Kennedy noted. “We wanted to make sure we took the time to honor each individual in the way they deserve to be recognized and thank them for all they have done for SUNY Canton and our students.”
The second installment of the Hall of Fame Century Club includes:
Dr. Adelord S. and Sylvia H. Blanchard – Dr. Adelord “Doc” Blanchard was a driving force in the secretarial science department for 22 years. He was admired as a professional who was deeply committed to his work and dedicated to his students. To perpetuate the high standards of excellence for which he was known, the Dr. Adelord S. Blanchard Endowment was established by the Student Cooperative Alliance and enlarged by Doc’s colleagues and friends. Sylvia H. Blanchard taught secretarial science and business at SUNY Canton for 25 years, from 1970 until her retirement in 1995. She was past president of ATC Women and a member of the Canton-Potsdam Zonta Club. Following her death in 1999, her family requested that this endowment fund be renamed to recognize her outstanding contributions to the College and thus the Dr. Adelord S. and Sylvia H. Blanchard Memorial Endowed Scholarship was named in honor of nearly fifty years of their combined service to the college.
Joel M. Canino ’59 – After graduating from SUNY Canton in 1959, Joel M. Canino worked as an industrial purchasing agent for Inland Supply Company in Syracuse. A year later he was offered a position at the Syracuse construction contracting firm of H.H. and F.E. Bean, Inc., where he eventually became executive vice president. In 1973, he moved to Orlando, Florida to work for the Pittsburgh-based mechanical contracting firm of Sauer Industries, where he served as president of various subsidiaries. In 1984, he became president of C.N.F. Industries in Meriden, Connecticut. Mr. Canino and his partner began Gemma Power Systems, one of the largest design/construct power plant builders in New England and one of the best in the nation, in 1997. His passion for the College was evident in his many gifts, which totaled more than $3 million and included the largest gift in SUNY Canton’s history. The College dedicated its School of Engineering Technology in his honor and renamed it the Canino School of Engineering Technology in 2005.
Mary Adele Chaney – A former professor of domestic science and academic subjects, Mary Adele Chaney was among the first group of women to graduate from the Agriculture School in 1910. After furthering her education at institutions such as Columbia University, Simmons College, Connecticut and later Providence, Ms. Chaney returned to teach at her alma mater in 1914 where she was hired as second assistant in domestic science and eventually became first assistant. Two years later she became the head of the domestic science program. For over two decades, she graced the institution with her youthful spirit, understanding, and patience, propelling her adaptation to changing times during her devoted time to higher education. She was also instrumental in starting the Pi Nu Epsilon, the first sorority for women. The Chaney Dining Center is named in her honor.
D. Edgar Cloce ’59 – D. Edgar Cloce is a 1959 graduate of the automotive technology program and is president of T.J. Toyota in Potsdam, one of the most successful automotive dealerships in the North Country. He was the 2009 recipient of the College’s Distinguished Alumni Award. In 1989, he and his wife, Clare, established the Ed and Clara Cloce Scholarship. He is a member of the Canton College Foundation Board of Directors and SUNY Canton’s Automotive Technology Advisory Committee and is also a regular supporter of the SUNY Canton College Foundation.
Dr. Solomon Cook –Dr. Solomon Cook was named to the SUNY Canton College Council by then-Governor Hugh Carey in December 1978 and served in that capacity until retiring in February 1989. In the later years of his Council term, he served as a Council representative on the Canton College Foundation Board of Directors. As chief of the tribal council, he played a crucial role in helping his community recover from a period of unrest. Dr. Cook dedicated his skills to improve the quality of life in his community. He served in the U.S. Navy in World War II; was elected chief of the St. Regis Mohawk Tribal Council; served as president of his church parish council and as an officer of the Knights of Columbus; is active in Farm Bureau and the 4-H Advisory Committee in program development; and donated land for a library in Hogansburg.
Henry and Macy Davis – In the 1930s and 40s, Henry and Macy Davis worked in a greenhouse at the College for more than a dozen years. Mr. Davis started working in the greenhouse as a newlywed with Macy. Mr. Davis began taking evening classes in 1941, which served as preparation for World War II and eventually led to his career in electrical construction. After he retired, he left $250,000 to the College but wanted no attention surrounding the gift until after he passed away.
William D. Demo ’57 – William D. Demo owned the Demo Auctioneering and Appraisal Service and retired from the St. Lawrence Central School after teaching for 27 years. Mr. Demo is a member of the Canton College Foundation Board of Directors and has been a volunteer fireman for 58 years and town councilman for 51 years. He has been a generous benefactor to the College Foundation creating the Bill and Kathleen Demo and Family Endowed Scholarship. Mr. Demo is a leader in St. Lawrence County and is a behind the scenes supporter for many significant projects at the College.
Dr. Robert Fraser – Dr. Robert Fraser served as vice president of academic affairs at the College. He arrived at Canton in 1973 as dean of instruction and was appointed to his vice presidential role in 1976, which he served until retiring in 1991. Dr. Fraser also served as the interim president between Dr. Earl W. MacArthur and Dr. Kennedy. During his 18-year tenure, he was a member of the New York State Association of Junior Colleges and the SUNY Association of Two-Year College Academic Officers, and took part in several local organizations.
Dr. Albert E. French – Dr. Albert E. French became the sixth director and the first President of the College in April 1948. Along with his arrival came the name change of the College for the third time, it became the State University of New York Agricultural and Technical Institute. During his 24 years of service, Dr. French was involved with two major building projects, including the College’s move across the village of Canton. French Hall was the administrative building during the years that Dr. French and Dr. MacArthur served as president. The Albert E. French Scholarship was established in 1972 by the Canton Alumni Association and was endowed and enlarged in 1989 by alumni and the French family in honor of, and in tribute to, Dr. French.
