Sports Management - BBA
- Leadership for sport professionals
- Sports finance
- Sport in society
- Legal issues in sport
- Event management
- Operations and facilities management
- Sports media
- Public relations, communications and marketing
Jeff Lake '11 (Pictured left)
Internship with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The SUNY Canton BBA in Sports Management prepares individuals for professional careers within sport organizations, such as non-profit companies, commercial and private enterprises, government/public sector jobs, and various levels of professional sports.
The sports industry has evolved and changed over the years, and so has the study of Sport Management. The SUNY Canton BBA in Sport Management will develop capable sport management professionals able to apply creative communication, leadership, and managerial skills in an array of positions in the sport industry. These positions can include:
- Sports Administration
- Public Relations
- Information and Media
- Event Management
John Payne '12
internship with the AHL's Manchester Monarchs
Manchester, New Hampshire
- An academically credential faculty with over 40 years of direct experience in sports administration, sports media and relations, sports event management and promotions, sports business, and coaching.
- Exciting array of sport management courses that offer students experiential learning opportunities and hands-on application.
- An area rich in sports venues and organizations from Division I – Division III athletic programs within 10 miles, a professional sport franchise (Ottawa Senators) just 50 minutes away, minor league organizations within 60 minutes and the Lake Placid Olympic Training Center located just 83 miles away. Plus, numerous recreational sport venues and businesses located throughout the Adirondack region. All of which provide ample opportunity for class field trips and exposure to different sport organizations and sport professionals.
- Flexible capstone opportunities from semester long internships to hands on, applied senior courses and projects. The program also offers various culminating experience options that include applied senior level courses and/or senior research project and/or semester internship.
Students in Sports Operations & Facilities Management review design plans for the college’s
new athletic facility. Jim Hurd from Architectural Resources speaks to the class about the design of the $40 million structure.
Students will be prepared for the wide range of opportunities within the sports industry and be ready to begin an exciting career armed with the skills, knowledge, hands-on experience, and confidence for a successful transition.
This program prepares students who wish to pursue an advanced degree such as Master's in Sport Management, Athletic Administration, or an MBA.
WHAT INTERN HOSTS ARE SAYING ABOUT SUNY CANTON SPORTS MANAGEMENT STUDENTS….
“It was a pleasure to have Jessica intern with us this summer. She is a dedicated worker who possesses the ability to perform her tasks at a high level.”
Assistant General Manager
“Evan earned a spot in our intern hall of fame. Please send more like him!”
Director of Marketing and Sponsorship USA Luge
“Sean was a true pleasure to work with and will be coming onto our staff full time as a new hire, which speaks volumes about his performance. Please keep us in mind for future internship possibilities.”
Bill Gray’s Regional Iceplex
WHAT PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS AND PARENTS ARE SAYING AFTER THEY VISIT…
"Finally, and possibly most important was our time with Dr. Para discussing the Sports Management Degree Program! She is amazing; my Father who is a very good judge of character would not stop talking about how impressed he was with Dr Para. This was much different from the Colleges we had previously visited."
Prospective Student – Spring 2012
"My son really likes his Sports Management Professor. She was very friendly and open about what she expects from her students. She had an enormous amount of energy when talking with the potential students about the sports management business field. I almost wanted to take sports management!"
Parent of Prospective Student – Spring 2012
WHAT PROFESSIONAL PARTNERS ARE SAYING ABOUT SUNY CANTON SPMT STUDENTS….
"What a week! We had an incredible tournament, with so much going right. I must say the young men who were present did an outstanding job. We had several compliments from people at Penn State Fayette and from our Executive Director on the job that they did. The most impressive part was the limited supervision they needed—when they were asked to do a job, they didn’t need to be asked again, and on several occasions, didn’t need to be asked at all.
I commend them for the outstanding job they did, and we certainly hope they enjoyed their time working with us. It is a major stress reliever when you have people working with you who are more than capable and don’t need to be micromanaged. They were respectful, professional, and proactive. We couldn’t have asked for better help, and I will be pushing for a continued partnership with your program."
Director of Championships
United States Collegiate Athletic Association