Posts Tagged ‘Hall of Fame’

SUNY Canton Welcomes Back Graduates for Alumni Weekend

Wednesday, July 3rd, 2013

Hundreds of SUNY Canton graduates will return to campus July 19 to 21 for the College’s Alumni Weekend.

Registration will begin at 9 a.m. Friday, July 19, in the Richard W. Miller Campus Center. The weekend’s activities will include a half-century luncheon honoring the class of 1963, campus tours and special reunions for Nursing and Automotive Technology graduates. Milestone celebrations will be held for Alpha Chi Omicron sorority’s 90th anniversary and Kappa Xi Omega sorority’s 10th anniversary.

Alumni Weekend Photo

“Alumni Weekend offers a special opportunity for former students to catch up with old friends, hear what’s happening on campus and have a lot of fun,” said Peggy S. Levato, director of alumni affairs.

A Hall of Fame induction ceremony, which will add 25 new members to the Century Club, will take place at 5 p.m. Friday in the Convocation, Athletic and Recreation Center, nicknamed Roos House. Members of the Hall of Fame include alumni, founders, athletes, community members, and retired faculty and staff members.

“The Hall of Fame honors those who have made lasting contributions to SUNY Canton,” Levato said. “We are grateful for the energy the inductees have invested into making the College a better place for our students.”

The weekend will cap off with a barbeque and reception on the Campus plaza Saturday evening.

For a complete schedule of events, visit http://www.canton.edu/alumni/reunion_reservation.html or contact the SUNY Canton Alumni Office at (800) 811-6727
or alumni@canton.edu.

About SUNY Canton

SUNY Canton offers a variety of career-driven bachelor’s degrees in addition to its associate and certificate programs. In the past year, the College added two new bachelor’s degrees and expanded its facilities with a new athletic center, nicknamed Roos House, and the Grasse River Suites Residence Hall. The College’s faculty members are noted for their professional real-world experience in addition to their academic credentials. SUNY Canton OnLine offers flexible and convenient online courses and programs. The College’s 14 athletic teams compete as provisional members of the NCAA Division III as well as the USCAA.

 

Related Posts:

SUNY Canton Names 2013 Distinguished Alumnus

Wednesday, July 3rd, 2013
Pictured are (l to r) Karrie A. Mooney, a second-year Nursing student from Ogdensburg, Robert M. Thompson, SUNY Canton¹s 2013 Distinguished Alumnus Award recipient, and Ruth T. McWilliams, Thompson-Weatherup Foundation President. Mooney is a recipient of the family foundation¹s scholarship.

Pictured are (l to r) Karrie A. Mooney, a second-year Nursing
student from Ogdensburg, Robert M. Thompson, SUNY Canton’s 2013
Distinguished Alumnus Award recipient, and Ruth T. McWilliams,
Thompson-Weatherup Foundation President. Mooney is a recipient of the
family foundation’s scholarship.

SUNY Canton will present the 2013 Distinguished Alumnus Award to a graduate who has made a lifetime of contributions to the North Country and the field of agriculture.

Robert M. Thompson Jr., class of 1942, will be given the award during the College’s Hall of Fame induction ceremony July 19.

“Mr. Thompson is an inspiration to our students and the entire SUNY Canton community,” said Peggy S. Levato, SUNY Canton’s director of alumni affairs. “He is a wonderful example of what can be achieved through hard work and perseverance.”

After graduating with a degree in Agriculture and taking over his family’s dairy farm in Flackville, he and his wife, Esther (Weatherup), purchased a farm in Lisbon in 1954. Thompson traveled the country to develop a prize-winning herd of Holstein cattle. He also was active in St. Lawrence County and New York state Holstein associations.

“His professional skills throughout his many years as a dairyman set a standard of excellence realized by only an elite few in Northern New York throughout the 1970s and 1980s,” said Douglas H. Ort, vice chair of the Lewis County Community Service Board. “He demonstrated excellence, not only with his own family farm, but in investing his knowledge for the benefit of neighbor family farms and for the dairy industry as a whole in New York State.”

In addition to being a successful dairy farmer, he has given generously to the community through his participation in 4H, the Cornell Cooperative Extension and other agricultural organizations.

As an advocate for a quality education, Thompson served on the Lisbon School Board and was appointed to the SUNY Canton College Council in 1954. He was also a member of the first St. Lawrence County Board of Legislators and was recognized as a leader during his tenure.

Thompson’s family has strong ties to the College. His wife is a 1943 SUNY Canton alumna, and their children established the Thompson-Weatherup Family foundation in their parents’ honor, which, among other charitable endeavors, supports a SUNY Canton nursing scholarship. Thompson’s father, Robert Sr., graduated in 1910 as part of the second class of the Agricultural and Technical Institute at Canton, now known as SUNY Canton.

