Home > Admissions > Transfer Students

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

**Please click questions to reveal answers

It is important to plan early to ensure that you will receive an evaluation of all credits that may be applied to a program of study at SUNY Canton. Applicants previously registered at another college or university are considered transfer students.

Please submit an application via www.suny.edu or via www.commonapp.org
To get started, contact the registrar’s office at each institution you previously attended and request an official transcript be sent to the Office of Admissions, SUNY Canton, 34 Cornell Drive, Canton, NY 13617. We will also need your final high school transcript or a copy of your GED/TASC scores sent to our office as well.

Submitted materials, including transcripts and writing samples, become the property of the institution and will not be returned to the applicant. Unofficial transcripts, not issued by a college’s registrar office, cannot be used to make an admissions decision on a student’s application.

Transfer credits for previous courses will be determined by the Transfer Credit Evaluator. In most cases, after SUNY Canton has received all of your official transcripts and the Transfer Credit Evaluation is completed, refer to your UCanWeb Account to access the information.

A cumulative GPA of a 2.0 is the minimum GPA to transfer. Admission requirements vary depending on intended major; selective health programs require a minimum of a 2.75 GPA.

Yes, we will review and accept AP/IB/CLEP/and college level coursework from high school. We require official transcripts from the institution awarding those credits be sent to us and are unable to use a high school transcript to award credit.

All new transfer students must pay their enrollment deposit before registering for classes. The Dean’s Office for your intended major will issue you a registration code after your deposit is received and advising, via the Dean’s Office, is completed.

Yes, we provide on-campus housing for transfer students. You can read more about our options by visiting the Kennedy Hall information page.

Office of Admissions
SUNY Canton
34 Cornell Drive
Canton, NY 13617

(315) 386-7123 or
Fax: (315) 386-7929