Physical Therapist Assistant - Admissions Requirements
The Physical Therapist Assistant program is a selective admissions program. Select your appropriate student status to view specific admission requirements.
- NYS HS Students
- Out-of-State HS Students
- College / Transfers
- Completed PT Courses
|Biology||75 or greater on the Living Environment Regents Exam|
|Chemistry||75 or greater on the Chemistry Regents Exam|
|Math||75 or greater on the Geometry Regents Exam plus another year of Regents-level Math|
|Biology||80 Biology Course Average|
|Chemistry||80 Chemistry Course Average|
|Math||80 Geometry Course Average plus one additional math|
|Standardized Test Scores||SAT score of 1080 or higher (out of 1600 new version) or an ACT composite score of 21 or higher|
|Biology||C Minimum Course Average in Introductory Biology or Higher Level Biology|
|Chemistry||C Minimum Course Average in Introductory Chemistry or Higher Level Chemistry|
|Math||C Minimum Course Average in Intermediate Algebra or Higher Level Math|
|Math and Science GPA||3.0 Cumulative GPA|
- Applicants who have completed physical therapy related coursework may be eligible for admission to the program in advanced standing.
- Applicants are required to provide the Program Director with a copy of their transcript and course syllabi from all relevant courses to determine eligibility for advanced standing.
Applicants should review the PTA Program Admission Rubric for additional academic considerations for admission review.
Recommended Supporting Documents
Although not required, it is highly recommended that applicants consider these requirements to strengthen their application.
Minimum of 20 hours of observation in a physical therapy setting with completed recommendation form from the supervising therapist; ideally this would include two different types of physical therapy settings (i.e. inpatient and outpatient).
Reflective Summary of observation experience and why the applicant is interested in the physical therapy profession (500 words or less).
How to Apply
- Check PTA Admissions Requirements chart to determine eligibility.
- Submit The Common Application or the SUNY Application on-line. Be sure to select Physical Therapist Assistant as your intended major. (links to the apps)
- Ensure any supporting documentation that has been completed is submitted as follows:
- Observation Hours: Submit PTA Program Observation Experience Form to supervising therapist. The supervising therapist should return the form to the admissions department as indicated at the bottom of the form.
- Reflective Summary: Email summary to firstname.lastname@example.org
- You may wish to check in with the Office of Admissions to verify that they have received all appropriate materials.
Application Review Process
The priority application deadline is February 1st. Review of qualified applicants will begin in early February with ongoing reviews monthly until the enrollment cap of 24 students is reached. A waiting list will be created for any additional accepted applicants and will be drawn from if spots become available. The PTA Program Director has the right to make all final admissions decisions at his/her discretion taking into consideration all aspects of the student's application and academic record.
Meeting minimum requirements does not guarantee admission to the PTA program.
Deborah Molnar, PT, DPT, MSEd
PTA Program Director