About SUNY Canton:

SUNY Canton offers a variety of career-driven bachelor’s degrees in addition to its associate and certificate programs. In the past year, the College added two new bachelor’s degrees and expanded its facilities with a new athletic center, nicknamed Roos House, and the Grasse River Suites Residence Hall. The College’s faculty members are noted for their professional real-world experience in addition to their academic credentials. SUNY Canton OnLine offers flexible and convenient online courses and programs. The College’s 14 athletic teams compete as provisional members of the NCAA Division III as well as the USCAA.

Media inquiries should be directed to Gregory Kie, Media Relations Manager, or call 315/386-7527.

Related Posts:

SUNY Canton Announces Hall of Fame Induction Class

Monday, February 27th, 2012

SUNY Canton added 25 remarkable individuals to the College’s Hall of Fame at an induction ceremony on Friday, Feb 24 in the College’s Chaney Dining Center.

“Our College would not be where it is today without the hard work, dedication and thoughtfulness of these wonderful people,” said SUNY Canton President Dr. Joseph L. Kennedy. “They laid the foundation for our many successes and we’re looking forward to celebrating their numerous contributions and accomplishments.”

Those eligible for induction into the Hall of Fame include, but are not limited to, alumni, founders, community members, and retired faculty and staff members. The recent inductees also include past presidents, distinguished faculty members, and numerous individuals who have significantly impacted SUNY Canton and the North Country.

The class is the second installment of the Hall of Fame’s Century Club, which will include the College’s first 100 inductees. The first class was inducted during SUNY Canton’s Alumni Weekend in June 2011.

“So many people have impacted our College in significant ways, but we could not appropriately induct them all at once,” Kennedy noted. “We wanted to make sure we took the time to honor each individual in the way they deserve to be recognized and thank them for all they have done for SUNY Canton and our students.”

The second installment of the Hall of Fame Century Club includes:

Dr. Adelord S. and Sylvia H. Blanchard – Dr. Adelord “Doc” Blanchard was a driving force in the secretarial science department for 22 years. He was admired as a professional who was deeply committed to his work and dedicated to his students. To perpetuate the high standards of excellence for which he was known, the Dr. Adelord S. Blanchard Endowment was established by the Student Cooperative Alliance and enlarged by Doc’s colleagues and friends. Sylvia H. Blanchard taught secretarial science and business at SUNY Canton for 25 years, from 1970 until her retirement in 1995.  She was past president of ATC Women and a member of the Canton-Potsdam Zonta Club. Following her death in 1999, her family requested that this endowment fund be renamed to recognize her outstanding contributions to the College and thus the Dr. Adelord S. and Sylvia H. Blanchard Memorial Endowed Scholarship was named in honor of nearly fifty years of their combined service to the college.

Miles CaninoJoel M. Canino ’59 – After graduating from SUNY Canton in 1959, Joel M. Canino worked as an industrial purchasing agent for Inland Supply Company in Syracuse. A year later he was offered a position at the Syracuse construction contracting firm of H.H. and F.E. Bean, Inc., where he eventually became executive vice president. In 1973, he moved to Orlando, Florida to work for the Pittsburgh-based mechanical contracting firm of Sauer Industries, where he served as president of various subsidiaries. In 1984, he became president of C.N.F. Industries in Meriden, Connecticut. Mr. Canino and his partner began Gemma Power Systems, one of the largest design/construct power plant builders in New England and one of the best in the nation, in 1997. His passion for the College was evident in his many gifts, which totaled more than $3 million and included the largest gift in SUNY Canton’s history. The College dedicated its School of Engineering Technology in his honor and renamed it the Canino School of Engineering Technology in 2005.

 

Mary Adele Chaney – A former professor of domestic science and academic subjects, Mary Adele Chaney was among the first group of women to graduate from the Agriculture School in 1910. After furthering her education at institutions such as Columbia University, Simmons College, Connecticut and later Providence, Ms. Chaney returned to teach at her alma mater in 1914 where she was hired as second assistant in domestic science and eventually became first assistant. Two years later she became the head of the domestic science program. For over two decades, she graced the institution with her youthful spirit, understanding, and patience, propelling her adaptation to changing times during her devoted time to higher education. She was also instrumental in starting the Pi Nu Epsilon, the first sorority for women. The Chaney Dining Center is named in her honor.

 

D. Edgar Cloce ’59 – D. Edgar Cloce is a 1959 graduate of the automotive technology program and is president of T.J. Toyota in Potsdam, one of the most successful automotive dealerships in the North Country. He was the 2009 recipient of the College’s Distinguished Alumni Award. In 1989, he and his wife, Clare, established the Ed and Clara Cloce Scholarship. He is a member of the Canton College Foundation Board of Directors and SUNY Canton’s Automotive Technology Advisory Committee and is also a regular supporter of the SUNY Canton College Foundation.

