Home > Residence Life > Housing Release

Housing Release

At SUNY Canton, all full-time students are required to live on-campus unless they are released by the Director of Residence Life from the Mandatory Housing Policy.

The following are exemptions from the mandatory housing policy:

  • If you are married or will be married before the start of the semester.
  • If you are a single parent
  • If you will be living with a parent/guardian
  • If you will be residing in college-approved Greek Housing
  • If you will be a part-time student (enrolled in less than 12 credit hours)
  • If you are a Junior or Senior enrolled in a Bachelor’s Degree program with at least 60 earned credit hours
  • If you are taking only online classes - Please note: if you are less than 21 years old, you must live 60+ miles from Canton and you must not be utilizing any on-campus resources (such as, using in-person tutoring, participating in athletics, or participating in Greek Life) to be released from housing as an online-only student.
  • If you are at least 21 years of age or older

You will need to write an explanation for any other reason, and provide documentation if you are claiming financial hardship or another extenuating circumstance.

Even if you meet one of these exemptions, you still must fill out a Housing Release Request Application. These can be found linked below, outside the Residence Life Office in Mohawk Hall, and on UCanWeb using the “off-campus housing form.”

After you sign a Housing License, you are bound by it for an academic year. This means that if you want to move off campus after you sign the Housing License, you must fill out a "Request for Release From Housing License.” If you are released from the housing license, you will be charged a $250.00 fee that will be applied to your account at the One Hop Shop. This means that you will not be automatically released for the above reasons once you sign a housing license, as it is a binding agreement. Your release will be considered by the Director of Residence Life, and you will be notified as to the decision.

For further questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Housing Forms

Residence Life
Mohawk Hall
SUNY Canton
34 Cornell Drive
Canton, New York 13617

Phone: 315-386-7513
Fax: 315-386-7969

Regular Hours:
M - F: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm

YouTube Facebook