Veterinary Service Administration - Program Description
The Bachelor of Technology in Veterinary Services Management constitutes the final two years of a 2+2 articulation program in which the first two years entail completion of a degree in Veterinary Technology from an accredited program. Information on SUNY Canton’s Veterinary Technology program may be accessed here.
This degree serves to provide the knowledge and skills necessary to manage a business or organization that provides veterinary care to animals. Emphasis is placed upon establishing a foundation in basic Business and Accounting principles, then applying these principles to the management of specific types of veterinary businesses and institutions. Students will complete an internship concentrating on management and administration within a veterinary setting. This program may be completed partially or entirely online.
Students in this Major:
- Begin by laying a foundation in Business, Accounting, Math, and Liberal Arts.
- Build upon this foundation with coursework specific to veterinary management.
- Are prepared for entry-level management positions in veterinary hospitals or other animal-related businesses.
- Will spend a semester in the field as an intern in a managerial capacity.
- Will complete the course work required for certified Veterinary Practice Manager (CVPM) certification.
- Veterinary Practice Management
- Biomedical Research Facility Management
- Diagnostic Laboratory Management
- Animal Shelter Management
- Mobile and Spay/Neuter Clinic Management
- Zoo and Wildlife Management
- Public Sector employment
The following requirements pertain to admission into the Junior year of the program. Requirements for the first year of the Veterinary Science Technology program may be found here. For admission into the Junior year of the program:
- Graduation from an AVMA accredited veterinary technology program. Information on SUNY Canton’s Veterinary Technology program may be accessed here.
- Veterinary Technician licensure, registration, or certification, as applicable for state of residency, or eligibility thereof.
PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS (Curriculum 2535)
Semester V Credits
|ACCT 101||Foundations of Financial Accounting||4|
|BSAD 201||Business Law I||3|
|BSAD 340||Management Communications||3|
|Liberal Arts Elective (GER)||3|
Semester VI Credits
|BSAD 215||Small Business Management||3|
|BSAD 310||Human Resource Management||3|
|HLTH 303||Occupational Health and Safety||3|
|VSAD 301||Veterinary Practice Management||3|
|U/L Liberal Arts Elective||3|
Semester VII Credits
|BSAD 301||Principles of Management||3|
|HSMB 301||Public Health Issues||3|
|VSAD 302||Animal Care Institution Management||3|
|VSAD 308||Veterinary Service Administration Internship Orientation||1|
|VSAD 402||Veterinary Business and Financial Management||3|
|U/L Liberal Arts Elective (GER)||3|
Semester VIII Credits
|VSAD 408||Internship for Veterinary Service Administration||12|
|Upper Level General Elective||3|
* Math Elective: MATH 111, 121, 123, 141, or 161
# Fulfills writing intensive requirement.
U/L= Upper Level Courses (300/400)
GER= General Education Requirement
NOTE: Veterinary Services Management students must meet seven of the ten General Education Requirements and successfully complete the SUNY Canton Computer Competency requirement.
Review the Index of Course Descriptions
Newell Vet Tech Center 101A
34 Cornell Drive
Canton, NY 13617