What is "NetID"?
NetID formalizes what has been known generically as an individual’s “computer username” or “network account”. It is the username/password credentials used to login to a growing list of services:
- campus computers [faculty, staff and students]
- Microsoft Exchange [faculty and staff email]
- Microsoft Office 365 [student email]
- SUNY web-based services [employee portal, DegreeWorks, etc.]
- Library resources from off-campus
- SUNY Canton secured wireless network
- Barracuda spam quarantine
*NOTE* whereas the NetID and Angel login credentials are initially the same, they are not currently linked. Changing the password for one will not change it for the other. The same applies for the Icewarp student email, however Microsoft’s Office 365 is replacing Icewarp on August 11th, 2013. You will use your NetID to login to Office 365.
- Never give out passwords. Emails requesting/demanding a reply with your username and password, are phishing emails sent with the intent to steal user login credentials.
- Is set with an initial default password at the time an account is created. http://www.canton.edu/IT/get_help.html#FAQ
- It is strongly recommended passwords are changed often and are complex in nature. See the following Microsoft website for advice on creating strong passwords: http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/passwords-create.aspx
- The NetID password can be changed from a campus computer at the Ctrl-Alt-Del screen. Faculty and staff who have a Microsoft Exchange account can also change passwords from within Outlook Web Access (https://webmail.canton.edu - login and then Options > Change Password. If you need to have your password reset, please contact the Help Desk at 315-386-7448. We anticipate deploying self-service options for changing and resetting passwords in the near future, stay tuned.
- You can change your Angel password by logging into Angel (https://canton.sln.suny.edu), clicking on Preferences > Change Password.
34 Cornell Drive
Canton, NY 13617
Help Desk Hours:
Monday-Thursday: 8 am – 5 pm
Friday: 8 am – 4:30 pm
New York Time (GMT -5)