- FYE Special Topics!
- The First Year Experience at SUNY Canton
- Interested in teaching FYEP 101?
- Sample FYEP Syllabus
Do you want to know all the ins and outs of being a SUNY Canton student? Do you want to know how to be successful in college and in your future career? We are here to help you do just that!
FYEP 101 is dedicated to guiding first year students to plan for and achieve career, educational, and academic goals for college and for life. We will provide you with the tools necessary to navigate college life smoothly. FYEP will:
- facilitate your transition into college life
- introduce you to the wide range of campus activities and opportunities to enhance learning and personal growth
- establish positive relationships with campus personnel both in and out of the classroom
- empower you to develop responsibility and independence
How does FYE help me?
FYEP 101 instructors will be one of your campus "go-to" people for your many questions and needs as you transition to being a successful college-level learner. We will encourage you to be a part of the campus culture and will support you to be the best college student you choose to be. You are in charge of your destiny in college, but that doesn't mean that you have to blaze the trail all on your own. Again, we are here to help!
What will I learn in FYEP 101?
Do you know what career you want, what education level you need to get there, and what classes to take here to graduate (including course sequencing and General Education requirements)? We will utilize group work, discussion, lecture, and technology to teach you exactly what you need to know to be successful.
You will also learn the following. You may think you already know some of this content, but in reality, college brings new meaning to these topics:
- available campus resources
- academic skills
- time management
- campus safety
- introductory research skills
- Advising and course registration process
We have all of our sections in place for Fall 2017! If you are interested in submitting a proposal for Fall 2018, please contact Sharon Tavernier to discuss.
Advising & First Year Programs
Miller Campus Center 224
Canton, NY 13617
Mon - Fri. 8:00am - 4:30pm