The College received two 4-passenger GEM cars and two 2-passenger GEM (Global Electric Motorcars) cars on June 26, 2003, as part of a program to eliminate emissions at 26 State University of New York campuses thanks to a partnership between the New York Power Authority and DaimlerChrysler. The cars can be used on roads or turf with speed limits as high as 25 mph. The cars will travel approximately 30 miles before needing to be recharged.
Additional information on GEM cars can be found at GEM website.
Gem Car Policy
- The T-1 is not required to reserve a GEM car. Please call the Physical Plant office during regular business hours to reserve a GEM car.
- You must be LENS (License Event Notification Service) approved in order to drive a GEM car.
- You must receive training on the use of the GEM cars prior to your initial use of the cars.
- Contact the Physical Plant for training.
- Always remove the keys and keep them with you when the car is not in use.
- When finished with the car, you must return the car to the designated area and return the keys to the Physical Plant office.
- After use, plug the car in to recharge it.
- GEM cars are NOT to leave the campus.
Cooper Service Complex
34 Cornell Drive
Canton, NY 13617