Veterinary Technology - Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the B.S. degree program in Veterinary Science Technology students will:
- Utilize management and organizational skills to assume a leadership role in the workplace.
- Communicate effectively through both oral presentations and written essays and research papers.
- Practice interpersonal skills to work cooperatively to achieve optimum and compassionate patient care.
- Participate in veterinary facility management utilizing traditional and electronic media and appropriate veterinary medical terminology and abbreviations.
- Safely and effectively calculate drug dosages, administer prescribed drugs to patients, dispense and explain prescribed drugs to clients.
- Demonstrate and perform patient assessment, husbandry and therapeutics in a variety of animal species
- Safely and effectively manage patients in all phases of anesthetic procedures.
- Integrate all aspects of patient management and proper surgical assistance for common surgical procedures in a variety of animal species.
- Properly package, handle and store specimens for laboratory analysis and perform diagnostic laboratory analysis.
- Safely and effectively produce diagnostic radiographic and non-radiographic images.
- Synthesize knowledge gained from core and liberal arts courses to guide decision -making in the veterinary field.
- Apply critical thinking to analyze and integrate data from many sources and engage in creative problem solving in complex situations.
- Utilize knowledge gained from core veterinary technology courses to successfully complete the veterinary technology national exam and gain licensure as a veterinary technician.
- Effectively and professionally communicate with veterinary personnel and clients in a clinical setting.
- Employ more advanced nursing , sampling techniques and treatment modalities used in veterinary practice that are beyond the essential tasks set by veterinary technology accreditation.
- Be qualified to enroll in a postgraduate degree program.
Mary O'Horo Loomis
Newell Vet Tech Center 101A
34 Cornell Drive
Canton, NY 13617