SUNY Canton's Collegiate Science & Technology Entry Program (CSTEP) is a scholars program designed to prepare minority and economically disadvantaged students for careers in scientific, technical, engineering, mathematical, health-related and licensed professions. The program, which is part of a statewide effort to address the issue of minority under-representation in the STEM and Licensed professions, emphasizes academic preparation and achievement, and career awareness. Sponsored by the New York State Education Department, SUNY Canton's program is one of 49 that exist on college campuses throughout New York State.
CSTEP provides students with a unique college experience that combines academic services and activities with a variety of networking and career-advancement opportunities. Participants share invaluable social interaction and congenial support with fellow students, as well as receive customized strategies for success in both professional and personal aspects of life.
Students are encouraged to apply during their first year but may do so at any point during their college career. Once accepted, students are expected to participate in academic and career activities, and maintain academic excellence.
CSTEP benefits include:
- Academic, Career and Personal Counseling
- One-on-one and group tutoring
- Enrichment workshops
- Licensure preparation
- Financial assistance with Licensing fees
- Trips/Tours, including conference opportunities
- Social Activities
- employment, scholarship or educational references
- Financial assistance with Graduate school applications
- Graduate school exam preparation
- Recognition awards
- Meet new people and become part of a family
Eligible students must be:
- In good academic standing and enrolled full time in an undergraduate or graduate program
- A New York State resident
- Planning to study in the fields of Science, Technology, Mathematics, Engineering or Licensed professions
- Economically disadvantaged (as defined by New York State Income guidelines) or African American, Latino, Native American, or Alaskan Native
CSTEP Member Requirements:
Once a student is enrolled into the program, they are expected to:
- Maintain their GPA of 2.0 or above
- Meet with a CSTEP administrative member monthly
- Attend and participate in at least one CSTEP or related event per semester
Participation in CSTEP is absolutely free. Costs are covered by the New York State Education Department & SUNY Canton.
For an application to the CSTEP Program, please email the office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ONLINE Students are an important part of our campus community and your academic success is important to us. You can reach out to CSTEP to schedule a phone meeting at any time. Together, we will create for you an individualized plan that will meet our program’s participation requirements while being away from the campus.
We will be happy to accommodate YOUR schedule as much as possible.
Nevaldine South 131
34 Cornell Drive
Canton, NY 13617
Phone: (315) 379-3804