Home > Wellness
Schedule a Program
Health education programming is provided for student groups, classes and as campus-wide events. Programs are tailored to each group and cover a variety of health topics.
To schedule a program contact: Farren Lobdell at: email@example.com.
- Alcohol Prevention
- Green Dot (Bystander Intervention Training)
- Sexual Health
- Substance use
- LGBTQ Sexual Health
- Healthy Relationships
- Davis Health Center Overview
The Counseling Center also provides health education programming. List of Counseling Center programs.
What is toxic drinking?
Toxic drinking is an epidemic on campuses all across America. It means consuming so much alcohol the drinker passes out. But while "sleeping it off," the victim may be quietly dying. When you come right down to it, it's a problem that only students can tackle. The Red Watch Band movement is designed to end alcohol overdose deaths by teaching students how to handle alcohol emergencies and summon professional help.
Every Second Counts
The mission of the Red Watch Band is to provide campus community members with the knowledge, awareness, and skills to prevent student toxic drinking deaths and to promote a student culture of kindness, responsibility, compassion, and respect.
Quitting tobacco can be a challenge. The Davis Health Center is here to help you quit.
- Support, information and the tools to quit tobacco
- Individualized appointments with a Tobacco Cessation Specialist
- FREE Nicotine Replacement products available (Patch, Gum, Lozenges)
- Cessation education and assistance based on your needs
- Group sessions are available upon request
To schedule an appointment or for questions call the Davis Health Center at (315) 386-7333.
- Guide to Quitting Smoking
- Apps for Quitting
- New York State Smokers' Quitline
- Smokefree Women
- Employee Assistance Program
Tobacco Education Links
In order to provide a healthy working and learning environment for the campus community, SUNY Canton became a Tobacco-Restricted Campus on January 1, 2014. Designated tobacco-use areas on campus were reduced and the campus plaza, parking lots and other areas declared tobacco-free.
Tobacco use is only allowed in the following areas:
- Heritage, Smith, Rushton, and Mohawk Gazebos
- Kennedy Hall Picnic Area
Tobacco use is no longer allowed in the following areas:
- Wicks and Nevaldine Gazebos
- College sidewalks, the campus plaza, building entrances and common areas, landscape areas, recreational areas, parking lots, and campus buildings on College property
- Interior of all buildings located on the College property and vehicles owned or operated by SUNY Canton and personally owned and rented vehicles when used to transport SUNY Canton faculty, staff, or students on any college‐related business, academic, or student life activities.
- Residence hall facilities; smoking or the carrying of lighted cigars, cigarettes, pipes or any other form of smoking object is prohibited in all areas of the residence halls including hallways, bathrooms, lounges, laundry rooms, offices, and vestibules.
- Within 50 feet of any building entrance or exit, including immediate vicinity of all windows and air intakes.
- Covered walkways or building over hangs.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
- Smoking Cessation for Students, Faculty and Staff
- Talking Points
- Complete Tobacco-Free Policy
- Tobacco Free SUNY
- Tobacco Referral Form
- Lose it! Whether you want to lose 10lbs or 100lbs, all Lose It! members share one goal: lose the weight and keep it off.
- My Fitness Pal Track your health from anywhere, anytime.
Information about incorporating healthy meals into your daily life:
- Nutrition Basics
- Healthy For Good: American Heart Association program to inspire you to create lasting change in your health and your life, one small step at a time. The approach is simple: Eat smart. Add color. Move more. Be well.
- My Plate!: My plate has replaced the food pyramid. Before you eat, check out my plate to learn how to create a healthy meal anywhere.
- Nutrition on a budget
- Nutrition for the whole family
- Healthy Mondays
- Meatless Mondays
A regular fitness routine is essential to a healthy lifestyle. Exercise can improve your mood, energy, sleep, weight and reduce your stress. The Fitness Center and Pool is available for student use at no charge or take a walk/jog on campus (campus walking routes) or in the community (village of canton walking routes).
