Build Greater Awareness
of SUNY Canton
In an effort to enhance the profile of SUNY Canton and the SUNY system across a full range of both internal and external constituencies, the College will execute several essential promotional projects over the coming decade.
SUNY Canton continues to increase its visibility through the use of social media marketing. The greatest increase in recognition is directly linked to its video marketing efforts.
The College received 59,000 views on YouTube and nearly 91,000 views on Facebook on the 36 videos produced entirely by campus staff this year.
The most popular Facebook video was an endeavor to highlight Mohawk Hall’s pet-friendly wings. Students hold cat yoga sessions in the common space as a stress-management tool. In total, the video received 14 thousand views, 131 likes, 116 shares, and 37 comments, solidifying it as the most popular post to date.
The second most popular effort was linked to SUNY’s Mascot Madness competition. Videographer Morgan D. Elliott’s training montage, a satire of the film “Rocky” featuring Roody Roo, received 8.7 thousand views, 118 likes, 153 shares, and 18 comments.
The most successful media efforts of the semester were linked with faculty research. Regionally, an article about a study to determine if yoga can help students deal with stress appeared in the Canton-specific local papers and the Madison County area. Internationally, the article ran in the Punjab News Express in India.
Another popular press release was a program announcement for the new four-year Agribusiness Management program. Many of the College’s most successful alumni trace their roots back to its agricultural programs. The media outreach effort, including a program video, drew local attention and helped secure funding for a scholarship.
Athletics broke a new record this year. The SUNY Canton men’s basketball program drew an average per game attendance of 565, ranking them first among NCAA Division III schools in New York State during the 2016-17 season.
SUNY Canton has received a number of national awards during the past year that recognize the College’s cost-effective, career-driven programs.
- U.S. News & World Report named SUNY Canton as one of the top schools in the Regional Colleges—North division. The publication also ranked the College’s online bachelor’s degree programs among the top 100 in the country.
- STEM Jobs magazine included SUNY Canton in its 2016 list of STEM Jobs Approved Colleges. The list features schools that have programs aligned with highdemand STEM occupations. SUNY Canton was chosen specifically for its program diversity and successful job placement.
- SUNY Canton Online was also named among the top 10 disability-friendly online schools in the nation, according to SR Education Group.
- Military Advanced Education magazine and G.I. Jobs magazine both selected SUNY Canton as one of the most military-friendly schools in the nation.
- The website LendEDU.com recently ranked SUNY Canton 13th on their list of the top 25 most pet-friendly colleges in the country. The College was chosen largely because of the college’s well-known pet-friendly housing option that began in 1997.