Home > Wellness
Wellness Promotions provides educational programs designed to enhance students’ well-being and empower them to become well-informed consumers of healthcare in their lifetime.
- Guide to Quitting Smoking
- New York State Smokers' Quitline
- Employee Assistance Program
Tobacco Education Links
In order to provide a healthy working and learning environment for the campus community, SUNY Canton became a Tobacco-Restricted Campus on January 1, 2014. Designated tobacco-use areas on campus were reduced and the campus plaza, parking lots and other areas declared tobacco-free.
Tobacco use is only allowed in the following areas:
- Heritage, Smith, Rushton, and Mohawk Gazebos
- Kennedy Hall Picnic Area
Tobacco use is no longer allowed in the following areas:
- Wicks and Nevaldine Gazebos
- College sidewalks, the campus plaza, building entrances and common areas, landscape areas, recreational areas, parking lots, and campus buildings on College property
- Interior of all buildings located on the College property and vehicles owned or operated by SUNY Canton and personally owned and rented vehicles when used to transport SUNY Canton faculty, staff, or students on any college‐related business, academic, or student life activities.
- Residence hall facilities; smoking or the carrying of lighted cigars, cigarettes, pipes or any other form of smoking object is prohibited in all areas of the residence halls including hallways, bathrooms, lounges, laundry rooms, offices, and vestibules.
- Within 50 feet of any building entrance or exit, including immediate vicinity of all windows and air intakes.
- Covered walkways or building over hangs.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Smoking Cessation for Students, Faculty and Staff
- Talking Points
- Complete Tobacco-Free Policy
- Tobacco Free SUNY
- Tobacco Referral Form
Information about incorporating healthy meals into your daily life:
- Nutrition Basics
- Healthy For Good: American Heart Association program to inspire you to create lasting change in your health and your life, one small step at a time. The approach is simple: Eat smart. Add color. Move more. Be well.
- My Plate!: My plate has replaced the food pyramid. Before you eat, check out my plate to learn how to create a healthy meal anywhere.
- Nutrition on a budget
- Nutrition for the whole family
- Healthy Mondays
- Meatless Mondays
- Healthy Eating on a Budget Cookbooks
- Skinnytaste Recipes: healthy dishes that don’t sacrifice any of the flavor that can be found in their full-fat origins.
- Simple and Easy Recipes from the American Heart Association
A regular fitness routine is essential to a healthy lifestyle. Exercise can improve your mood, energy, sleep, weight and reduce your stress. The Fitness Center and Pool is available for student use at no charge or take a walk/jog on campus (campus walking routes).
- Getting started with Fitness
- Get Moving: Tips and guidance on beginning and maintaining physical activity as part of a healthy lifestyle.
- Fitness Blender: Workout videos for every fitness level, healthy recipes and more.
- Fiton: Workout anywhere. Anytime.
- Down Dog Apps: Great fitness anywhere. Use your SUNY Canton email address when signing up to request a college student account. Student accounts include free access to premium content.
As a team of health care professionals, the Davis Health Center is dedicated to providing culturally competent medical care, educational programs and student advocacy which will enhance a student's wellbeing and empower them to become a well-informed consumer of health care during their lifetime.
Contraceptive services and STD testing are available through the Davis Health Center.
Free safe sex supplies:
- Free external, internal condoms, dental dams, finger cots and lubricant are available at the Davis Health Center (CC004), Wellness Promotions office (CC134), Counseling Center (CC 225) and RA offices in each residence hall.
- Spot on! The only period tracker that lets you track both your period and any birth control method that affects it, including the pill, patch, ring, implant, shot, and IUD.
- Get the Facts on Sexual Health from Planned Parenthood
- Bedsider.org: an online birth control support network
- Power to Decide: The campaign to prevent unplanned pregnancy.
As a team of health care professionals, the Davis Health Center is dedicated to providing culturally competent medical care, educational programs and student advocacy which will enhance a student's wellbeing and empower them to become a well-informed consumer of health care during their lifetime. To schedule an appointment call: 315-386-7333.
The Counseling Center works to promote a safe and positive atmosphere on campus. Our goal is to create an environment which is conducive to learning and developing a healthy lifestyle. The Counseling Center is designed to provide short term, brief counseling. To schedule an appointment call: (315) 386-7314 or stop in the office in Miller Campus Center 225.
SUNY's Crisis Text Line: Free and available 24/7, SUNY's Crisis Text Line provides support to work through everyday life stressors, mental health crises, and other well-being concerns. All you have to do is text Got5U to 741-741.
Spectrum (GSA): Contact Club Advisor Melissa Lee (email@example.com) for more information and meeting times.
The Office of Diversity Affairs operates in partnership with the College to promote, support, and integrates diversity initiatives to enhance our students’ education.
LGBTQIA+ Career Resources: The Career Services Office provides a collection of services that aid students and alumni in selecting and securing rewarding careers.
New York State LGBTQIA+ Resources: New York State offers a wide range of LGBTQIA+ resources. Check out what's available by region.
Sleep is an essential piece of college health. Lack of sleep can lead to poor academic performance, moodiness and loss of productivity. Practicing sleep hygiene is the key to a good night’s rest. Sleep hygiene includes: having a comfortable sleep environment, a bedtime routine and eliminating distractions such as your phone. If you’re struggling with a good night’s rest, we’re here to help. Schedule an appointment at the Davis Health Center or Counseling Center.
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is important for everyone, regardless if you learn in a classroom or in your living room. In addition to the information in the sections above, we’ve compiled online resources to stay well and engaged in a healthy lifestyle on Roo Life.
Information/resources for students who are also parents
Farren C. Lobdell
Director of Wellness Promotions
34 Cornell Drive
Canton, NY 13617