SUNY Canton Receives U.S. News Best Colleges and Other Rankings
SUNY Canton has earned a spot in the annual U.S. News & World Report’s Best Colleges publication.
The college was ranked 26thamong its peer institutions in the “Regional Colleges – North” Division for 2019. The ranking was released Monday, Sept. 10 and is based on graduation and retention rates, assessment of academic standing, faculty resources, student selectivity, financial resources, graduation rate, alumni giving, and other statistics.
“We are proud of our continued growth at SUNY Canton,” said SUNY Canton Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs Douglas M. Scheidt. “In addition to our outstanding career driven programs, we’ve been making concerted efforts to increase our retention and graduation rates, and we’re exceeding expectations in those indicators of college success.”
Scheidt indicated that faculty engagement with students and additional resources, including the college’s textbook loan program and unique coursework options, have helped students continue their education. The college also boasts an impressive placement rate with nearly 90 percent of graduates continuing their education or starting a career in their chosen field, according to graduate survey results.
Over the past year, the college added several four-year degrees that will allow graduates to enter expanding, high-paying fields, including programs in Cybersecurity, Technological Communications, and Mechatronics Technology. These areas are in perfect alignment with an economy that demands a work force equipped with robust STEM skills. SUNY Canton also unveiled a bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Care and Management, to help address the need for high-quality early childhood education options in New York.
In addition to adding educational options, the college is also emphasizing cocurricular skills in leadership and cultural competency, which will help students earn distinctions outside of their traditional coursework.
Earlier this year, SUNY Canton received a U.S. News ranking recognizing its online programs. The college was tied for the number 88 position with five other colleges out of more than 350 institutions from across the united states. About 25 percent of the college’s enrollment is entirely online and almost every single student takes an online class over the course of their education. There are currently 16 fully online academic programs available and off-term Summer and Winterterm courses.
In addition to U.S. News and World Report, the college has recently received the following rankings:
- SUNY Canton was ranked second in the Best Online Colleges in New York by OnlineColleges.com. Stony Brook University claimed the number one position.
- The college received an eighth place in The Best Online Colleges in New York for 2018 ranking from TheBestSchools.org.
- Similarly, Best Colleges.com ranked SUNY Canton’s Online programs in its Best Online Colleges in New York
- The Best Schools also ranked SUNY Canton’s Bachelor of Science in Emergency Management in the The Best Online Bachelor’s in Emergency Management Programs category, the Legal Studies program was named in The 20 Best Online Paralegal Bachelor’s Programs, and the Homeland Security program appeared in a list of The 40 Best Online Bachelor’s in Homeland Security Programs.
- The online Finance program was identified as seventh in Great Value Colleges’ 30 Most Affordable Online Bachelor’s in Finance 2018.
- The entire college came in 277thout of 1,717 universities evaluated for CareerTrend.com’s list of The Hardest Working Colleges in America.
- SR Education group designated SUNY Canton as a 2018 Disability-Friendly Online Collegeand also placed the college in OnlineU’s 2018 Most Affordable Online Colleges for Students with Disabilities list.
The organizations use formulas that evaluate program accreditation status, in-state tuition and fees, financial aid statistics, student-to-teacher ratio and other statistics to determine individual scores.
As Northern New York's premier college for career-driven bachelor's degrees, associate degrees and professional certificate programs, SUNY Canton delivers quality hands-on programs in digital design, engineering technology, health, management and public service. Faculty members are noted for their professional real-world experience in addition to outstanding academic credentials. As SUNY's leader in online education, SUNY Canton OnLine offers hundreds of flexible and convenient courses as well as 22 online degree programs. The college placed first in 14 categories in a SUNY-Wide Student Opinion Survey, most notably in career services, tutoring, library resources, and classroom facilities. The SUNY Canton Kangaroos 15 traditional athletic teams compete at the NCAA Division III level as part of the North Atlantic Conference. SUNY Canton also features varsity esports and cheerleading.