 

Dr. Solomon Cook – Dr. Solomon Cook was named to the SUNY Canton College Council by then-Governor Hugh Carey in December 1978 and served in that capacity until retiring in February 1989.  In the later years of his Council term, he served as a Council representative on the Canton College Foundation Board of Directors. As chief of the tribal council, he played a crucial role in helping his community recover from a period of unrest. Dr. Cook dedicated his skills to improve the quality of life in his community. He served in the U.S. Navy in World War II; was elected chief of the St. Regis Mohawk Tribal Council; served as president of his church parish council and as an officer of the Knights of Columbus; is active in Farm Bureau and the 4-H Advisory Committee in program development; and donated land for a library in Hogansburg.

 

Henry and Macy Davis – In the 1930s and 40s, Henry and Macy Davis worked in a greenhouse at the College for more than a dozen years. Mr. Davis started working in the greenhouse as a newlywed with Macy. Mr. Davis began taking evening classes in 1941, which served as preparation for World War II and eventually led to his career in electrical construction. After he retired, he left $250,000 to the College but wanted no attention surrounding the gift until after he passed away.

 

William D. Demo ’57 – William D. Demo owned the Demo Auctioneering and Appraisal Service and retired from the St. Lawrence Central School after teaching for 27 years. Mr. Demo is a member of the Canton College Foundation Board of Directors and has been a volunteer fireman for 58 years and town councilman for 51 years. He has been a generous benefactor to the College Foundation creating the Bill and Kathleen Demo and Family Endowed Scholarship. Mr. Demo is a leader in St. Lawrence County and is a behind the scenes supporter for many significant projects at the College.

Dr. Kennedy & Dr. Fraser

 

Dr. Robert Fraser – Dr. Robert Fraser served as vice president of academic affairs at the College. He arrived at Canton in 1973 as dean of instruction and was appointed to his vice presidential role in 1976, which he served until retiring in 1991. Dr. Fraser also served as the interim president between Dr. Earl W. MacArthur and Dr. Kennedy. During his 18-year tenure, he was a member of the New York State Association of Junior Colleges and the SUNY Association of Two-Year College Academic Officers, and took part in several local organizations.

 

Dr. Albert E. French – Dr. Albert E. French became the sixth director and the first President of the College in April 1948. Along with his arrival came the name change of the College for the third time, it became the State University of New York Agricultural and Technical Institute. During his 24 years of service, Dr. French was involved with two major building projects, including the College’s move across the village of Canton. French Hall was the administrative building during the years that Dr. French and Dr. MacArthur served as president. The Albert E. French Scholarship was established in 1972 by the Canton Alumni Association and was endowed and enlarged in 1989 by alumni and the French family in honor of, and in tribute to, Dr. French.

 

Walter Kingston – Walter Kingston taught at the College from 1946 through 1979. After graduating high school, he served as Chief in the Canadian Navy prior to teaching at SUNY Canton. He subsequently obtained his bachelor’s and master’s degrees after more than 20 years of summer school and night school. Mr. Kingston began teaching industrial technology in 1946 and started the automotive technology department in 1949 and served as director until 1977. An endowment was established in his honor by his son Dr. William Kingston and his wife, Dr. Anne Moss. The scholarship is awarded annually to an incoming freshman who has been accepted into the automotive technology program.

 

Ernest C. Krag – Ernest C. Krag was a beloved professor of sociology and founder of the College’s Native American Club. He was a member of the Board of Directors of College Association, Inc. and played a critical role in the advising of the Pi Nu Epsilon sorority at SUNY Canton. He was appointed to the faculty at the College in 1965 and became a full professor in 1972. Mr. Krag was the recipient of the College’s Distinguished Faculty Award in 1980. He dedicated his professional and personal life to the College and was known for his high standards of honesty and unselfish service to students, the College and the community. The Ernest C. Krag Scholarship was established in 1991 on the occasion of his retirement as a tribute to him and the impact he had on students, faculty, staff and the College.

 

Mrs Edson MartinEdson A. Martin – Edson A. Martin donated the land that SUNY Canton was built upon. When talks surfaced of the possibility of moving the College out of Canton, Martin gave the farm property in the northwest edge of the village to ensure the College didn’t leave the community. His gift provided the space for the campus to evolve into a leading college in the North Country and assured its future. He was one of the original members of the College Council, which came together for the first time in 1954. Mr. Martin was the recipient of SUNY Canton’s first ever Distinguished Citizen Award in 1976 and he was recognized again in 1991 when the College named the athletic fields in his honor.

