Health and Fitness Promotion - B. Tech
Job opportunities in the health and fitness industries are rapidly growing. SUNY Canton’s Health and Fitness Promotion program prepares students for business ownership or management positions in the health and fitness field as well as health-related advanced degree programs.
This program offers a wide range of opportunities for students looking to pursue employment in areas that promote health and wellness for the community, recreation facilities and athletic teams.
Graduates of this program also have the option to pursue advanced degree programs such as Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT), Master’s of Athletic Training, and other master’s degree programs in Exercise Science or Human Movement studies.
The health and fitness business track provides students with the knowledge and fundamentals necessary for successful business ownership or a wide range of management positions in both the private or public sector.
Pursue Graduate Degrees
The science track is intended for those students who wish to pursue graduate education. The science track will provide students with the necessary prerequisite coursework they need to apply to a graduate program.
“The benefits of good health and exercise have become increasingly prevalent and integrated into our society. Fitness is no longer reserved for elite athletes. It is equally important for all members of society as a means of disease prevention and longevity.”
- Diane Para, Health and Fitness Promotion Instructor
Health and Fitness Promotion Program Strengths:
- Provide students with a strong foundational science background
- Students will be prepared for graduate studies
- Advance students’ understanding of the principles of health and fitness promotion
- Gain a solid background in fundamental business and management principles
- Develop leadership styles to use in business ownership or management positions
- Obtain the knowledge and skills necessary to evaluate, develop, and implement sound programs that promote health and fitness as a means of disease and injury prevention
- Students will gain the necessary tools to effectively meet the health and fitness needs of various populations
- Provide students with experiences that will allow them to serve as role models and advocates of fitness and healthy lifestyles
- Personal Trainer
- Fitness Coach
- Fitness Coordinator
- Exercise Specialist
- Fitness Specialist
- Fitness Instructor
- Strength and Conditioning Specialist
- Strength Coach
- Wellness Coach
This program is a natural progression for physical therapy assistant and alumni who have already received their associate degree. The Health and Fitness Promotion degree program, as a 2 + 2 program, serves to provide advanced education in the area of health and fitness for students who have completed an associate's degree with a science and health emphasis.
Janet Parcell-Mitchell, Ph. D
Wicks Hall 211E