SUNY Canton faculty, staff, and student volunteers will be on campus throughout the weekend to assist new students as they move in for the first time.
The Fall 2010 academic semester starts at 8 a.m. Monday, August 23, at the College, making this the first busy weekend of the semester.
“We’re anticipating a third consecutive year of record enrollment,” noted SUNY Canton President Joseph L. Kennedy. “We were hard-pressed to top last year’s enrollment of 3,300 students, but our admissions office has brought in another outstanding class while increasing selectivity.”
Among the events surrounding opening weekend include:
- Freshman and transfer students will be moving on campus beginning at 8 a.m. Saturday, August 21 at SUNY Canton.
- Representatives from the SUNY Canton Parent-Family Association will be staffing hospitality areas all-day Saturday.
- Returning students are scheduled to move back in beginning at 8 a.m. Sunday, August 22.
- Games and orientation events will be held beginning at 10:45 a.m. Sunday on the College’s turf field.
- A special welcome for all 400 first-year experience students will be held at noon Sunday on the College’s turf field.
- A College-wide picnic will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. Monday, August 23, on the Roselle Academic Plaza.
On-campus housing is full, and courses are filling up quickly. Students are encouraged to process their bills before the start of the semester to ensure a smooth transition. Most student-centered services will be available from 8-4 on Saturday and 12-4 on Sunday. For more information call the SUNY Canton main line, 315.386.7000, or 1.800.388.7123.
Media inquiries should be directed to Gregory Kie, Media Relations Coordinator, or call 315/386-7528.