 

Catherine Newell – Catherine Barnett Newell represents the fifth generation of her family to make her home in St. Lawrence County. She was an elementary school teacher and founding member of the environmental organization Save the River, North Country Citizens for Responsible Land Use, and the Hammond History and Folk Art Museum. She is also a former board member of the St. Lawrence Aquarium and Ecological Center, Ogdensburg Command Performances, and North Country Public Radio’s Community Advisory Board. She has also served in various other leadership roles throughout the North Country. Ms. Newell co-founded the Sweetgrass Foundation, a private charitable institution which provides financial support to local non-profit organizations, with an ultimate mission to improve the quality of life in Northern New York. Her efforts resulted in the College’s Newell Veterinary Technology Center, a much-needed space on campus as the veterinary technology programs have grown significantly in recent years.

 

Allan Newell – Allan Newell represents the fifth generation of his family to reside in St. Lawrence County. He served in the U.S. Navy for four years and on the Newell Rubbermaid Inc. Board of Directors. As co-founder of the Sweetgrass Foundation, Mr. Newell has served as its President and Treasurer. Hundreds of grants have been awarded to numerous regional organizations, including the private funding required to secure the matching state funds for the construction of SUNY Canton’s Newell Veterinary Technology Center. At the time, the gift was the largest in SUNY Canton’s history. Many North Country students also continue to benefit from the Allan P. and Catherine B. Newell Endowed Scholarship established by them with a personal gift to the College in 2003. Catherine Newell and Allan Newell were awarded the College’s Distinguished Citizen award in 2007.

 

John P. Ouderkirk – A Malone native, Mr. Ouderkirk graduated from SUNY Canton in 1952 and from St. Lawrence University in 1958.  He served in the Army from 1953 to 1955. Mr. Ouderkirk taught Physics at SUNY Canton from 1958 until his death in 1987. A truly outstanding teacher, he was known on campus and throughout SUNY for his contributions to the field. Mr. Ouderkirk was a gifted lecturer, a wise mentor, a caring counselor, and a quietly inspiring taskmaster.  The prestigious SUNY Chancellor’s Award particularly recognized his skills for Excellence in Teaching in 1975. While he insisted on high standards, he gave unselfishly of his time to anyone who needed it; he gave students opportunities to develop their full potentials; and he always gave students the benefit of the doubt.

 

Ronald M. O’Neill ’63 – Ronald O’Neill, class of 1963, began serving on the College Council in 1984 and was appointed as chair in 1992 by former New York State Governor Mario M. Cuomo. Mr. O’Neill continued to serve as a board member until 1999 and was reappointed as Chair of the SUNY Canton College Council by former Governor David A. Paterson in 2008 and is currently serving in that role. He was named to the State University of New York’s Alumni Honor Roll in 2000 because of his extensive contributions to the community and SUNY Canton. That same year, he received the SUNY Canton Distinguished Alumnus Award. O’Neill was the youngest Democratic Chairman for the Town of Canton, was a Morley Library Trustee and was a member of the Morley Volunteer Fire Company. While working for the Social Security Administration, he was also an alternate and on-site union representative for the American Federation of Government Employees.

 

James M. Payson – Dr. James Payson served the College for 22 years and was one of the most beloved figures from the School of Agriculture. Many referred to him as a “founding father,” prolific educator, and an amicable friend. He documented the early years of the School of Agriculture in a typescript work entitled, “A Brief History of the State School of Agriculture.” For over two decades of conscientious work, Dr. Payson shaped many lives and was a strong advocate for the school he took pride great in, as he was dedicated to providing a promising future to his students and the College.

 

Gerald Roselle – A dedicated educator and benefactor of the College for over 24 years, Gerald Roselle was a member of the English department where he served as chair from 1977 until 1982. In 1992, he established a significant bequest to the Foundation that funds scholarships and paid assistantships. One of the scholarships is presented annually to a freshman humanities student. The College’s academic plaza is named in his honor and is located between Cook Hall and Southworth Library and marked by a plaque.

 

Dr. Edwin Smith – Dr. Edwin Smith created the veterinary science technology curriculum at SUNY Canton and was named the College’s 2003 Distinguished Citizen. He was known for his enthusiasm and professionalism while serving as a faculty member and his colleagues were impressed with his ability to educate as well as motivate and support students. He invented lab facilities and equipment that helped students learn the necessary techniques required in the field. The veterinary science technology program has evolved into one of the most successful in the state, with the addition of bachelor’s degrees and the Newell Veterinary Technology Center. Dr. Smith had his own veterinary practice in Canton that served many community members and was an outstanding addition to the North Country.

 

William Stalder – Former College Council Chair and member and former chairman of the Canton College Council since 1962, William Stalder was a charter member and past chairman of the Association of College Trustees (ACT). He is one of the few College Council chairmen to have been appointed by both Republican and Democratic governors of New York State. He retired in 1991 as the managing partner of Witherbee and Whalen, Inc.