Walter Kingston – Walter Kingston taught at the College from 1946 through 1979. After graduating high school, he served as Chief in the Canadian Navy prior to teaching at SUNY Canton. He subsequently obtained his bachelor’s and master’s degrees after more than 20 years of summer school and night school. Mr. Kingston began teaching industrial technology in 1946 and started the automotive technology department in 1949 and served as director until 1977. An endowment was established in his honor by his son Dr. William Kingston and his wife, Dr. Anne Moss. The scholarship is awarded annually to an incoming freshman who has been accepted into the automotive technology program.
Ernest C. Krag – Ernest C. Krag was a beloved professor of sociology and founder of the College’s Native American Club. He was a member of the Board of Directors of College Association, Inc. and played a critical role in the advising of the Pi Nu Epsilon sorority at SUNY Canton. He was appointed to the faculty at the College in 1965 and became a full professor in 1972. Mr. Krag was the recipient of the College’s Distinguished Faculty Award in 1980. He dedicated his professional and personal life to the College and was known for his high standards of honesty and unselfish service to students, the College and the community. The Ernest C. Krag Scholarship was established in 1991 on the occasion of his retirement as a tribute to him and the impact he had on students, faculty, staff and the College.
Edson A. Martin – Edson A. Martin donated the land that SUNY Canton was built upon. When talks surfaced of the possibility of moving the College out of Canton, Martin gave the farm property in the northwest edge of the village to ensure the College didn’t leave the community. His gift provided the space for the campus to evolve into a leading college in the North Country and assured its future. He was one of the original members of the College Council, which came together for the first time in 1954. Mr. Martin was the recipient of SUNY Canton’s first ever Distinguished Citizen Award in 1976 and he was recognized again in 1991 when the College named the athletic fields in his honor.
Catherine Newell – Catherine Barnett Newell represents the fifth generation of her family to make her home in St. Lawrence County. She was an elementary school teacher and founding member of the environmental organization Save the River, North Country Citizens for Responsible Land Use, and the Hammond History and Folk Art Museum. She is also a former board member of the St. Lawrence Aquarium and Ecological Center, Ogdensburg Command Performances, and North Country Public Radio’s Community Advisory Board. She has also served in various other leadership roles throughout the North Country. Ms. Newell co-founded the Sweetgrass Foundation, a private charitable institution which provides financial support to local non-profit organizations, with an ultimate mission to improve the quality of life in Northern New York. Her efforts resulted in the College’s Newell Veterinary Technology Center, a much-needed space on campus as the veterinary technology programs have grown significantly in recent years.
Allan Newell – Allan Newell represents the fifth generation of his family to reside in St. Lawrence County. He served in the U.S. Navy for four years and on the Newell Rubbermaid Inc. Board of Directors. As co-founder of the Sweetgrass Foundation, Mr. Newell has served as its President and Treasurer. Hundreds of grants have been awarded to numerous regional organizations, including the private funding required to secure the matching state funds for the construction of SUNY Canton’s Newell Veterinary Technology Center. At the time, the gift was the largest in SUNY Canton’s history. Many North Country students also continue to benefit from the Allan P. and Catherine B. Newell Endowed Scholarship established by them with a personal gift to the College in 2003. Catherine Newell and Allan Newell were awarded the College’s Distinguished Citizen award in 2007.
John P. Ouderkirk – A Malone native, Mr. Ouderkirk graduated from SUNY Canton in 1952 and from St. Lawrence University in 1958. He served in the Army from 1953 to 1955. Mr. Ouderkirk taught Physics at SUNY Canton from 1958 until his death in 1987. A truly outstanding teacher, he was known on campus and throughout SUNY for his contributions to the field. Mr. Ouderkirk was a gifted lecturer, a wise mentor, a caring counselor, and a quietly inspiring taskmaster. The prestigious SUNY Chancellor’s Award particularly recognized his skills for Excellence in Teaching in 1975. While he insisted on high standards, he gave unselfishly of his time to anyone who needed it; he gave students opportunities to develop their full potentials; and he always gave students the benefit of the doubt.
Ronald M. O’Neill ’63 – Ronald O’Neill, class of 1963, began serving on the College Council in 1984 and was appointed as chair in 1992 by former New York State Governor Mario M. Cuomo. Mr. O’Neill continued to serve as a board member until 1999 and was reappointed as Chair of the SUNY Canton College Council by former Governor David A. Paterson in 2008 and is currently serving in that role. He was named to the State University of New York’s Alumni Honor Roll in 2000 because of his extensive contributions to the community and SUNY Canton. That same year, he received the SUNY Canton Distinguished Alumnus Award. O’Neill was the youngest Democratic Chairman for the Town of Canton, was a Morley Library Trustee and was a member of the Morley Volunteer Fire Company. While working for the Social Security Administration, he was also an alternate and on-site union representative for the American Federation of Government Employees.
James M. Payson – Dr. James Payson served the College for 22 years and was one of the most beloved figures from the School of Agriculture. Many referred to him as a “founding father,” prolific educator, and an amicable friend. He documented the early years of the School of Agriculture in a typescript work entitled, “A Brief History of the State School of Agriculture.” For over two decades of conscientious work, Dr. Payson shaped many lives and was a strong advocate for the school he took pride great in, as he was dedicated to providing a promising future to his students and the College.
