Veterinary Technology - BS
SUNY Canton is one of 20 colleges in the nation to offer this exclusive program. The new four-year degree compliments and builds off of the College's veterinary science technology associate degree program.
SUNY Canton's Veterinary Technology program will educate quality graduates who can immediately start working in the veterinary healthcare field. Careers for graduates are expected to grow nearly 40 percent in the next decade, according the U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics.
“This degree provides students with advanced technical training and tools needed to succeed in supervisory or managerial roles. Graduates of the four-year program will also be able to pursue other advanced degree programs upon completion of the degree."
-Dr. Mary O’Horo Loomis, D.V.M., and Program Director
- Gives students a strong foundational science background coupled with communication and critical thinking skills
- Offers a strong educational foundation for students graduating in biology, veterinary medicine or related fields
- Supplies students with knowledge and skills beyond that of an entry level technician in advanced nursing skills, business organization and management and current issues in veterinary science
The program will expand a student's education in veterinary science, physical sciences, public health issues and occupational safety. The program offers the potential for students to take the courses required for entrance into most veterinary colleges.
- Veterinary Technologist
- Veterinary Technician
- Work within a private clinical practice
- Research in biomedical facilities, diagnostic laboratories, wildlife facilities, drug and food manufacturing companies, and food safety inspection facilities
- Aquarist or zookeeper
- Technicians and technologists are needed in animal clinics and hospitals, shelters, boarding kennels, animal control facilities, and humane societies
Mary O'Horo Loomis
Newell Vet Tech Center 101A
34 Cornell Drive
Canton, NY 13617