 

Jay F. Stone ’62 – Jay Stone graduated from the Air Conditioning program in 1962 and owns Hyde-Stone Mechanical Contractors, Inc., which has one of two offices in Potsdam. Mr. Stone has been a member of the Board of Directors of the Canton College Foundation, Inc. since 1989, and is a member of the college’s Air Conditioning Engineering Technology Curricular Advisory Committee. The Jay F. Stone Scholarship was established in 1996 by his wife and children to honor his dedication and service. The scholarship is awarded annually to an entering freshman student who enrolls in the Air Conditioning Engineering Technology curriculum.

 

Josephine P. Swift – Josephine P. Swift was the first recipient of Dr. Joseph L. Kennedy’s President’s Meritorious Award, one of the most coveted awards presented to a faculty or staff member each year at the College’s Recognition Day. She worked at the College for more than 25 years and was the coordinator of conference services and director of continuing education and community service before becoming assistant to the president. She was the founder of many of the College’s institutional traditions, and chaired committees of major events such as the Honor’s Convocation, the President’s Gala, Commencement and Recognition Day, among others. She authored a book, “Academic Protocol: Doing it Right,” that assisted the College in its future coordination of events following her departure. She played a key role in keeping the College open in the 1990s through reaching out to community members and political personnel that she had gotten to know through her involvement with the Republican Party.

 

Dr. Rollo E. Wicks – Wicks Hall was named after Dr. Rollo E. Wicks, who led the general education department for many years. Dr. Wicks was a graduate of Syracuse University with a Ph.D. from Cornell. He had a long experience as a secondary school teacher and administrator before joining the College’s faculty. As chairman of the Division of General Education, he helped significantly expand and broaden the liberal arts offerings of the College. He served as the College’s representative in State and National Junior College organizations. Dr. Wicks also authored a textbook and was on several committees on campus that worked to ensure the College’s accreditation.

 

Ronald L. ’59 & Blanche K. ’06 Woodcock – Ronald L. Woodcock is a benefactor from the class of 1959. In 1990, the Woodcocks established the Woodcock Family Scholarship Endowment. Mr. and Mrs. Woodcock co-chaired the Canton College Foundation’s Centennial Campaign alongside his wife, Blanche. A group of rooms in the Richard W. Miller Campus Center are named in honor of him and his wife. Mr. Woodcock was recognized by SUNY Canton as the 1989 Distinguished Alumnus Award recipient and in 1990 was the recipient of the New York State Alumni Confederation Distinguished Alumni Service Award. Mrs. Woodcock oversaw the renovations at the College’s Alumni House located at 8 Stillman Drive, Canton, and the home is named in her honor. She was also the 2006 recipient of the College’s prestigious Honorary Alumna award.

 

Glenn E. Wright – A North Country native, Glenn E. Wright joined the College faculty as an instructor of social science and part-time administrative officer and eventually became a professor in 1948. As the College grew, Mr. Wright’s role moved from out of the classroom and served in a more administrative role, including serving as acting director in Dr. Albert E. French’s eighteen month absence from the College. During that period, Mr. Wright secured the gift from fellow inductee Edson A. Martin that moved the College to its current location. Mr. Wright and Dr. French worked closely together, as Wright served as acting director and president several more times during French’s 24-year tenure. He also served as vice president for student affairs and was a vice president during part of Dr. Earl W. MacArthur’s presidency. He resigned in 1976 after 28 years of service that included administrative duties that dealt with student affairs and admissions, among others.

View the entire ceremony:



 

The College is seeking nominations for future classes of the college-wide Hall of Fame. Information on criteria for induction and the nomination form can be found at http://www.canton.edu/hof/nomination.html.

Related Posts:

SUNY Canton Announces Inaugural Hall of Fame

Friday, June 10th, 2011

SUNY CantonSUNY Canton’s upcoming Alumni Weekend celebration will include the induction of the first 25 members to the College’s newly created Hall of Fame.

The college-wide Hall of Fame, designed to honor people who have made significant contributions to the College, will conduct its first induction ceremony at a special dinner on Friday, June 10 in Chaney Dining Center. The Alumni Weekend will also include alumni games in SUNY Canton’s new Roos House athletic center on Saturday, June 11.

Those eligible for induction into the Hall of Fame include, but are not limited to, alumni, founders, community members, and retired faculty and staff members. The first class also includes past presidents, athletes and coaches.

“Our inductees have made SUNY Canton a priority in their lives,” said Dr. Joseph L. Kennedy, SUNY Canton president. “We honor them for their involvement with our community, their personal successes, and the impact they’ve made on SUNY Canton. These are the people our students will look up to, appreciate and aspire to be.”

The class is just the first installment of the Hall of Fame’s Century Club, which will include the College’s first 100 inductees. The College will induct three more groups of 25 in the next 18 months.

“So many people have impacted our College in significant ways, but we could not induct them all at once,” Kennedy noted. “We wanted to make sure we took the time to honor each individual in the way they deserve to be honored and recognized. In the coming year and a half, we will induct the other members of the Century Club and from there, continue with annual inductions.”

