Build Greater Awareness
of SUNY Canton
In an effort to enhance the profile of SUNY Canton and the SUNY system across a full range of both internal and external constituencies, the College will execute several essential promotional projects over the coming decade.
The Office of Public Relations launched a number of initiatives over the past year to increase the College’s visibility, most notably an extensive video campaign highlighting degree programs, special events, and prominent alumni. The series has collectively received more than 13,500 views on YouTube.
The College is crowdsourcing content creation to departments, including Financial Aid and the College Association, who benefit from centralized communications directly with Facebook audiences.
Social media remains an important means of outreach, especially to deliver crisis communications. An emergency situation in October rapidly reached more than 25,000 users. The posts supplement campus-wide emails and New York Alert emergency messages.
The Office of Public Relations also oversees the College’s Instagram account, @sunycantongram. The photo-sharing site has helped the College contribute to SUNY’s overall social media outreach efforts through the @suny account.
The SUNY Canton Funeral Services Administration program has been receiving national attention over the past year. In Fall of 2014, the program hosted a reporter from BuzzFeed, which has led to more recent inquiries from MTV, Vice Media, and Big Table Media. There is an increasing demand for qualified funeral directors due to retirements among the older generation and more women are considering the profession than in years past.
SUNY Canton has received a number of national awards during the past year that recognize the College’s cost-effective, career-driven programs.
- U.S. News & World Report named SUNY Canton as one of the top schools in the Regional Colleges—North division. The publication also ranked the College’s online bachelor’s degree programs among the best in the country.
- STEM Jobs magazine included SUNY Canton in its 2015 list of STEM Jobs Approved Colleges. The list features schools that have programs aligned with highdemand STEM occupations. SUNY Canton was chosen specifically for its program diversity and successful job placement.
- Affordable Colleges Online named SUNY Canton’s bachelor’s degrees in Criminal Justice: Law Enforcement Leadership and Legal Studies as two of the most economical online programs of their kind in the nation.
- Military Advanced Education magazine and G.I. Jobs magazine both selected SUNY Canton as one of the most military-friendly schools in the nation.
- GreatValueColleges.net named SUNY Canton to its list of “25 Great Small Colleges for Animal Lovers” in recognition of the Pet Wing housing option and veterinary technology degrees.