Practical Nursing - Student Learning Outcomes
A graduate of the Practical Nursing Certificate program will be able to:
- Student will demonstrate appropriate care to clients with stable and predictable conditions.
- Student will understand client disorders and nursing care utilizing current evidence based practice.
- Student will demonstrate developmentally appropriate, respectful and effective therapeutic communication skills.
- Student will identify clinical scenarios and situations that fall outside of the PN scope of practice.
- Student will demonstrate, proper technique with nursing skills, use of client care equipment and technology in a cost effective manner.
- Student will comprehend client environmental factors, family support, and resources that may affect a client’s health status.
- Student will demonstrate accountability for legal, ethical, and regulatory parameters within the scope of practice of the practical nurse.
- Student will operate effectively within multidisciplinary teams, fostering open communication, mutual respect, and shared decision-making to provide comprehensive client centered care.
- Student will collect data and health histories for individuals using standardized tools in an organized pattern, thereby contributing to nursing care plan.
- Student will demonstrate caring behaviors toward clients and his/her significant others, thereby assisting coping with stressful events and changes in health status.
- Student will implement standardized teaching tools to promote and maintain health and to reduce risks for clients experiencing common altered health states in the hospital and extended care facilities.
- Student will observe, reflect, and participate in self-performance and peer-to-peer teaching.
Christine Thompson MSN, RN
PN Curriculum Coordinator
Cook Hall 202