Home > Residence Life > Housing Release

Housing Release

What If I Am Not Planning To Live On Campus?

At SUNY Canton, we have a mandatory housing policy. This means that unless you meet specific criteria, you will be required to live on campus.

The following are exemptions from the mandatory housing policy:

  1. You are married
  2. You are a single parent
  3. You are living with a parent/guardian during the academic year
  4. You are residing in SUNY Canton College approved Greek Housing for the academic year
  5. You are a part time student (plan to enroll for less than 12 credit hours)
  6. You are a Junior or Senior enrolled in a Bachelor’s Degree program
  7. You are or will be 21+ years old (prior to the 1st day of classes)

Even if you meet one of these exemptions, you still must fill out a Housing Release Request Application, which can be found at the Residence Life Office (Mohawk Hall).

The Director of Housing reviews all release requests and will notify you whether or not you are released.

**Please note that if you sign a Housing License (which is located on the Housing Card), you are bound by it for an academic year. This means that if you want to move off campus after you sign the Housing License, you must fill out a "Request for Release From Housing License," which is located in the Residence Life Office (Mohawk Hall)  If you are released from the housing license, you will be charged a $250.00 fee that will be applied to your account at the Student Service Center.(See page 37 in your Student Handbook for more details).

This means that you will not be automatically released for the above reasons once you sign a housing license, as it is a binding agreement. Your release will be considered by the Director of Residence Life, and you will be notified as to the decision.

For further questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.


SUNY Canton Residence Life
Mohawk Hall

34 Cornell Drive
Canton, NY 13617
Phone: 315-386-7513
Fax: 315-386-7969