The inaugural Hall of Fame inductees include:

  • Leon E. Bagley, class of 1948, graduated with an engineering technology degree and worked at GE for 35 years. He was a World War II veteran and enrolled at Canton ATI under the GI Bill. He was passionate about education and the North Country. The Bagleys have had three generations attend the College: his son Timothy graduated in 1985 and his grandson Alexander graduated in 2005. Bagley was instrumental in creating his sister-in-law Alice Bagley’s scholarship in 1997. At the time, it was the largest scholarship in the history of the College. He and his wife established the Leon and Rachael Bagley Endowed Scholarship in 2002. General Electric matched the funds in excess of $220,000 with an additional $150,000 given at the time of his death;
  • William Brown, class of 1961, who was one of the finest basketball players in the history of the College and went on to become one of the original members of the Harlem Globetrotters. Following his career at Canton ATC, he played Division I basketball at Texas Western and has enjoyed an extremely successful business career. He currently works as a director at UBS Financial Services in Weehawken, N.J. Brown’s Northmen had a record of 34-5 in his two years in Canton;
  • Barbara A. Burnham, class of 1946, who is a long time generous donor and has supported scholarships for students at SUNY Canton. She was a teacher for many years and also enjoyed a successful real estate career. She made the College a priority in her philanthropic efforts, establishing an endowed scholarship in her name. She gave a large gift during the troubled economic times because of her commitment to making higher education possible for SUNY Canton students. She has been an active member of the Alumni Association since graduation and published a poem about the College titled, ‘Dear Aggie;’
  • Alden C. Chadwick, who devoted 28 years of service to the College Association as a member of the Board of Directors. He served as the assistant dean of students and was the College’s first director of financial aid. One of his most prominent roles was serving as director of athletics, where he helped expand women’s sport offerings. A scholarship was established in his name in 1993 that honors a senior student who has demonstrated academic success while participating in an intercollegiate athletic program. He was also a Ithaca College Athletic Hall of Fame inductee (1988) and high school and college basketball referee;
  • Elaine Claxton Pidgeon, class of 1939, who ultimately became director of home economics and food services in the North Syracuse Central School District and served as president of the New York State School Food Service Association. She donated one of the largest gifts to the College to help support outstanding students pursue their scholarly goals. During her years at Canton, Pidgeon was one of the winners of Payson Lecture, a highly competitive speech competition dating back to that time period. After leaving Canton, she became very well known for her extraordinary philanthropic efforts throughout central and northern New York;
  • Stanley W. Cohen, who worked at the College for 39 years and eventually became SUNY Canton’s Athletic Director and served in that capacity until 1972. He began his Canton career as basketball coach and as an accounting instructor. He led some of the most successful basketball teams in the history of the College and coached fellow Hall of Famers William Brown and Robert C. Rogers. During his tenure, he expanded the sport offerings by adding hockey, wrestling, cross country, and baseball. Under his leadership, the Canton Aggies became the Northmen. He was an integral part of the athletic department over a span of five decades until his departure in 1996;
  • Evan M. Dana, class of 1931, who contributed 40 years of service to SUNY Canton. He was a faculty member and chairman of the Division of Agriculture, coach of several athletic teams and was instrumental in the early history of the Alumni Association, serving as president from 1935 to 1939. He was named the College’s Distinguished Citizen in 1977 and the College’s former athletic facility, Dana Hall, was named in honor of his many contributions;
  • John L. Halford, Sr., class of 1949 and World War II veteran, who is one of SUNY Canton’s biggest supporters. He established two scholarships and his gifts have led to several naming opportunities around campus, including the Halford Lobby in the Faculty Office Building and the John L. Halford Alumni Suite in the College’s new Roos House athletic center. In 1999, he became the College’s first member of the Legacy Society by establishing a $50,000 charitable remainder trust and in 2010 he received the College’s Distinguished Alumnus Award. He serves on the SUNY Canton Foundation Board of Directors;
  • Herman W. Kalberer, who was a professor in chemistry for 37 years and played a critical role in establishing the Honors Convocation Luncheon. He was a favorite among students because he challenged them in the classroom so they could be successful in their careers. The chemistry labs in Cook Hall are dedicated to him and his many efforts, including his generous gifts to the College that have assisted non-traditional students complete their studies. He was named Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Chemistry in 2003;
  • Harry E. King, class of 1940, who worked at the College for 37 years and started the heating, ventilation and air conditioning program in 1946. One of the most profound ways King influenced SUNY Canton was teaching, developing a wonderfully crafted air conditioning program that prepared students for successful careers in the field. He was the recipient of several awards and is a former Alumni Association president.  In 2008, more than 200 alumni, family and friends of King came together early in the year and raised $150,000 to name the new air conditioning laboratory after him to honor the impact he had on their lives;
  • Terry L. Martin, who served as the College’s head men’s ice hockey coach from 1974-1999, compiling a record of 527-211-29, including a 102-11-8 mark in his final four seasons. His team won 12 national championship titles throughout his career. Martin also served as men’s athletic director, women’s soccer coach, men’s lacrosse coach and taught in the physical education department. He was the 2009 recipient of the American Hockey Coaches Association’s prestigious John “Snooks” Kelley Founders Award, recognizing the effect Martin had on the collegiate sport;
  • Virginia M. McAllister, who was the first director of the College’s nursing program. She spent 42 years in the nursing profession, including her last 14 years with the College. Today, the nursing program is one of the most popular and successful programs at SUNY Canton. The Virginia McAllister Award for Excellence in Nursing was established in 1979;
  • Richard W. Miller, who dedicated 65 years to SUNY Canton and was a distinguished professor of electrical engineering technology for 37 years. In 1976, he received the Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching. The prior year, he was named an Outstanding Educator in America. In 1982, he received the SUNY Canton College Council’s Distinguished Faculty Award. Miller is an esteemed advisor to the Alpha chapter of the Theta Gamma Fraternity, a post he has held since 1948. He remains an active member of the SUNY Canton Foundation Board of Directors and the Alumni Association Board of Directors. The Richard W. Miller Campus Center is named in honor of his generous gifts to the College;