Gerald Roselle – A dedicated educator and benefactor of the College for over 24 years, Gerald Roselle was a member of the English department where he served as chair from 1977 until 1982. In 1992, he established a significant bequest to the Foundation that funds scholarships and paid assistantships. One of the scholarships is presented annually to a freshman humanities student. The College’s academic plaza is named in his honor and is located between Cook Hall and Southworth Library and marked by a plaque.
Dr. Edwin Smith – Dr. Edwin Smith created the veterinary science technology curriculum at SUNY Canton and was named the College’s 2003 Distinguished Citizen. He was known for his enthusiasm and professionalism while serving as a faculty member and his colleagues were impressed with his ability to educate as well as motivate and support students. He invented lab facilities and equipment that helped students learn the necessary techniques required in the field. The veterinary science technology program has evolved into one of the most successful in the state, with the addition of bachelor’s degrees and the Newell Veterinary Technology Center. Dr. Smith had his own veterinary practice in Canton that served many community members and was an outstanding addition to the North Country.
William Stalder – Former College Council Chair and member and former chairman of the Canton College Council since 1962, William Stalder was a charter member and past chairman of the Association of College Trustees (ACT). He is one of the few College Council chairmen to have been appointed by both Republican and Democratic governors of New York State. He retired in 1991 as the managing partner of Witherbee and Whalen, Inc.
Jay F. Stone ’62 – Jay Stone graduated from the Air Conditioning program in 1962 and owns Hyde-Stone Mechanical Contractors, Inc., which has one of two offices in Potsdam. Mr. Stone has been a member of the Board of Directors of the Canton College Foundation, Inc. since 1989, and is a member of the college’s Air Conditioning Engineering Technology Curricular Advisory Committee. The Jay F. Stone Scholarship was established in 1996 by his wife and children to honor his dedication and service. The scholarship is awarded annually to an entering freshman student who enrolls in the Air Conditioning Engineering Technology curriculum.
Josephine P. Swift – Josephine P. Swift was the first recipient of Dr. Joseph L. Kennedy’s President’s Meritorious Award, one of the most coveted awards presented to a faculty or staff member each year at the College’s Recognition Day. She worked at the College for more than 25 years and was the coordinator of conference services and director of continuing education and community service before becoming assistant to the president. She was the founder of many of the College’s institutional traditions, and chaired committees of major events such as the Honor’s Convocation, the President’s Gala, Commencement and Recognition Day, among others. She authored a book, “Academic Protocol: Doing it Right,” that assisted the College in its future coordination of events following her departure. She played a key role in keeping the College open in the 1990s through reaching out to community members and political personnel that she had gotten to know through her involvement with the Republican Party.
Dr. Rollo E. Wicks – Wicks Hall was named after Dr. Rollo E. Wicks, who led the general education department for many years. Dr. Wicks was a graduate of Syracuse University with a Ph.D. from Cornell. He had a long experience as a secondary school teacher and administrator before joining the College’s faculty. As chairman of the Division of General Education, he helped significantly expand and broaden the liberal arts offerings of the College. He served as the College’s representative in State and National Junior College organizations. Dr. Wicks also authored a textbook and was on several committees on campus that worked to ensure the College’s accreditation.
Ronald L. ’59 & Blanche K. ’06 Woodcock – Ronald L. Woodcock is a benefactor from the class of 1959. In 1990, the Woodcocks established the Woodcock Family Scholarship Endowment. Mr. and Mrs. Woodcock co-chaired the Canton College Foundation’s Centennial Campaign alongside his wife, Blanche. A group of rooms in the Richard W. Miller Campus Center are named in honor of him and his wife. Mr. Woodcock was recognized by SUNY Canton as the 1989 Distinguished Alumnus Award recipient and in 1990 was the recipient of the New York State Alumni Confederation Distinguished Alumni Service Award. Mrs. Woodcock oversaw the renovations at the College’s Alumni House located at 8 Stillman Drive, Canton, and the home is named in her honor. She was also the 2006 recipient of the College’s prestigious Honorary Alumna award.
Glenn E. Wright – A North Country native, Glenn E. Wright joined the College faculty as an instructor of social science and part-time administrative officer and eventually became a professor in 1948. As the College grew, Mr. Wright’s role moved from out of the classroom and served in a more administrative role, including serving as acting director in Dr. Albert E. French’s eighteen month absence from the College. During that period, Mr. Wright secured the gift from fellow inductee Edson A. Martin that moved the College to its current location. Mr. Wright and Dr. French worked closely together, as Wright served as acting director and president several more times during French’s 24-year tenure. He also served as vice president for student affairs and was a vice president during part of Dr. Earl W. MacArthur’s presidency. He resigned in 1976 after 28 years of service that included administrative duties that dealt with student affairs and admissions, among others.
View the entire ceremony:
The College is seeking nominations for future classes of the college-wide Hall of Fame. Information on criteria for induction and the nomination form can be found at http://www.canton.edu/hof/nomination.html.
Prominent patron’s legacy lives on through memories of his generosity, dedication, and charisma.
One of the most well-respected and generous SUNY Canton faculty members in College history has passed away.
Distinguished Professor Emeritus and longstanding Foundation Board Member Richard W. Miller died earlier this morning (Friday, January 6, 2012) at his West Main Street home in Canton. He was 93 years old.
“Dick’s passing saddens me greatly,” said SUNY Canton President Joseph L. Kennedy. “In addition to being one of the most respected individuals at the College, he and his wife Irene were personal friends of my family. I’m certain many would join me in saying that their lives have been enriched through his friendship and ongoing dedication to the College and greater Canton Community.”
