50% Online - This SUNY Canton degree is a hybrid program that can be partially earned online.
Industrial Technology Management
ITM is an interdisciplinary bachelor’s degree appropriate for a wide variety of students in the robust technology fields. It is designed to merge each student’s particular technology-based educational interest with a blend of business courses that will expand their high-level employment opportunities. Many employers are looking for a technical background with the business savvy to get the job done.
Students will learn:
- Successful experiment design
- Project management skills
- How to succeed in a team environment
- Leadership skills for their future careers
- Industrial Technology Management Brochure
"You can get a really good job with our highly-successful two-year engineering technology program, you can get an even better job with our Industrial Technology Management (ITM) four-year degree."
The Nuts and Bolts
When beginning the program, students take a number of core-courses in each of the college’s hands-on engineering technology programs, like:
- Civil Engineering Technology
- Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Air Conditioning Engineering Technology
- Electrical Engineering Technology
- Construction Technology Management
Students can then select a concentration that best fits their personal interests, custom designing a four-year education to best fit their career ambitions. Many successful two year engineering students have transitioned to supervisory and management roles. ITM leverages the discipline of technology to prepare graduates for leadership in industry.
According to the New York State Department of Labor Occupational Outlook reveals the following outlook through 2010:
- 4.9 percent increase in Environmental Engineering
- 9.4 percent increase for all types of Management Occupations
- 11 percent increase for operations specialties managers
- 18 percent increase for construction managers
- 7.5 percent increase for supervisors of maintenance and repair workers
- 7.5 percent increase for supervisors of mechanics, installers, and repairers
- 13.3 percent increase in Supervisors and Managers of Construction Trades
Perfect by Design
One of the highlights of the core courses is a Design of Experiments class. Students investigate the optimal settings on a given subject to determine the best quality or create the most predictable outcomes.
An example of a Design of Experiments project involves a rubber-band driven desktop catapult, named a Statapult. The Statapult has the fantastic power of throwing a small rubber ball, and the operator has to hit a target 15 feet away. There are three settings on the device and each setting will change its performance. One of the settings has six options, the second has five, and the final has four separate settings (mathematically displayed 6! x 5! x 4!). There are a grand total of 2,073,600 combinations of settings and only one of them will shoot the projectile the desired 15 feet.
"Through experimentation, students learn to mathematically and scientifically determine the optimal performance of simple and complex machines,"Newtown explained.
Industrial Technology Management
Graduation Rate Trends
|Cohort Entering||Cohort Size||%|
*Graduate rates are based on first-time, full-time, degree-seeking freshmen entering in fall and graduating within 150% of time.