Taking a Leave of Absence: Full-time matriculated students
If you are facing circumstances that will interrupt your course of study at SUNY Canton, but you wish to return to the College within one year, we recommend that you request a Leave of Absence. A leave of absence preserves your admitted status in your current degree program at the time you begin your leave. This means that the academic requirements that are in place when you leave are “frozen.” It allows you to register without being readmitted and maintains access to your SUNY Canton email during your time away.
A leave of absence is normally granted for a maximum of 2 consecutive semesters or the total period of active duty for those called to active military service. Students may return to the campus following the leave by contacting the Dean’s Office to select classes. If your Leave expires, you must apply for readmission, and meet any new admission or degree requirements in place when you return to the College. A Leave for part of a semester counts as one semester.
- Your SUNY Canton cumulative GPA must be 2.0 or greater at the end of your last semester.
- You must have completed one or more semesters at SUNY Canton.
- You have good student conduct standing.
Note: Permission of the Program Director is required for students in select programs. Programs needing specific approval include:
- Nursing – AAS
- Dual Degree Nursing Program (DDNP)
- Veterinary Technology – BS
- Veterinary Science Technology – AAS
- Physical Therapist Assistant – AAS
- Practical Nursing
Formally apply for a Leave of Absence via UCanWeb.
- Login to UCanWeb
- Navigate to Miscellaneous Student Requirements
- Click on Leave of Absence link