Mr. Miller began teaching at SUNY Canton (then known as the Agricultural and Technical Institute) on June 7, 1946. He was a professor and Department Chairman of the Electrical Engineering Technology Department. In 1975, he was named an Outstanding Educator in America and the year following he won the State University of New York Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching. In 1982, he received the SUNY Canton College Council’s Distinguished Faculty Award, and in 1990 the Council presented him with the Distinguished Citizen Award. He organized the SUNY Canton chapter of Tau Alpha Pi National Honor Society for Engineering Technology and was an esteemed advisor to the Alpha chapter of the Theta Gamma Fraternity. He retired in 1983.
“Dick was one of the most influential faculty members to ever teach at SUNY Canton,” Kennedy said. “He assisted countless generations of successful graduates during his career. After he retired, he created scholarships to benefit incoming students. His legacy will live on across the campus.”
In 2003, Mr. Miller became the first donor in College history to make a million dollar donation to the SUNY Canton Foundation. His unrestricted donation led the college to name the then newly constructed campus center in his honor.
“I have had three loves of my life: The first, my wife Irene; the second, my family; and the third, this College,” Mr. Miller said at the Richard W. Miller Campus Center Dedication and Ribbon Cutting Ceremony.
He followed his donation with an additional $50,000 gift to the College in honor of his longstanding friendship with the Kennedys in 2010. Combined with his annual scholarship, Mr. Miller donated more than $1.6 million to SUNY Canton.
“Mr. Miller’s profound impact on SUNY Canton can be seen from anywhere on campus,” said Director of Alumni and Development Peggy S. Levato. “His generosity allowed us to make immeasurable progress at the College. He gave his time and heart to this college and for that, we will forever be indebted to him.”
Many alumni and current students knew Mr. Miller through his frequent involvement in campus following his retirement. In the past year he was a guest of honor at the College’s Kingston Fireplace Dedication, Holiday Luncheon, Scholarship Luncheon, and Alumni Weekend Celebration, among others. He attended his 65th consecutive commencement ceremony in 2011.
Update (Monday, Jan 9): Calling hours are 3 to 6 p.m. Thursday, January 12, at Lawrence Funeral Home, 21 Park St., Canton, with a service at 10:30 a.m. Friday, January 13 at the First Presbyterian Church, 17 Park St., and a reception to follow at the Richard W. Miller Campus Center at SUNY Canton. A Masonic service will be held on Thursday 5:45 p.m. Interment will be in Evergreen Cemetery in the spring. In lieu of flowers, the family suggests contributions in Richard’s name to the Canton Neighborhood Center, 5 West St., Canton Methodist Church Food Kitchen, or the Richard W. Miller Scholarship at SUNY Canton. Condolences may be sent to www.lawrencefuneralhome.org.
A complete obituary submitted my Mr. Miller’s family can be viewed at http://www.canton.edu/news/index.php/miller-obituary/
Please use the comments section below to share your memories and reflections.
Update (Saturday Jan. 7): SUNY Canton College Council Chair Ronald M. O’Neill’s Statement on the Passing of Richard W. Miller
“Yesterday, SUNY Canton lost a great friend. Today, on behalf of the entire College Council, we mourn Dick’s passing and celebrate his life. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and many friends.”
“Dick was truly one of a kind. His contributions to SUNY Canton and the community cannot be measured in mere dollars. Teacher, mentor, friend, supporter, Dick was all these and much more. For more than six decades, Dick gave of his time, energy and money to ensuring SUNY Canton would continue to grow and flourish.”
“His dedication and fierce loyalty set a shining example for our campus and the greater North Country. While we will miss his presence at events, and his wise counsel and wit, we know that his legacy at SUNY Canton is enduring, which is just the way he planned it.”
A prominent area business owner and Toyota Motor Corporation recently made matching gifts to the SUNY Canton College Foundation.
Ed Cloce, President of TJ Toyota in Potsdam and a1959 automotive technology alumnus, recently presented SUNY Canton President Dr. Joseph L. Kennedy with a check following a donation to the College by his parent company.
MATCHING GIFTS - SUNY Canton President Joseph L. Kennedy receives a donation from the President of TJ Toyota and 1959 alumnus Ed Cloce.
“Mr. Cloce has been an active and supportive alumnus who cares deeply about the success and continued growth of the College,” Kennedy said. “He’s demonstrated his ongoing commitment to our College at many levels by helping develop our students’ learning experiences and by hiring many of our graduates.”
TJ Toyota recently expanded their business and completed a major facility upgrade. In recognition of the achievement, the New York regional offices of Toyota Motor Sales USA made a donation on behalf of Cloce to the SUNY Canton College Foundation to benefit the College’s automotive program. Cloce then matched the gift with an unrestricted donation to the SUNY Canton Foundation in honor of Kennedy.
“Together with his previous donations, Mr. Cloce has donated approximately $50,000 in assets and funding to the SUNY Canton College Foundation,” said SUNY Canton Vice President for Advancement David M. Gerlach. “We can’t thank him enough for his support of our programs and our administration.”
Cloce previously donated a Toyota Prius during the SUNY Canton Centennial Campaign in addition to establishing the Ed and Clara Cloce Scholarship in 1989. The family’s scholarship provides annual funding for one student enrolled in the College’s Canino School of Engineering Technology. Combined, the donations totaled approximately $3,000.
