Dental Hygiene Admission Requirements
Admission is selective and based on academic performance. The deadline for applications is February 1 for the class entering the following fall. The selection committee will review and rank qualified applicants beginning in early February.
- A high school diploma or its equivalent.
- A minimum grade of 75 in Regents-level chemistry, geometry/Math A plus one year; or a C or better grade in equivalent college level courses. (Refer to the table of high school course prerequisites for admission).
- A minimum C grade in Human Anatomy & Physiology I at the college level.
- Overall GPA of 2.75 or higher.
- Completion of the mandatory interview as part of the application process.
- Completion of the SUNY Canton application.
Pathway to the AAS in Dental Hygiene for Students Entering Straight from High School
Students entering college for the first time who have successfully completed 2 units of math and received a >75 on the Biology and Chemistry regents are encouraged to apply to the Dental Hygiene Select program. This 1 year program is designed to prepare students coming straight from high school for the AAS program. Students earning a 3.0 GPA or higher in the Select program are automatically reserved a seat in the AAS program the following year.
Admission Requirements for a Student Transferring from Another Dental Hygiene School
- An individual seeking to transfer with advanced standing must meet the same pre-requisites as others admitted into the program.
- Credit for courses taken at another CODA accredited dental hygiene school will be reviewed on an individual basis. To initiate this review process, the transferring student must submit a transcript and a copy of the course syllabus for each course being considered. The syllabus must include a course description, a list of the topics covered in that course as well as a list of the course requirements. The Dean of the School of Science, Health and Criminal Justice in consultation with the program director will conduct the evaluation. Dental Hygiene credits transferred into the program must be no more than 3 years old.
- Students transferring into this program must complete a minimum of DHYG 250/251: Clinical Dental Hygiene II Lecture and Clinic as well as DHYG 270: Clinical Dental Hygiene III with a C grade or higher to graduate from the SUNY Canton program.
- Must provide proof of current CPR/AED certification and liability insurance.