4th Annual St. Lawrence County Contracting Matchmaker
Wednesday, November 16th, 2016
SUNY Canton, Miller Campus Center
8:00 am – Noon
In partnership with:
What is a Buy Local Matchmaker?
This is an opportunity for local small businesses to meet, one-on-one, with representatives from the colleges, federal agencies, state and local governments and large regional institutions and businesses. These purchasing officers are looking to source products and services from local small businesses. For Purchasing officers, this is an opportunity to see what goods and services might be available to you locally that you weren’t previously aware of. The goal is to make connections between local small businesses and larger purchasing entities that strengthen the local economy.
Matchmaking is like ‘Speed-dating’. You will sign up for 10 minute meetings with purchasers and have that short time to network and share marketing materials. When the bell rings, you move to the next agency on your schedule.
Sign-up with agencies will take place between 8:00 - 8:45 am.
Current List of Agencies and Primes:
St. Lawrence University
St. Lawrence Lewis BOCES
St. Lawrence NYSARC
Fort Drum Mountain Community Homes
Development Authority of the North Country
Town of Colton
St. Lawrence County
New York Power Authority
Products/Services Sought by Purchasers:
Paint & supplies
Food Products - dairy, produce
Clean-up and Restoration
General Maintenance Services
What to Expect?
Before the event:
- Small businesses participating in the Matchmaker have the opportunity to get individualized guidance to help them prepare and get the most out of the day by meeting individually with the SBDC where they will be able to get assistance in developing marketing materials to effectively target purchasing officers from colleges, federal agencies, state and local governments, large regional institutions and major industries in the North Country. To make an appointment call (315) 386-7312. *This counseling is always offered confidentially and free of charge.
- This year the SBDC and St. Lawrence County Chamber, with support from the Workforce Development Institute (WDI), will be making an extra effort to help small businesses prepare for the Buy Local Matchmaker. Registration for the Buy Local Matchmaker also includes FREE ADMISSION to: “Matchmaker Prep: Making an Effective Pitch to Buyers,” a workshop designed to help businesses make the most of the connections they cultivate at the event. Topics will include what materials to provide buyers, how to define your USP and capabilities statement, how to best communicate your strengths, and strategies for follow up after the matchmaker.
A classroom workshop for “Matchmaker Prep: Making an Effective Pitch to Buyers” will be held from 5:00 to 7:00 pm, on Wednesday, October 26 in the Potsdam Community Room. A webinar version of the workshop will also be held from Noon to 1:00 pm. on November 2. These prep sessions are provided to business attendees FREE with paid registration to the Buy Local Matchmaker.
Registration for the Matchmaker is $10 for businesses and pre-registration is recommended. (Webinar registration can be completed at: www.slcchamber.org.) Pre-registered business participants will be given priority scheduling with purchasing officers at 8am while day-of registrants will enter the scheduling room at 8:20am.
The Matchmaker is free for purchasing officers, but pre-registration is required.
During the event:
- Network with local resource representatives and exhibitors during the event.
- Promote your products or services during 10 minute, one-on-one meetings.
- Meet with a Business Advisor for one-on-one 10 minute counseling
Whether your company is already committed to selling to the government or you'd like to start diversifying sales, you won't want to miss this matchmaker conference.
8:00 am: Check-in / Network / Visit Exhibitors
8:00 am: Pre-registered business appointment scheduling
8:20 am: Day-of registered business appointment scheduling
8:45 am: Welcome Remarks & Presentation: “How the SBDC Can Help Grow Your
Business: Highlights of Topics to Discuss with your SBDC Procurement Advisor.”
9:10 am: Matchmaker Begins
10:40 am: 20-minute Network Break
11:00 am: Matchmaking Resumes
12:00 pm: Matchmaking Ends
Pre-registered business participants will be given priority scheduling time at 8:00am.
Day-of registered business participants will enter scheduling room after registration at 8:20am.
Doors open at 8am for check-in. Meeting sign up begins at 8:00 (pre-registered) and 8:20 (day-of registered).
- Business Participant Registration $10: PRINT FORM
Prime Agencies and Government Agencies (FREE): PRINT FORM
Please print appropriate registration form and mail, with check or cash and business card to:
SUNY Canton Small Business Development Center
Wicks Hall 023
34 Cornell Dr.
Canton, NY 13617
Directions and Parking
Miller Campus Center is #5 on Campus Map (in center)
Print: Campus Map
When entering campus, take right at split in road. You will take second left and park in designated lots. Permits will be sent to pre-registered participants. Others will receive day of.
Parking in Lot 13 or 1. Handicap Parking available in Lot 13.
Questions - Contact:SUNY Canton Small Business Development Center
Dale Rice, Director
SUNY Canton SBDC
French Hall 201
Canton, NY 13617