A portion of the funding will be used to purchase new equipment for servicing late model and hybrid vehicles in the college’s state-of-the-art automotive laboratories.
“We made this donation because of the extraordinary accomplishments the college has achieved under the guidance of President Kennedy,” Cloce said. “It is my hope that my donations help SUNY Canton students remember and value their education.”
Cloce is a member of the SUNY Canton College Foundation Board of Directors and a member of the automotive program’s advisory board. He received the Alumni Association’s Distinguished Alumni Award at the College’s 101st Commencement Ceremony in 2009.
Media inquiries should be directed to Gregory Kie, Media Relations Manager, or call 315/386-7527.
Generally speaking, the best applicants arrive early and dress professionally for the SUNY Canton Fall Career Fair.
Employers will be recruiting at this year’s fair from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 5, in the Richard W. Miller Campus Center’s Intramural Gym. The event is free and open to community and alumni job seekers, in addition to SUNY Canton students.
Vermont State Trooper and 2009 SUNY Canton graduate Ashley A. Farmer speaks with students at last year’s career fair.
According to David Norenberg, director of career services, students should treat a Career Fair as an introductory interview with every prospective employer they meet.
“Students who have been most successful at starting a career will use their first meetings with employers as a chance to demonstrate their unique talents and motivation,” he said. “In many cases our students already have the hands-on experience that employers are looking for in their next round of hires.”
The College’s faculty members have developed working relationships with key companies and consistently tailor the College’s hands-on education to mirror industry standard practices.
“Our alumni network reaches throughout the North Country and beyond,” said Vice President for Advancement David M. Gerlach. “We’ve consistently seen companies recruit our future graduates despite economic downturns and uncertain futures. Their loyalty speaks to the effectiveness of a SUNY Canton education.”
Among the companies and organizations represented at this year’s Career Fair are:
C & S Companies
Cazenovia Equipment Company, Inc.
Champlain Valley Physician’s Hospital
Eagle’s Nest Veterinary Hospital
International Brother of Electrical Workers (IBEW)
Massena Memorial Hospital
New York State Department of Transportation
Northern Federal Credit Union
Schneider Packaging Equipment Co., Inc.
SeaComm Federal Credit Union
Siemens Industries, Inc.
St. Lawrence County One Stop Career Center
SUNY Upstate Medical University
Tecta America Corp
TRC Power Delivery
Vermont State Police
Last year, the College interviewed several employers at the SUNY Canton Spring Career Fair.
Media inquiries should be directed to Gregory Kie, Media Relations Manager, or call 315/386-7527.
A recent gift made to SUNY Canton recognizes the significant impact a two-time alumna has had on both the College and local communities.
Barbara Theobald Rich Wilder, class of 1953 and 1970, will be honored at the dedication of ‘The Barbara Rich Wilder Nursing/PTA Study Suite’ at 2 p.m. on Saturday, August 20. The ceremony will take place in the suite, which features a lounge area for nursing students as well as a computer and study room.
Barbara Rich Wilder (third from left) will be honored at the dedication of ‘The Barbara Rich Wilder Nursing/PTA Study Suite’ on Saturday, August 20. She is pictured with (from left) her husband, Frederick, SUNY Canton Board of Directors Chair Bernie Regan, and President Joseph L. Kennedy.
“We’re thankful for Barbara’s constant efforts to help SUNY Canton and our students succeed,” said SUNY Canton President Joseph L. Kennedy. “Having her name on the suite will remind our students of the kind of professional and person they should aspire to be. We appreciate her leadership and guidance as a donor, volunteer and advocate.”
Wilder, who has served as a director on the Canton College Foundation since 2009, was unaware of the gift being made by her husband Frederick who wanted to surprise her. The gift was unveiled at a recent Canton College Foundation Board meeting.
“SUNY Canton has been great for the North Country as so many students have been able to obtain a sound education for a successful future. We feel very strongly that it is more important now to invest in SUNY Canton,” Wilder said. “Both Frederick and I hope this room will be a place for nursing and physical therapy assistant students to meet, reflect, plan, and study so they will be prepared to be among the best in all graduating health professionals.”
Wilder attended the College in 1953 and later returned as a non-traditional student in the nursing program and graduated in 1970. She then became a registered nurse and worked in the field.
Wilder has served in a number of volunteer roles throughout the community. She has served as a former trustee of the Benton Library Board and the Canton Methodist Church and was also a former board of director for St. Lawrence County Cooperative Extension, 4-H Division, and the Canton Garden Club. She has been an active volunteer for the American Red Cross, Well Child Clinics, and the Canton Rescue Squad.
Media inquiries should be directed to Gregory Kie, Media Relations Coordinator, or call 315/386-7528.
SUNY Canton’s upcoming Alumni Weekend celebration will include the induction of the first 25 members to the College’s newly created Hall of Fame.
The college-wide Hall of Fame, designed to honor people who have made significant contributions to the College, will conduct its first induction ceremony at a special dinner on Friday, June 10 in Chaney Dining Center. The Alumni Weekend will also include alumni games in SUNY Canton’s new Roos House athletic center on Saturday, June 11.
Those eligible for induction into the Hall of Fame include, but are not limited to, alumni, founders, community members, and retired faculty and staff members. The first class also includes past presidents, athletes and coaches.
“Our inductees have made SUNY Canton a priority in their lives,” said Dr. Joseph L. Kennedy, SUNY Canton president. “We honor them for their involvement with our community, their personal successes, and the impact they’ve made on SUNY Canton. These are the people our students will look up to, appreciate and aspire to be.”
