50% Online - This SUNY Canton degree is a hybrid program that can be partially earned online.
Criminal Investigation - B. Tech
CI Students Study
- Forensic Photography
- Latent Prints and Impressions
- Investigative Interviews
- Forensic Investigations
- Crime Scene Investigation
- Investigation of Death
Special expert instruction in:
- Clandestine Graves
- Questioned Documents
- Forensic Analysis
Our CI program is unique:
- The program is a Bachelor's of Technology degree as opposed to a BA or BS.
- The upper level core JUST courses are offered in a "total immersion" fashion.
- This is a hands-on learning program as opposed to theory based.
- CI students perform a 600 hour internship that is investigative in nature.
The internship portion of the Criminal Investigation program is one of the most exciting aspects of the curriculum. You will have the opportunity to join the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives in Washington, DC, or travel across the United States and work with a Medical Examiner's Office. Have you ever dreamed of working with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police or any one of the thousands of Sheriff's Offices throughout the country? Our internships are unique...check out the list!
In Class or Online:
There are many JUST courses offered online, including courses relative the AAS CJ degree and upper level electives for the CI program. Many of the online courses are offered during the Fall and Spring semester, as well as during the Winter and Summer sessions.
Students Become Accomplished In:
- Investigative photographic techniques
- Interview and interrogations skills
- Latent print development
- Processing and packaging of evidence
- Crime scene investigation techniques
- Managing and successfully completing homicide investigations
Taking a look at the course descriptions will give you a feel for what you will be learning as you work towards your degree.
Our faculty and staff are seasoned professionals and belong to organizations such as:
- IAI - International Association for Identification
- IACP — International Association of Police
- INEOA — International Narcotic Officers Association
- American Criminal Justice Association — Beta Psi Delta
- Military Police Regimental Association
- Alpha Phi Sigma, National Criminal Justice Honor's Society, Omega Upsilon
- New York State Criminal Justice Educators Association
- International Association for Identification (IAI)
Interesting Web Links
- Federal Corrections
- New York State Police
- Division of Criminal Justice System – New York
- American Academy of Forensic Sciences