As a team of health care professionals, the Davis Health Center is dedicated to providing culturally competent medical care, educational programs and student advocacy which will enhance a student's wellbeing and empower them to become a well-informed consumer of health care during their lifetime.
Contraceptive services and STD testing are available through the Davis Health Center.
Free safe sex supplies:
- Free male/external, female/internal condoms, dental dams, finger cots and lubricant are available at the Davis Health Center (CC004), Wellness Promotions office (CC134), Counseling Center (CC 225) and RA offices in each residence hall.
- Safe Sex to Go Kits are available two weeks prior to campus breaks at the Wellness Promotions office (CC134).
- Safe Sex supplies for online students or during breaks are available at your local Planned Parenthood. Find your local Planned Parenthood.
- Spot on! The only period tracker that lets you track both your period and any birth control method that affects it, including the pill, patch, ring, implant, shot, and IUD.
- Get the Facts on Sexual Health from Planned Parenthood
- Bedsider.org: an online birth control support network for women 18-29 operated by
- The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, a private non-profit organization.
As a team of health care professionals, the Davis Health Center is dedicated to providing culturally competent medical care, educational programs and student advocacy which will enhance a student's wellbeing and empower them to become a well-informed consumer of health care during their lifetime. To schedule an appointment call: 315-386-7333.
The Counseling Center works to promote a safe and positive atmosphere on campus. Our goal is to create an environment which is conducive to learning and developing a healthy lifestyle. The Counseling Center is designed to provide short term, brief counseling. To schedule an appointment call: (315) 386-7314 or stop in the office in Miller Campus Center 225.
The Office of Diversity Affairs operates in partnership with the College to promote, support, and integrates diversity initiatives to enhance our students’ education.
LGBTQ Career Resources: The Career Services Office provides a collection of services that aid students and alumni in selecting and securing rewarding careers.
Sleep is an essential piece of college health. Lack of sleep can lead to poor academic performance, moodiness and loss of productivity. Practicing sleep hygiene is the key to a good night’s rest. Sleep hygiene includes: having a comfortable sleep environment, a bedtime routine and eliminating distractions such as your phone. If you’re struggling with a good night’s rest, we’re here to help. Schedule an appointment at the Davis Health Center or Counseling Center.
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is important for everyone, regardless if you learn in a classroom or in your living room. In addition to the information in the sections above we’ve compiled some tips for online learners to stay well and engaged in a healthy lifestyle.
Information/resources for students who are also parents
- Nutrition for Families
- Healthy Eating for Preschoolers
- WIC in St. Lawrence and Franklin Counties
- WIC in Jefferson and Lewis Counties
Time Management For Your Health – Coming soon!
Stress Reduction for Online Students - Coming soon!
Ask the Nurse: Get a personalized response to your health questions. NOTE: This is only available to SUNY Canton students.
Sign-up for weekly health tips and information!
Health education is held across campus every week. Sign-up to receive the information from these programs in your email each week. Email Farren Lobdell at firstname.lastname@example.org from your SUNY Canton email address to sign-up. Open to current online students only.
Bras Across Campus
We are looking for an online student to serve on the Bras Across Campus Planning Committee for the Fall 2017 semester. Bras Across Campus is breast cancer prevention event which will be held on October 26th. For more information see the Bras Across Campus section below or contact Farren Lobdell at email@example.com.
Bras Across Campus is an interactive fundraising event created by the Feel Your Boobies Foundation. Breast cancer DOES occur in young women, and knowing your body is the first step to early detection. The goals of Bras Across Campus are to raise funds for the Feel Your Boobies Foundation to grow their College Outreach Program and to increase student engagement with the ‘feel your boobies’ message through a fun, interactive event.
BRA DONATIONS NEEDED: As part of Bras Across Campus, we will be collecting new and gently used bras to be donated locally. Bras may be dropped off in the Campus Center 134 until October 25th.
Bras Across Campus @ SUNY Canton
October 26, 2017
Registration coming soon!
Farren C. Lobdell, NCC
Health Educator/Wellness Coordinator CC 134
34 Cornell Drive
Canton, NY 13617