The class is just the first installment of the Hall of Fame’s Century Club, which will include the College’s first 100 inductees. The College will induct three more groups of 25 in the next 18 months.
“So many people have impacted our College in significant ways, but we could not induct them all at once,” Kennedy noted. “We wanted to make sure we took the time to honor each individual in the way they deserve to be honored and recognized. In the coming year and a half, we will induct the other members of the Century Club and from there, continue with annual inductions.”
The inaugural Hall of Fame inductees include:
Leon E. Bagley, class of 1948, graduated with an engineering technology degree and worked at GE for 35 years. He was a World War II veteran and enrolled at Canton ATI under the GI Bill. He was passionate about education and the North Country. The Bagleys have had three generations attend the College: his son Timothy graduated in 1985 and his grandson Alexander graduated in 2005. Bagley was instrumental in creating his sister-in-law Alice Bagley’s scholarship in 1997. At the time, it was the largest scholarship in the history of the College. He and his wife established the Leon and Rachael Bagley Endowed Scholarship in 2002. General Electric matched the funds in excess of $220,000 with an additional $150,000 given at the time of his death;
William Brown, class of 1961, who was one of the finest basketball players in the history of the College and went on to become one of the original members of the Harlem Globetrotters. Following his career at Canton ATC, he played Division I basketball at Texas Western and has enjoyed an extremely successful business career. He currently works as a director at UBS Financial Services in Weehawken, N.J. Brown’s Northmen had a record of 34-5 in his two years in Canton;
Barbara A. Burnham, class of 1946, who is a long time generous donor and has supported scholarships for students at SUNY Canton. She was a teacher for many years and also enjoyed a successful real estate career. She made the College a priority in her philanthropic efforts, establishing an endowed scholarship in her name. She gave a large gift during the troubled economic times because of her commitment to making higher education possible for SUNY Canton students. She has been an active member of the Alumni Association since graduation and published a poem about the College titled, ‘Dear Aggie;’
Alden C. Chadwick, who devoted 28 years of service to the College Association as a member of the Board of Directors. He served as the assistant dean of students and was the College’s first director of financial aid. One of his most prominent roles was serving as director of athletics, where he helped expand women’s sport offerings. A scholarship was established in his name in 1993 that honors a senior student who has demonstrated academic success while participating in an intercollegiate athletic program. He was also a Ithaca College Athletic Hall of Fame inductee (1988) and high school and college basketball referee;
Elaine Claxton Pidgeon, class of 1939, who ultimately became director of home economics and food services in the North Syracuse Central School District and served as president of the New York State School Food Service Association. She donated one of the largest gifts to the College to help support outstanding students pursue their scholarly goals. During her years at Canton, Pidgeon was one of the winners of Payson Lecture, a highly competitive speech competition dating back to that time period. After leaving Canton, she became very well known for her extraordinary philanthropic efforts throughout central and northern New York;
Stanley W. Cohen, who worked at the College for 39 years and eventually became SUNY Canton’s Athletic Director and served in that capacity until 1972. He began his Canton career as basketball coach and as an accounting instructor. He led some of the most successful basketball teams in the history of the College and coached fellow Hall of Famers William Brown and Robert C. Rogers. During his tenure, he expanded the sport offerings by adding hockey, wrestling, cross country, and baseball. Under his leadership, the Canton Aggies became the Northmen. He was an integral part of the athletic department over a span of five decades until his departure in 1996;
Evan M. Dana, class of 1931, who contributed 40 years of service to SUNY Canton. He was a faculty member and chairman of the Division of Agriculture, coach of several athletic teams and was instrumental in the early history of the Alumni Association, serving as president from 1935 to 1939. He was named the College’s Distinguished Citizen in 1977 and the College’s former athletic facility, Dana Hall, was named in honor of his many contributions;
John L. Halford, Sr., class of 1949 and World War II veteran, who is one of SUNY Canton’s biggest supporters. He established two scholarships and his gifts have led to several naming opportunities around campus, including the Halford Lobby in the Faculty Office Building and the John L. Halford Alumni Suite in the College’s new Roos House athletic center. In 1999, he became the College’s first member of the Legacy Society by establishing a $50,000 charitable remainder trust and in 2010 he received the College’s Distinguished Alumnus Award. He serves on the SUNY Canton Foundation Board of Directors;
Herman W. Kalberer, who was a professor in chemistry for 37 years and played a critical role in establishing the Honors Convocation Luncheon. He was a favorite among students because he challenged them in the classroom so they could be successful in their careers. The chemistry labs in Cook Hall are dedicated to him and his many efforts, including his generous gifts to the College that have assisted non-traditional students complete their studies. He was named Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Chemistry in 2003;
Harry E. King, class of 1940,who worked at the College for 37 years and started the heating, ventilation and air conditioning program in 1946. One of the most profound ways King influenced SUNY Canton was teaching, developing a wonderfully crafted air conditioning program that prepared students for successful careers in the field.He was the recipient of several awards and is a former Alumni Association president. In 2008, more than 200 alumni, family and friends of King came together early in the year and raised $150,000 to name the new air conditioning laboratory after him to honor the impact he had on their lives;
Terry L. Martin, who served as the College’s head men’s ice hockey coach from 1974-1999, compiling a record of 527-211-29, including a 102-11-8 mark in his final four seasons. His team won 12 national championship titles throughout his career. Martin also served as men’s athletic director, women’s soccer coach, men’s lacrosse coach and taught in the physical education department. He was the 2009 recipient of the American Hockey Coaches Association’s prestigious John “Snooks” Kelley Founders Award, recognizing the effect Martin had on the collegiate sport;
Virginia M. McAllister, who was the first director of the College’s nursing program. She spent 42 years in the nursing profession, including her last 14 years with the College. Today, the nursing program is one of the most popular and successful programs at SUNY Canton. The Virginia McAllister Award for Excellence in Nursing was established in 1979;
