What is "NetID"?
NetID formalizes what has been known generically as an individual’s “computer username” or “network account”. It is the username/password credentials used to login to a growing list of services:
- Campus computers [faculty, staff and students]
- Microsoft Office 365 [faculty, staff and student email]
- SUNY web-based services [employee portal, DegreeWorks, etc.]
- Library resources from off-campus
- SUNY Canton secured wireless network
- Barracuda spam quarantine
*NOTE* whereas the NetID and ANGEL login credentials are initially the same, they are not currently linked. Changing the password for one will not change it for the other.
- Never give out passwords. Emails requesting/demanding a reply with your username and password, are phishing emails sent with the intent to steal user login credentials.
- Is set with an initial default password at the time an account is created. http://www.canton.edu/IT/get_help.html#FAQ
- It is strongly recommended passwords are changed often and are complex in nature. See the following Microsoft website for advice on creating strong passwords: http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/passwords-create.aspx
- You can change your Angel password by logging into Angel (https://canton.sln.suny.edu), clicking on Preferences > Change Password.
NetID password management
To change your NetID password, you can...
- Login to a campus computer and press CTRL-ALT-DEL and select Change a password.
- From a web browser, go to our NetID Password Management website, https://password.canton.edu, and login. You will be presented with an option to change your current password.
You will also have the option to register your account for self-service password reset, in case you forget your password in the future. You can register with any of three options:
- Security questions. Choose your questions and answers carefully. Do not choose ones in which the answers can be easily discovered.
- Verification code sent by SMS. When you register your mobile phone number, you need to include your area code preceded by the country code (1 for the US). So for the 315 area code, you would enter 1315#######.
- Google Authenticator. Mobile apps are available for Apple iPhones and Android phones.
If you have forgotten your password and have registered with the self-service option, you can reset your password from the NetID Password Management website.
If you have not registered, are having issues with resetting your password, or are continuing to experience login issues, you may contact the Help Desk at 315-386-7448.
34 Cornell Drive
Canton, NY 13617
Help Desk Hours:
Monday-Thursday: 8 am – 5 pm
Friday: 8 am – 4:30 pm
New York Time (GMT -5)