100% Online - This SUNY Canton degree can be earned entirely online.
Home > Science > Vet Service
Veterinary Service Administration - B.B.A.
Veterinary Admin Careers
- Animal shelter management
- Herd health management
- Zoo management
- Veterinary hospital management
- Research facility management
- Diagnostic laboratory management
Three aspects that differentiate this program from others:
- The final two years of coursework can be completed entirely online.
- It progresses from the two-year Veterinary Science Technology degree offered right here at SUNY Canton.
- At the culmination of the program, there is a semester-long internship which is completed onsite at a veterinary facility of the student’s choosing, with online guidance from a Veterinary Service Administration instructor.
The hands-on aspect of this program consists of a 12-week internship in a practice management setting at the culmination of the program. There is also a significant amount of hands-on training in the first two years of this four-year program.
Alysia Maynard '08 & '10
Executive Director of the Potsdam Humane Society.
- Veterinary Technician has been listed as one of Money Magazine’s “Top 10 Fastest Growing Career Fields.” Coupling this training with a baccalaureate degree focusing on veterinary business management increases its value, enhancing the earning potential of graduates.
- Veterinary hospitals and other animal care facilities seek managers with not only a working knowledge of the medical and technical aspects of veterinary medicine, but also an understanding of the operational structure of animal care facilities and the ability to oversee the personnel, information, finances, infrastructure, equipment, and other integral components of the operation of these facilities.
- With fewer, larger veterinary facilities becoming the norm, there is greater stratification of duties within these facilities, and greater demand for full-time managers and Technician/Managers.
Graduates of this program fulfill the educational requirements for certification as a Certified Veterinary Practice Manager.
Interesting Links & Related Organizations
Sophia C. Theodore, D.V.M.,
- Small animal practitioner
- 2001 graduate of the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine
- Teaches all core Veterinary Service Administration courses within the program
- Coordinates internship for Veterinary Service Administration
- Special interests: Practice management, shelter medicine, small animal population control, preventive medicine