General Education Assessment (GER)
At SUNY Canton, students enrolled in the Associate of Arts (AA) or Associate of Science (AS) degree must complete seven of the ten Knowledge and Skills Areas of General Education in order to transfer seamlessly to another SUNY college to earn a baccalaureate degree. In order to meet graduation requirements, students enrolled in a SUNY Canton baccalaureate degree program must complete 30 credit hours of general education which must include Mathematics (GER 1) and Basic Communication (GER 10) as well as at least three credits each in at least five of the following academic areas – natural science, social science, American history, Western Civilization, Other World Civilizations, humanities, the arts and foreign languages. (See individual baccalaureate degree requirements for exceptions to this mandate.) All students will fulfill competency outcomes in Critical Thinking and Information Management, which are infused throughout the curricula.
Faculty and students will periodically be required to engage in assessment activities to ensure that the General Education learning outcomes are being met. Assessment of General Education learning outcomes follows a three year cycle, as explained in the resources below:
The links below contain the methodology, rubrics, faculty report forms, GER summary forms, and most recent reports for each GER area.
- GER 1 — Mathematics (Alice Reed)
- GER 2 — Natural Sciences (Wil Rivers)
- GER 3 — Social Sciences (Barat Wolfe)
- GER 4 — American History (Patrick LaPierre)
- GER 5 — Western Civilization (Jennifer Sovde)
- GER 6 — Other World Civilizations (Patrick LaPierre)
- GER 7 — Humanities (Kirk Jones)
- GER 8 — Arts (Kathleen Mahoney)
- GER 9 — Foreign Language (Ali Zaidi)
- GER 10 — Basic Communication (Kirk Jones)
- GER 11 — Critical Thinking (Infused) (Kirk Jones)
- GER 12 — Information Management (Jessica Spooner)
Provost & Vice President for Academic Affairs
Douglas M. Scheidt, Ph.D.
34 Cornell Drive
Canton, NY 13617