  • Peter Nevaldine, who introduced the industrial chemistry and technical electricity programs to the College in 1937. In 1946, he developed and introduced the mechanical, air conditioning, and production supervision curricula. His guidance direction ushered in the automotive technology, construction and civil technology, engineering science, and industrial technology programs. Under Nevaldine’s leadership, the engineering technology division became the first publicly supported school among AAS-granting institutions to receive accreditation from the Engineering Council for Professional Development. In 1988, the SUNY Board of Trustees resolved that the College’s engineering technology building be renamed Peter Nevaldine Hall on the 15th anniversary of his retirement. His students are among the most successful to graduate from the College;
  • Ronald J. O’Brien, who was the first hockey coach at the College. His efforts and determination were critical in the success of the program, as O’Brien captured the College’s first two national junior college championships. He also won seven regional titles and compiled an impressive record of 133-27 in his tenure;
  • Jean M. Parker, who began her 15-year career at SUNY Canton as associate dean of students and dean of women. She became the College’s first female vice president when she took the role of vice president of student affairs and dean of students on July 1, 1976. She nurtured the development of the student affairs division during the College’s rapidly growing student enrollment period of the late 1970s and early 1980s. Parker established an endowment that provides students the opportunity to further their leadership potential;
  • Robert C. Rogers, class of 1960, who was a member of one of the most successful basketball teams in the College’s history both years he attended the College. He enjoyed a successful career for 41 years in the elevator industry and recently made a gift to the College honoring Coach Stanley Cohen that will provide SUNY Canton students with scholarships to help them achieve their educational goals. Rogers’ Northmen had a record of 34-6 in his two years at Canton. He went on to play Division I basketball at New Mexico State;
  • Emma D. Rose, who is considered by many as the biggest supporter of SUNY Canton Athletics in the history of the College. She was a favorite among coaches, players and other fans, traveling the world with the hockey team and housing a number of players until the late 1980s. She committed herself to the athletic programs for multiple generations. Her commitment to the hockey program earned her the right to drop the first puck at the junior college national tournament when it was held in Canton. Rose worked in a number of capacities at the College while supporting the Northmen; she worked as a stenographer in the Division of Arts and Sciences from 1966 until her retirement in 1979. She continued working at the College on a temporary basis until 1986, working in several departments on the campus, including the President’s office;
  • Louis H. Saban, who helped launch the SUNY Canton football program in 1995 and coached the team for six years, the longest stint of his career. Saban spent 16 seasons coaching professional football with the New England Patriots, Buffalo Bills, and the Denver Broncos. He compiled a 34-16 record during his career at SUNY Canton, including a 7-0 high mark during his first season at the helm of the program. The College’s football field was proudly named in his honor in the late 90′s. He also spent time as president of the New York Yankees working closely with famed owner George Steinbrenner;
  • Lottie E. Southworth, who joined the College’s staff after teaching at local public schools and served as an assistant to an instructor in domestic arts. She helped shape the College as one of the most influential early instructors. She worked primarily with the women and provided them with the experience needed to be successful in domestic professions. Southworth  supervised the Practice House, located near campus, where students learned to cook, clean and entertain and host guests. She was a favorite among her students and commanded the respect of everyone on campus. Each year, she hosted a tea for everyone at the College at her home in the village. After retiring in 1945, the Southworth Library was named in her honor;
  • Wesley L. Stitt, who has assisted countless North Country high school students in taking the next steps in their education. He chaired the College Council from 1996-2008 and has served in a variety of roles at SUNY Canton since 1964. He was the superintendent of the Ogdensburg City School District until his retirement in 1990. Stitt was the recipient of the President’s Meritorious Service Award in 2010 and was the College’s Distinguished Citizen in 2008. He was at the helm of the College Council during a period where SUNY Canton experienced dramatic growth both in enrollment numbers and four-year degree programs. Stitt was instrumental in securing funds for the Newell Veterinary Technology Center, the Richard W. Miller Campus Center, and the College’s new Roos House athletic center.  He is a consistent proponent of SUNY Canton’s award-winning Steel Bridge Team and the University Police Department;
  • Margaret P. Vining, who worked at the college for 28 years and retired in 1996 as associate dean of the school of health and medical technology. She began work at SUNY Canton in 1968 as an instructional support associate in the nursing lab and later was named director of the nursing program. Under her leadership, the nursing program thrived and the College was able to establish the bachelor’s degree in health services management. A favorite among students, she was one of only 407 nurses statewide to receive the Nurse of Distinction designation in 1991, which is based upon significant contributions to the field of nursing;
  • Erich L. vonSchiller, who served the College for 32 years as an instructor and a coach for four sports teams and is professor emeritus of physical education. He came to the campus as a physical education instructor in 1967 and started the College’s soccer team, which became one of the top programs in the nation after only two years. He was the assistant basketball coach until 1973 when he took over the program. He also coached baseball and lacrosse for one year. VonSchiller’s teams were highly successful, competing in regional and national tournaments, while several of his players were named All-Americans. He retired with more than 1,000 total wins across his collegiate coaching career; and
  • John H. Wells, class of 1951, who established the College’s one-year heating and plumbing service program after owning his own heating and plumbing business for 17 years. He taught at the College for 23 years until his retirement in 1991. His wife Shirley established an endowment scholarship in his honor to recognize his wonderful teaching contributions; his students are among the College’s most successful alumni.
  • Earl W. and Joyce A. MacArthur, who have positively influenced the college for more than 35 years. The SUNY Canton Foundation was created through their vision and foresight. It continues to thrive with their continuing input and guidance. MacArthur served as the College’s President from 1972 to 1993 and ensured a brighter future for SUNY Canton despite the difficult challenges it faced. The College honored him for his leadership in 2005 by naming him the recipient of the annual Distinguished Citizen award;

