Once your order has been filled, it is important to forward to the Business Office any invoices or bills that were received with your items. If the invoices are not received in the Office of Procurement & Travel Services, payment can not be made; thus, incurring late charges and interest for the requestor's departmental budget.
Purchasing follows SUNY's fiscal year, which runs from July 1 through June 30. There may be some delays in this office as we work with the System Administration during the conversion of lapsed year to current fiscal year.
- Goods and contractual services are requested on an electronic requisition (E- Req). Approvals are generated through a Workflow System. Requestors are not authorized to make purchases. For internal control purposes, all purchases are to be placed through the Office of Procurement & Travel Services.
- All E-Reqs should have complete vendor information, as well as product description, to facilitate the purchasing process. Incomplete forms may be returned to the requester, resulting in a delay in the purchasing process, inevitably ending in a delay in the delivery of the items desired.
- If merchandise is to be previewed, an E-Req must be submitted indicating the desire to preview. If the merchandise is returned, notify the Procurement Office and the Purchase Order will be cancelled.
- Purchases requiring special maintenance services, such as plumbing or electricity, must be approved by the Director of Physical Plant.
- When ordering toxic or hazardous material, please indicate on the
E-Req that the OSHA-20 Material Data Sheets are required.
- Films and videos are ordered through the Tape Librarian in Southworth Library.
- In order to avoid duplicate software purchases and to ensure that computer equipment and software is supportable and compatible with the College's computer equipment, software and hardware purchases, purchases should be coordinated through Information Services.
- Commodities available on centralized state contracts or from a preferred vendor, (e.g. Department of Corrections, NYS Industries for the Disabled, etc.), must be purchased from that source unless the same item can be purchased at a lower amount from another supplier and a release is granted from OGS. Please allow two weeks for the release to be obtained.
- Local emergency purchases from State Purpose, DIFR or IFR accounts, can be made by obtaining a purchase authorization (PA) from the Procurement Office in French Hall. This authorization must be signed by a designated person in Purchasing. Purchase Authorizations should be less than $1,000 and must be accompanied with an E-Req form and justification.
- Bills must be paid within 22 days of receipt of goods and of an acceptable invoice by the College. Bills not paid within 22 days are liable for interest which will be charged to the originating account. To avoid interest payments, please promptly forward invoices to the Office of Procurement & Travel Services. Goods should be immediately inspected by the requestor for damages, missing or non-working parts and problems should be reported immediately to the Office of Procurement & Travel Services and Central Receiving.
- It is the policy of the State of New York that when goods and services are available from competing vendors, agencies should solicit request for quotes (RFQ) from vendors, and then, execute the purchasing process.
- One (1) written quote must be obtained for
purchases up to $5,000.
- B. Three (3) written quotes must be obtained for purchases between $5,000.01 and $15,000.
- Purchases between $10,000 and $20,000 must be submitted, in advance, on a quarterly listing with the New York State Contract Reporter. Some orders exceeding $15,000 may require a Vendor Responsibility Questionnaire be filled out. Please contact the Office of Procurement & Travel Services for clarification and assistance with bid requirements for orders exceeding $15,000.
- Competitive purchases exceeding $20,000 must be published in the New York State Contract Reporter prior to the RFP (Request for Proposal) or RFB (Request for Bid) being distributed. Allow at least six (6) to eight (8) weeks for processing.
- All contracts of the following nature are to be executed on behalf of the University by the vice chancellor for finance, or the chancellor's designee is required for lease contracts over $500,000.
- Where competition is not available because of the sole source nature of a product, a written justification must be submitted with the E-Req, and it must be approved by the Vice President for Administration before the Purchase Order can be processed.
- If a multi-year contract is to be entered, the total cost of the service or items over the course of the contract should be listed on the E-Req. The cost is then divided by the length of the contract to determine the portion to be charged to the current year. It is possible for a contract to have only a few months in the current year, several full years and then end with the remainder of the months in the last year of the contract. The President and Vice President of Administrative Services are the only ones authorized to sign contracts.
State Finance Law §§139-j and 139-k solicitations include and impose certain restrictions on communications between a Governmental Entity and an Offerer/Bidder during the procurement process. An Offerer/Bidder is restricted from making contacts from the earliest notice of intent to solicit proposals through final award and approval of the Procurement Contract by SUNY Canton and, if applicable, Office of the State Comptroller ("restricted period") to other than designated staff unless it is a contact that is included among certain statutory exceptions set forth in State Finance Law §139-j(3)(a).
A complete copy of the State University of New York Procurement Lobbying Policy and Procedure is available for review at www.suny.info/policies.
Expected processing time, once the requisition is logged in at the Office of Procurement & Travel Services; subject to change.
|Purchase Dollar Range||Expected Processing Time*|
|Price Soliciting from Vendors|
|Up to $5,000||1-2 weeks||Written Price Confirmation|
|$5,000.01 to $15,000||1-3 weeks||3 Written Quotes|
|$15,000.01 and higher||1-8 weeks||Contact Office of Procurement & Travel Services for assistance with bid requirements|
**THE PURCHASING STAFF RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK COMPETITION
AT ANY LEVEL**
If at any time you have questions about the purchasing procedures, please contact the Office of Procurement & Travel Services at 386-7555.
Do you have questions about the purchasing process? Check out the Purchasing FAQ page for some additional information.
Office of Procurement & Travel Services
34 Cornell Drive
Canton, NY 13617
Fax: (315) 386-7925