SUNY Canton College Opening COVID-19 Testing Details
Please note: Residential students are required to be tested and must sign up for a testing slot using the form below. Commuter students and online students planning to use campus services may sign up for a time slot if you want to be tested on campus. If you are a fully online student who does not plan to access campus for services or are a commuter student who is intending to be tested by your local provider (with proof of negative test result dated 8/17 or more current provided to the Davis Health Center at email@example.com), you may disregard the following information. This only pertains to on-campus testing.
Please follow the instructions below carefully, as each detail is important and if you miss any information you may not be able to be tested on your scheduled date (which means you would have to continue to quarantine or may not be permitted on campus until you have been tested). If you have questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org anytime.
Testing will be offered during the dates listed below the sign-up link– all testing will be from 11:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. at Roos House (our athletic facility) You must sign up in advance for a time slot. We are not offering weekend testing, so you must sign up for a weekday timeslot to be tested.
- Monday, August 24 through Friday, August 28
- Monday, August 31: THIS IS THE FINAL DAY TESTING WILL BE OFFERED; this date is only for residential students who move in on 8/28 (after 4:00 p.m.), 8/29 or 8/30
- If you plan to arrive to campus after August 31, you will need to be tested at home and provide a copy of your negative test result to email@example.com.
- The testing will be completed by a mouth swab test called “pooled saliva testing.” This is NOT the nasal cavity (“up the nose”) test.
- The test itself is very simple and non-invasive. Check out this video that shows the exact testing method we are using!
- Results are anticipated back to the campus around 48 hours after the day you are tested.
- Please note: ONLY the student being tested is permitted to enter Roos House (the testing site). Due to density reduction in the testing area, we cannot permit families/guests to come inside the building with their student.
BEFORE THE TEST, you will be required to do a few important things:
- You must go to this link to set up your account at least one day before you are to be tested. You are not required to use your SUNY Canton email address for this account. When it asks you if you have a test kit, just stop there and close the browser. When you get to the campus testing site, it will ask you all the symptom questions again and will provide the screen where you scan your test tube.
- You must not eat/drink, chew gum/mints, use mouthwash, or brush your teeth for three hours before the test and may not smoke, vape, or use any kind of tobacco or smokeless tobacco products (including dip/chew) within 30 minutes of arriving to the testing site.
- If you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, we ask that you stay at your home and contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further instruction. We cannot test COVID-symptomatic students.
- If you have tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 12 weeks, please provide a copy of the test result to email@example.com and do not come to the campus testing site. The Health Center will communicate with you about your plan. Rest assured, this will NOT affect your ability to move into the residence halls or return to campus.
AFTER THE TEST:
- You will be required to quarantine until the College notifies you that you are cleared. This means that you should only leave your room/house/apartment to retrieve food, use the restroom (with mask on), and if absolutely necessary, go to work (following masking and social distancing protocols). During this time, you may not visit friends or campus offices.
- You will be notified via your SUNY Canton email that you have been cleared.
- From that day forward, you will be required to do a daily health screening using the Medicat Portal- please keep an eye on your SUNY Canton email for forthcoming information on this.
Again, if you have any questions, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I would be happy to help! We look forward to seeing you back on campus soon!