For those interested in registering, attending the induction ceremony, or for a schedule of alumni weekend events, visit http://www.canton.edu/alumni/reunion_reservation.html. For questions, contact the SUNY Canton Alumni Office at 1-800-811-6727 or by email at alumni@canton.edu.

 

Related Posts:

SUNY Canton Invites Alumni to Compete in New Roos House

Thursday, June 2nd, 2011

SUNY Canton’s annual alumni weekend will be highlighted by games in the brand-new Roos House Athletic Center and an inaugural College-wide Hall of Fame induction.

Alumni weekend will begin at 9 a.m. Friday, June 10, with events lasting through Sunday, June 12, at venues around campus and the Canton community.

The College’s Alumni Office made special invitation to former student-athletes, coaches and fans to help celebrate the completion of the $42-million athletic facility.

Hockey

“The idea for this year’s alumni weekend is based on the incredibly successful hockey reunion we held in 2006,” said SUNY Canton President Joseph L. Kennedy. “We’ve extended an invitation to former athletes and coaches from all sports, but we hope that all alumni come take part in this important moment in the College’s history.”

At the previous hockey reunion, nearly 200 players returned to their alma mater. Select guests were chosen to ceremonially break the ice for the new building, which included plans to bring a rink to the college’s campus for the first time.

“With the opening of the Roos House, SUNY Canton will enjoy ‘home ice’ for the first time ever,” noted Terry Martin, who served as the College’s head men’s ice hockey coach for 25 years and compiled a record of 527-211-29 that also included 12 national championship titles. Martin also served as men’s athletic director, women’s soccer coach, men’s lacrosse coach and taught in the physical education department at various points while at SUNY Canton.

“I’ve been to athletic centers across the country and this is among the best that I’ve seen,” he said.

The College’s inaugural Hall of Fame induction will also take place during the weekend. The dinner will celebrate 25 alumni, retired faculty, staff, and college founders who have made significant contributions to the history of SUNY Canton and the surrounding community.

Alumni Weekend

“Our alumni and friends have accomplished so much throughout their lifetime and we are proud to honor them in this way,” said Julie Parkman, associate director of development. “The Hall of Fame and its members tell SUNY Canton’s story through their examples of dedication and service.”

Over the next two years, the College will celebrate 100 inductees who will be known as the Hall of Fame Century Club. Annual inductions will take place once the Century Club is in place.

For a schedule of alumni weekend events or to register, visit http://www.canton.edu/alumni/reunion_reservation.html. For questions, contact the SUNY Canton Alumni Office at 1-800-811-6727 or by email at alumni@canton.edu.

 

Related Posts: