Eco-Reps Program at SUNY Canton
The Office of Sustainability is partnering with Residence Life to incorporate sustainability education and action into the residence halls on SUNY Canton’s campus. The Eco-Representative (Eco-Rep) program fosters environmental responsibility by training student leaders to incorporate sustainable practices into the campus culture and built environment. The Eco-Rep program gives students the opportunity to make a positive difference where they live and learn.
The Eco-Reps are a group of residential students who help to raise awareness about ecological issues, encourage environmentally responsible behavior among their peers, and plan related events and activities both in the residence halls and at various campus events. Eco-Reps must attend a training day as well as weekly meetings. At the meetings students will brainstorm new topics, activities, and project ideas to carry out in the residence halls over the following weeks.
This position will be a commitment of about 2-4 hours a week, in addition to a mandatory weekly meeting. Besides the meetings, much of your work will be done independently, on your own schedule. You will participate in small groups to work on specific projects. Position responsibilities begin on the first day of classes and conclude during finals week. You will be expected to work 2 hours during the two weeks of finals period.
What We Do
- Create behavior change campaigns.
- Conduct audits of the trash and recycling bins in buildings.
- Develop messages and engage with students on sustainability issues.
- Conduct energy audits of light bulbs and appliances in residence halls.
- Write articles about eco-topics for the Canton’s website.
- Set up and maintain eco-bulletin boards in residence halls.
- Attend weekly meetings to plan activities and provide feedback to the Sustainability Coordinator.
- Set up and staff environmental information booths and exhibits at campus events.
Topics We Address
- Zero-sort Recycling & Solid Waste
- Reuse Strategies
- Energy Conservation
- Local Food
- Water Conservation
Any residential student is eligible to apply.
34 Cornell Drive
Canton, NY 13617