Richard W. Miller, who dedicated 65 years to SUNY Canton and was a distinguished professor of electrical engineering technology for 37 years. In 1976, he received the Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching. The prior year, he was named an Outstanding Educator in America. In 1982, he received the SUNY Canton College Council’s Distinguished Faculty Award. Miller is an esteemed advisor to the Alpha chapter of the Theta Gamma Fraternity, a post he has held since 1948. He remains an active member of the SUNY Canton Foundation Board of Directors and the Alumni Association Board of Directors. The Richard W. Miller Campus Center is named in honor of his generous gifts to the College;
Peter Nevaldine, who introduced the industrial chemistry and technical electricity programs to the College in 1937. In 1946, he developed and introduced the mechanical, air conditioning, and production supervision curricula. His guidance direction ushered in the automotive technology, construction and civil technology, engineering science, and industrial technology programs. Under Nevaldine’s leadership, the engineering technology division became the first publicly supported school among AAS-granting institutions to receive accreditation from the Engineering Council for Professional Development. In 1988, the SUNY Board of Trustees resolved that the College’s engineering technology building be renamed Peter Nevaldine Hall on the 15th anniversary of his retirement. His students are among the most successful to graduate from the College;
Ronald J. O’Brien, who was the first hockey coach at the College. His efforts and determination were critical in the success of the program, as O’Brien captured the College’s first two national junior college championships. He also won seven regional titles and compiled an impressive record of 133-27 in his tenure;
Jean M. Parker, who began her 15-year career at SUNY Canton as associate dean of students and dean of women. She became the College’s first female vice president when she took the role of vice president of student affairs and dean of students on July 1, 1976. She nurtured the development of the student affairs division during the College’s rapidly growing student enrollment period of the late 1970s and early 1980s. Parker established an endowment that provides students the opportunity to further their leadership potential;
Robert C. Rogers, class of 1960, who was a member of one of the most successful basketball teams in the College’s history both years he attended the College. He enjoyed a successful career for 41 years in the elevator industry and recently made a gift to the College honoring Coach Stanley Cohen that will provide SUNY Canton students with scholarships to help them achieve their educational goals. Rogers’ Northmen had a record of 34-6 in his two years at Canton. He went on to play Division I basketball at New Mexico State;
Emma D. Rose, who is considered by many as the biggest supporter of SUNY Canton Athletics in the history of the College. She was a favorite among coaches, players and other fans, traveling the world with the hockey team and housing a number of players until the late 1980s. She committed herself to the athletic programs for multiple generations. Her commitment to the hockey program earned her the right to drop the first puck at the junior college national tournament when it was held in Canton. Rose worked in a number of capacities at the College while supporting the Northmen; she worked as a stenographer in the Division of Arts and Sciences from 1966 until her retirement in 1979. She continued working at the College on a temporary basis until 1986, working in several departments on the campus, including the President’s office;
Louis H. Saban, who helped launch the SUNY Canton football program in 1995 and coached the team for six years, the longest stint of his career. Saban spent 16 seasons coaching professional football with the New England Patriots, Buffalo Bills, and the Denver Broncos. He compiled a 34-16 record during his career at SUNY Canton, including a 7-0 high mark during his first season at the helm of the program. The College’s football field was proudly named in his honor in the late 90′s. He also spent time as president of the New York Yankees working closely with famed owner George Steinbrenner;
Lottie E. Southworth, who joined the College’s staff after teaching at local public schools and served as an assistant to an instructor in domestic arts. She helped shape the College as one of the most influential early instructors. She worked primarily with the women and provided them with the experience needed to be successful in domestic professions. Southworth supervised the Practice House, located near campus, where students learned to cook, clean and entertain and host guests. She was a favorite among her students and commanded the respect of everyone on campus. Each year, she hosted a tea for everyone at the College at her home in the village. After retiring in 1945, the Southworth Library was named in her honor;
Wesley L. Stitt, who has assisted countless North Country high school students in taking the next steps in their education. He chaired the College Council from 1996-2008 and has served in a variety of roles at SUNY Canton since 1964. He was the superintendent of the Ogdensburg City School District until his retirement in 1990. Stitt was the recipient of the President’s Meritorious Service Award in 2010 and was the College’s Distinguished Citizen in 2008. He was at the helm of the College Council during a period where SUNY Canton experienced dramatic growth both in enrollment numbers and four-year degree programs. Stitt was instrumental in securing funds for the Newell Veterinary Technology Center, the Richard W. Miller Campus Center, and the College’s new Roos House athletic center. He is a consistent proponent of SUNY Canton’s award-winning Steel Bridge Team and the University Police Department;
Margaret P. Vining, who worked at the college for 28 years and retired in 1996 as associate dean of the school of health and medical technology. She began work at SUNY Canton in 1968 as an instructional support associate in the nursing lab and later was named director of the nursing program. Under her leadership, the nursing program thrived and the College was able to establish the bachelor’s degree in health services management. A favorite among students, she was one of only 407 nurses statewide to receive the Nurse of Distinction designation in 1991, which is based upon significant contributions to the field of nursing;
Erich L. vonSchiller, who served the College for 32 years as an instructor and a coach for four sports teams and is professor emeritus of physical education. He came to the campus as a physical education instructor in 1967 and started the College’s soccer team, which became one of the top programs in the nation after only two years. He was the assistant basketball coach until 1973 when he took over the program. He also coached baseball and lacrosse for one year. VonSchiller’s teams were highly successful, competing in regional and national tournaments, while several of his players were named All-Americans. He retired with more than 1,000 total wins across his collegiate coaching career; and
John H. Wells, class of 1951, who established the College’s one-year heating and plumbing service program after owning his own heating and plumbing business for 17 years. He taught at the College for 23 years until his retirement in 1991. His wife Shirley established an endowment scholarship in his honor to recognize his wonderful teaching contributions; his students are among the College’s most successful alumni.
Earl W. and Joyce A. MacArthur, who have positively influenced the college for more than 35 years. The SUNY Canton Foundation was created through their vision and foresight. It continues to thrive with their continuing input and guidance. MacArthur served as the College’s President from 1972 to 1993 and ensured a brighter future for SUNY Canton despite the difficult challenges it faced. The College honored him for his leadership in 2005 by naming him the recipient of the annual Distinguished Citizen award;
Future SUNY Canton students will benefit from the generosity of an alumnus who wanted to recognize the accomplishments of his former basketball coach, mentor and friend.
Robert C. Rogers, class of 1960, recently made a $100,000 gift to honor Stanley Cohen, who served as an instructor, a coach, and an athletic director throughout his 39-year tenure with the College.
“Student-athletes spend just as much time practicing as they do in the classroom, so it’s no surprise when they reflect on their collegiate careers and realize their coaches are the ones who encouraged them to go on to do great things,” said SUNY Canton President Joseph L. Kennedy. “Stan Cohen is a great example of this as he served as a mentor to his athletes, colleagues and community members. We thank Bob for his gift to the College, which illustrates Stan’s influence on SUNY Canton.”
The Stanley Cohen Endowed Scholarship will be awarded to scholar-athletes who demonstrate exemplary academic achievement and financial need and are United States citizens.
Cohen, a graduate of Hobart College and a dual-sport athlete for the Statesmen, came to SUNY Canton in 1957 and started out as the basketball coach and an accounting instructor. He eventually became the College’s athletic director and served in that capacity until 1972. He expanded the sport offerings by adding hockey, wrestling, cross country, and baseball.
Under his leadership, the Canton Aggies became the Northmen as a way of differentiating themselves from the other agricultural and technical schools. He retired in 1996 from the physical education department.
“Stan not only had a profound impact on his players, but on the College as well,” said Vice President for Advancement David M. Gerlach. “He was able to garner support and build the foundation for SUNY Canton athletics. The growth of our athletic program over the last several decades is because of the work Stan put in to creating it.”
For Rogers, honoring Cohen through an endowed scholarship was the perfect tribute to his coach, who emphasized the importance of students achieving both their athletic and educational goals.
“Stan instilled a work ethic in each of us that we knew we needed to be successful,” he said. “He had a steadying effect on the squad and was a dynamic and energetic coach who helped us grow and develop as players and people.”
Rogers majored in electrical technology and was an integral part of the basketball squad’s success thanks to his impressive rebounding and defensive skills. He helped guide the team to a 34-6 overall record in his two years on the squad.
Following his career with the Northmen, the Watertown native played basketball for New Mexico State. Rogers worked in the elevator industry for 41 years, which included an 11-year stint with Otis Elevator Company before he joined the Miami Elevator Company, where he worked for 30 years. He now resides in Cape Coral, Fla., with his wife, Margaret.
SUNY Canton’s annual alumni weekend will be highlighted by games in the brand-new Roos House Athletic Center and an inaugural College-wide Hall of Fame induction.
Alumni weekend will begin at 9 a.m. Friday, June 10, with events lasting through Sunday, June 12, at venues around campus and the Canton community.
The College’s Alumni Office made special invitation to former student-athletes, coaches and fans to help celebrate the completion of the $42-million athletic facility.
“The idea for this year’s alumni weekend is based on the incredibly successful hockey reunion we held in 2006,” said SUNY Canton President Joseph L. Kennedy. “We’ve extended an invitation to former athletes and coaches from all sports, but we hope that all alumni come take part in this important moment in the College’s history.”
At the previous hockey reunion, nearly 200 players returned to their alma mater. Select guests were chosen to ceremonially break the ice for the new building, which included plans to bring a rink to the college’s campus for the first time.
“With the opening of the Roos House, SUNY Canton will enjoy ‘home ice’ for the first time ever,” noted Terry Martin, who served as the College’s head men’s ice hockey coach for 25 years and compiled a record of 527-211-29 that also included 12 national championship titles. Martin also served as men’s athletic director, women’s soccer coach, men’s lacrosse coach and taught in the physical education department at various points while at SUNY Canton.
“I’ve been to athletic centers across the country and this is among the best that I’ve seen,” he said.
The College’s inaugural Hall of Fame induction will also take place during the weekend. The dinner will celebrate 25 alumni, retired faculty, staff, and college founders who have made significant contributions to the history of SUNY Canton and the surrounding community.
“Our alumni and friends have accomplished so much throughout their lifetime and we are proud to honor them in this way,” said Julie Parkman, associate director of development. “The Hall of Fame and its members tell SUNY Canton’s story through their examples of dedication and service.”
Over the next two years, the College will celebrate 100 inductees who will be known as the Hall of Fame Century Club. Annual inductions will take place once the Century Club is in place.